[can.general] Ottawa Awards Stanley Cup to Quebec

dre@myrias.com (Duane Eitzen) (09/20/89)

I stole this from rec.sport.hockey. Its origin is unclear.
Enjoy:
                OTTAWA AWARDS STANLEY CUP TO QUEBEC

OTTAWA - The federal government today announced it would award the STANLEY
CUP to Quebec, even though Alberta's CALGARY FLAMES won the competition.

The cup will go, instead to Quebec's MONTREAL CANADIENS, who were defeated
by the FLAMES four games to two in the best-of-seven series.

Prime Minister Brian Mulroney said the hockey series was "only a guideline,"
and non-binding. He conceded that CALGARY might have been the best hockey
team, "but we have to look at what's best for Canada."

"We have to support Canada's hockey industry which is centered in Montreal"
said the prime minister. "Montreal is in the best position to take full
advantage of the Stanley Cup."

He said the decision to overrule the playoff results was "difficult and
painful," but that national interests had to prevail over petty "regional
considerations."

Loss of the coveted trophy left most of Alberta seething with rage.

"It's another example of Quebec getting the goodies and the West getting
the shaft," said Ted Byfield, editor of the stridently regionalized news
magazine _Western Report_.

Western Tory MP's were not so hostile. They shuffled their feet, clenched
their buttocks, pursed their lips and said nothing at all. Neither did
Alberta premier Don Getty, who was golfing and unavailable for comment.
However, reliable sources indicated he seemed "quite upset" and was "way
off his game."

Indignant Quebec MP's who lobbied long and hard for the Stanley Cup
vehemently denied that the decision had anything to do with politics.

"It's not as if the West isn't getting its fair share of federal support,"
sniffed Benoit Bouchard, the Tories senior Quebec cabinet minister. "We've
announced the Lloydminster upgrader eight or nine times. The West received
the very lucrative contract for air in the CF-18 deal. And let's not forget
about all that rain for Western farmers this spring."

Quebec industry minister Pierre Johnson dismissed Western complaints as
"anti-French hysteria from Alberta dinosaurs."

"Quebec absolutely deserves this," he said. "The MONTREAL CANADIENS have
extensive experience as Stanley Cup champions, while the CALGARY FLAMES
have none at all. Sure CALGARY won this particular series with a couple of
fluke goals and lucky saves, but the CANADIENS have proven themselves over
the long haul."

"If we're denied the Stanley Cup now, it could only rejuvenate Quebec
seperatism and threaten the integrity of all of Canada."

"Ottawa has done plenty for the West," said Saskatchewan premier Grant
Devine. "Just look at the Dundurn army base. They could have shut it down,
and they didn't. They let Swift Current keep the Memorial Cup. And there's
a darn good chance we'll get to keep our Via Rail service too."

Quebec premier Robert Bourassa was delighted to see the cup go to MONTREAL.
He said the trophy will be re-engraved with its new name - "La Coupe
Stanley" to comply with Quebec sign laws.

ndonald@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Nick Donaldson) (09/20/89)

Is this REALLY true? If so, Ottawa has just made one of the biggest,
dumbest blunders it ever could. What does such a move say to hockey
people? In my opinion, it says "It doesn't matter how you play the
game, it's where you live that counts." Is the Stanley Cup not an
award of merit for the best-performing hockey of the NHL season?
That's like saying, (hypothetically) that the Grey Cup should go to
(for example) Edmonton because the CFL industry is centred there.
*** REMEMBER, JUST AN EXAMPLE ***. This is pure insanity on the part
of the crew in our nation's capital and one could definitely see yet
even more negative feelings than there are now. That's how I see it
anyway.
--
        Nick Donaldson
Bitnet -                 Ndonald@UOFMCC or

a80@mindlink.UUCP (Greg Goss) (09/21/89)

> ndonald writes:
>

> Is this REALLY true? If so, Ottawa has just made one of the biggest,

Nope.  This is mainly a translation of an aircraft repair decision into an
analogous field where the logic (or lack) is more clearly apparent.

The original event was the awarding of the fighter repair contract to Montreal
despite Winnipeg winning the competition.

.../greg

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/21/89)

In article <1989Sep20.140744.23984@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
>game, it's where you live that counts." Is the Stanley Cup not an
>award of merit for the best-performing hockey of the NHL season?
>That's like saying, (hypothetically) that the Grey Cup should go to
>(for example) Edmonton because the CFL industry is centred there.

Like no way. Montreal should get it. We have to make sure that football
thrives in the heart of Canada!!!!

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) (09/21/89)

In article <1989Sep20.140744.23984@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
>Is this REALLY true? If so, Ottawa has just made one of the biggest,
>dumbest blunders it ever could. What does such a move say to hockey
>people? In my opinion, it says "It doesn't matter how you play the
>game, it's where you live that counts." Is the Stanley Cup not an
>award of merit for the best-performing hockey of the NHL season?
Yes. I thought it was a spoof on gov't policies at first but
then I called my MP. He told me that it was true!

Personally, I thought that Montreal deserved the Cup. The
idea that the Stanley Cup is for "merit" is antiquated.
--
Anthony
//// Anthony Scian afscian@violet.uwaterloo.ca afscian@violet.waterloo.edu ////

ndonald@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Nick Donaldson) (09/21/89)

In article <293@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>Like no way. Montreal should get it. We have to make sure that football
>thrives in the heart of Canada!!!!

There is one problem with that Stuart. Montreal is short of one key
thing for getting the grey cup. They, ever so slightly, lack a football
team. Mind you, in the last years of football in Montreal, they never had
a team. :-) By the way, anyone hear any more about Montreal getting an
NFL franchise?
--
        Nick Donaldson
Bitnet -                 Ndonald@UOFMCC or
NetNorth Domain-style -  Ndonald@ccm.umanitoba.ca or
On our Unix box -        Ndonald@ccu.umanitoba.ca

ndonald@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Nick Donaldson) (09/21/89)

To save you from having to send me "relax, it's humorous" messages and
to save me from reading them, :-), I have been informed of the cross-
posting and original intent of the article. Anyway, the cup should to
St. Juhn's or Halifax or something like that. After all, we can't
exclude our Maritime friends from all the partying. :-) So what if they
never had an NHL team!! :-)
--

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) (09/22/89)

In article <1989Sep20.140744.23984@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
>Is this REALLY true?

Sure is Nick, and at the same time, Ottawa decreed that because Quebec had
no oil resources, Alberta had to hand over 50% of theirs.

In return, Quebec will give Alberta their asbestos mine, two signed
photographs of Jacques Parizeau, and the recipe for Poutine.

--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmt.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray

fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) (09/22/89)

In article <718@philmtl.philips.ca> ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) writes:
>In article <1989Sep20.140744.23984@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
>>Is this REALLY true?
>
>Sure is Nick, [...]
>In return, Quebec will give Alberta their asbestos mine, two signed
>photographs of Jacques Parizeau, and the recipe for Poutine.

Hey!  Don't be so quick to give away the recipe for Poutine, I've never
even had one!  (Actually, I was quite amazed to learn about four or five
years ago that they were supposed to be quite common around here... I
guess I grew up in the wrong neighbourhood or something.)

As for the suggestion made by Stuart that Montreal should get the Grey Cup
instead of the Stanley cup, I must admit that it appeals to me: it is
somehow fitting that the city that gets the Grey Cup should be a city
that doesn't have a CFL team anymore ;-) -- I guess it probably ends up
being the team that has lost the fewest games at the end of the season!
(Don't look at me that way, I actually *had* season's tickets for the
Concordes/Alouettes games when they still existed)  (*now* you can look
at me as if I've lost my mind -- most people did, I guess that why the
team folded ;-)   (Still, it was kind of fun in a masochistic kind of
way: "We're number four!  We're number four!"  "Wake up Gallat!"
"Boooo Barnes!" ;-)  (A bunch of friends and I had had tickets for
about 6 years when the team disappeared...  Does anybody remember
Vince Ferragamo?)

Anyway, back to sleep!!!

(PS. After Kim's last posting on military stuff, I guess I should mention
     that CAE does *not* make weapons of destruction!  Heck, I even work
     on Man-Machine Interfaces in the Energy Management Systems department!)
--
 Denis Fortin,                            | fortin@zap.uucp
 CAE Electronics Ltd                      | uunet!philmtl!zap!fortin

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/22/89)

In article <1989Sep21.141233.15542@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
>There is one problem with that Stuart. Montreal is short of one key
>thing for getting the grey cup. They, ever so slightly, lack a football
>team. Mind you, in the last years of football in Montreal, they never had

That's the point.

If we *give* them the grey cup then they would *have* to revive their
football team. Right!

Keep the dream alive.

BTW I watched my first football game in about five years last weekend.
Winnipeg trounced the Lions in overtime. Great game. Now that's over with I
guess I can wait another five years to watch another one :-) Wouldn't have
watched that one, but for some reason CBC decided to rebroadcast it at 1:00
AM on Sunday morning. I usually tape another show from CBC at 1:30 but the
time varies by as much as five minutes either way, so I usually check to
make sure it start's ok. The bloody game ran until about 2:30 and they never
did put the show I was waiting for on :-(

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

flint@me.utoronto.ca (Kenneth Flint) (09/23/89)

In article <1989Sep20.140744.23984@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
>Is this REALLY true?
[Stuff deleted about Ottawa awarding the good old Stanley Cup to Montreal
and Nick's shock with regards to that.]

You included no smileys in your article so I am assuming you are
serious in asking this question.

No, the article was a joke.

(I thought it was great!)

>        Nick Donaldson

Ken

--
Kenneth Flint	flint@me.UTORONTO.BITNET	UUCP: ...!utai!me!flint
		flint@me.utoronto.ca

gord@spycal.UUCP (Gordon Delaney) (09/25/89)

In article <718@philmtl.philips.ca>, ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) writes:
> In article <1989Sep20.140744.23984@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
= >Is this REALLY true?
=
= Sure is Nick, and at the same time, Ottawa decreed that because Quebec had
= no oil resources, Alberta had to hand over 50% of theirs.
=
= In return, Quebec will give Alberta their asbestos mine, two signed
= photographs of Jacques Parizeau, and the recipe for Poutine.
=
= --
= Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmt.philips.ca
= Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray
= 600 Dr Frederik Philips Blvd | TEL : (514) 744-8200  Ext : 2347 (Phonemail)
= St Laurent. Quebec.  H4M 2S9 | FAX : (514) 744-6455  TLX : 05-824090

If we give them 60% could the PLEASE keep the recipe??

Gord D.

--

Gord Delaney      Guest at: UNISYS Canada Inc.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

yackob@ccu.umanitoba.ca (09/27/89)

At the risk of embarrassing my family and friends, I must ask the inevitable...
What is Poutine?  Is the recipe so valued that it is worth giving up the
Grey Cup?  It sounds like a bed-time drink, like Ovaltine, only it must
have chicken bits floating around in it.

Kerry Yackoboski
no fixed address
no job, no hope, no future.  Nice fractals, though.

salomon@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Salomon) (09/27/89)

Poutine is a fast food invented in Quebec.  The recipe is actually
pretty short: french fries, gravy, and cheese curds.  It tastes better
than it sounds, and is more nutritious than french fries alone.

I believe that, as with the rest of these Stanley Cup & Grey Cup
posting, sarcasm was intended.

By the way, if you go into a restaurant and ask for a "putain"
by mistake, you'll either get you face slapped, or find yourself
paying a lot more than you expected.