[can.general] Canada's policy of support for the Khmer Rouge

miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) (08/31/89)

Do not most Canadians oppose the policies of genocide of the Khmer Rouge
and are not most Canadians opposed to the Khmer Rouge becoming part of
any government of Cambodia in the future?

Does the Government of Canada represent the views of Canadians?

If the answer to both of these questions is "yes", can someone please
answer the following question.

Why has the representative of the Government of Canada maintained a
position at the conference in Paris, which has just unsuccessfully
concluded, that the Khmer Rouge must be a part of any future government
of Cambodia?

Maybe it is time to phone or write to your MP and find out what their
views are on this disturbing policy position of the Government of
Canada.

//Greg Miller

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (09/06/89)

In article <3726@uwovax.uwo.ca> miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) writes:

   Why has the representative of the Government of Canada maintained a
   position at the conference in Paris, which has just unsuccessfully
   concluded, that the Khmer Rouge must be a part of any future government
   of Cambodia?

   Maybe it is time to phone or write to your MP and find out what their
   views are on this disturbing policy position of the Government of
   Canada.

I am pleasantly surprised to hear that SOMEONE (aside from the
Vietnamese and Cambodians) are concerned about this issue.  Although
the Khmer Rouge slaughtered 2 million of their population of 7 million
(including anyone they found wearing glasses (sign of education -->
danger to the state)) and continue to terrorize their own countrymen,
Canada follows the lead of the US in denying the legitimacy of the
current Cambodian govt of Hun Sen, because that govt is supported by
those godless commies, the Vietnamese who have (oh my gosh) invaded
Cambodia and haven't yet left.  No one in the UN mentions the fact
that Vietnam's invasion also stopped the senseless slaughter in
Cambodia.

This is all part and parcel of the US's political dance in Southeast
Asia to make sure that the world knows that it still hates Vietnam for
having won the war and for being supported by the USSR.  The US
refuses aid to Vietnam and to Cambodia until such time as Vietnam
removes all its troops from Cambodia.  Of course, once that happens,
Sihanouk and his Khmer Rouge pals will proceed with the same
atrocities they committed only a few years ago while the world sat
back and watched.

Of course, this is an unbiased opinion!
--
T. Kim Nguyen 				  kim@watsup.waterloo.{edu|cdn}
					        kim@watsup.uwaterloo.ca

miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) (09/07/89)

In article <KIM.89Sep5222615@watsup.waterloo.edu>, kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) writes:
> In article <3726@uwovax.uwo.ca> miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) writes:
> I am pleasantly surprised to hear that SOMEONE (aside from the
> Vietnamese and Cambodians) are concerned about this issue.

I was absolutely horrified on Sunday evening when relating this matter
to two "educated" Canadians, that one of them did not know who the
Khmer Rouge were and asked "what is Cambodia".  And this was a civil
servant working for the DVA of the Government of Canada!

> Canada follows the lead of the US in denying the legitimacy of the
> current Cambodian govt of Hun Sen, because that govt is supported by
> those godless commies, the Vietnamese who have (oh my gosh) invaded
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Cambodia and haven't yet left.  No one in the UN mentions the fact
> that Vietnam's invasion also stopped the senseless slaughter in
> Cambodia.

But the Khmer Rouge have proved themselves to be "godless commies"
by their reign of terror, and that should be clear to the Department
of External Affairs.

In fact on the policy of support for the Khmer Rouge, Canada is *not*
following the lead of the US, as the US does *not* support any role
for the Khmer Rouge in a future government.

So I  ask again why aren't Canadians protesting their government's support
for a group of genocidal killers?

//Greg Miller