[can.general] Oh NO! Facts!

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (09/06/89)

In article <261@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>Just the other day I heard some (obviously ill-advised) commentator say that
>there was no evidence for carcingenic effects other than studies on mice.
>And that there where no recorded deaths from PCB's. He did reference a
>Japanese study where some workers exposed to PCB's had a skin
>dis-colouration.

 A major article in the Toronto Star Sept 2 quotes prominent scientists
such as John Polanyi (recent Nobel in Chemistry), Emmanuel Farber (an
authority on toxicology) and Friends of the Earth representative Kai Millyard.
Some excerpts:

Polanyi: "We have abandoned perspective in the assessment of risks."
He suggests that the automobile is a far more dangerous element.

Farber: "People have the perception of the worst (but) PCBs by
themselves are very low in potency.  You would need a large exposure
over years (to have any harmful effect). [...] I can't say PCBs are
safe or not safe.  I *can* say that on the basis of long observation
they are *probably* safe.  That's the hardest thing to communicate,
because it's not emotional."

There are 209 different varieties of PCBs...Recent research indicates
that, except for sometimes causing skin rashes, most PCBs are
virtually harmless to human beings.  The varietys with the most
chlorine atoms attached are considered capable of causing some cancers
in laboratory animals if exposure is heavy and prolonged.  But those
varieties always were a miniscule part of the PCB mixtures supplied to
the electrical industry.

That could explain study results on 2500 U.S. workers in electrical
equipment factories, who had their hands in PCBs every day, some of
them for as long as 35 years.  These people, despite the greatest PCB
exposure ever recorded, showed no more cancer than in the general
public.  In one plant, the cancer level was below the national average.

Canadian-born Steven Safe, now at Texas A&M, has been researching PCBs
for 20 years says: "In cancer, the bottom line is death, and there is
no increase (in deaths among humans, from PCB exposure, anywhere)." He
also showed that PCBs can reduce the risk of cancer from similar
chemicals: furans and dioxins.

Kai Millyard: "They're not the most toxic chemicals around.  They have
moderate toxicity.  But the fact they persist so long, and store up in
fatty tissues, make even that moderate toxicity a more serious problem."

A report to be presented to the American Chemical Society this week
will indicate that anaerobic microbes at the bottom of rivers and
lakes devour PCBs giving them a 1/2 life of 5-10 years in these
environments.

M.A.Hayes, associate professor of pathology at Guelph feels PCBs
probably have saved many lives, in two ways: by preventing fires in
electrical equipment; and by their andidote action in fighting the
effects of furans and dioxins that humans may encounter.

The bottom line: The independent New York based American Council on
Science and Health has repeatedly argued for more logical priorities
in what people worry about.  It notes cigarettes kill 50,000 Americans
every year, as many Americans as died in the entire Vietnam war.  It
lists annual deaths in the thousands from alcohol, drugs, untreated
high blood pressure, and other causes.  For PCBs, it lists the total
deaths attributed to them in the U.S. since they went into use 60
years ago: 0 (zero).

Note: I made no editorial comments in the above excerpts, and tried
to represent the tone of the original article accurately.  I consider
myself an environmentalist, belong to Pollution Probe, etc.  My
feeling on the PCB issue basically reflects that of this article: PCBs
probably shouldn't be poured on your breakfast cereal, at least not on
a regular basis, but they are FAR from the greatest threats to life
and liberty in our society!  As such we should treat them carefully,
and should probably destroy those that remain as expeditiously as
possible.

	../Dave

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/07/89)

In article <1989Sep6.141953.14830@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>In article  <8328@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>Are PCBs that dangerous?  I have read that they are quite inert -- that's
>
>In article <28908@watmath.waterloo.edu> sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) writes:
>>They are massively carcinogenic on contact.  They have on 'no effect
>
> A major article in the Toronto Star Sept 2 quotes prominent scientists
>such as John Polanyi (recent Nobel in Chemistry), Emmanuel Farber (an
>authority on toxicology) and Friends of the Earth representative Kai Millyard.
>Some excerpts:

Thank you Dave. Finally someone who has a copy of some sensible comments
from prominent researchers has taken the time to type them in. I
particularly dislike the media's attempts to "hype" PCB's into a menace far
out of proportion to what the fact's would indicate. And it really disturbs
me when these comments get propagated onto the net. If more people would
take the time to think about what they are posting perhaps we could actually
educate ourselves a bit more.

Anyhow, once again, a big thank you to Dave Mason for typing in the excerpts
from that article.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)