[can.general] Re^2: postings in the French language

clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) (09/28/89)

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

>In article <1989Sep26.132533.12660@utzoo.uucp> martin@utzoo.uucp (Martin Hofmann) writes:
>Anyone out there know how I can configure rn to automatically skip articles
>with french in them :-)

That would be tough, considering that there's a pretty good chance that any
English paragraph will contain a word that is identical to and perhaps stolen
from a French word.

(In that last paragraph, I see only one such word:  "chance."  But I think
I tend to use shorter words than most English writers.  For example, in this
paragraph, I see no such words -- even "example" is spelled differently from
its French equivalent.  Oops -- what about "equivalent"?)

Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058
clarke@csri.toronto.edu     or    clarke@csri.utoronto.ca
   or ...!{uunet, pyramid, watmath, ubc-cs}!utai!utcsri!clarke

halliday@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Laura Halliday) (09/28/89)

The pattern emerges! People who say `OK, post in French if you wish' tend
to be from Ontario and Quebec. People who say `What's this garbage? Where's
my kill file?' tend to be from Western Canada.

I don't care either way; by posting in the closest we have to a universal
language (sorry, Esperanto enthusiasts), I can exchange ideas with the widest
possible audience. I'm moderately bilingual, myself. Not because Canada's a
bilingual country, but because people who only speak one language don't really
understand it. You must study a second (or third or...) language to understand
your own.

...laura

sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) (09/28/89)

In article <5140@ubc-cs.UUCP> halliday@cc.ubc.ca (Laura Halliday) writes:

>The pattern emerges! People who say `OK, post in French if you wish' tend
>to be from Ontario and Quebec. People who say `What's this garbage? Where's
>my kill file?' tend to be from Western Canada.

This is false.  I've lived in Ontario all my life, and still think
that French postings are silly.  Posters have a right to do it, IMHO,
but for the practical purpose of posting to a broadly read news group,
they might as well encrypt it first.

>...laura
Login name:	sccowan			In real life: S. Crispin Cowan
Office:		DC3548	x3934		Home phone: 570-2517
Post Awful:	60 Overlea Drive, Kitchener, N2M 1T1
UUCP:		watmath!watmsg!sccowan
Domain:		sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu

"Everything to excess.  Moderation is for monks."
	-Lazarus Long

grothman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Gary Grothman) (09/29/89)

In article <5140@ubc-cs.UUCP> halliday@cc.ubc.ca (Laura Halliday) writes:

>The pattern emerges! People who say `OK, post in French if you wish' tend
>to be from Ontario and Quebec. People who say `What's this garbage? Where's
>my kill file?' tend to be from Western Canada.
>...laura

     Augh!  I've been slammed!  My deep-rooted Western nationalism is breaking
out in spots.

     No, really, just a reminder that this whole schlamuzel was started by a
gentleman at U of Western Ontario.  I like the French postings, I need the
practice.

     I see know reason why we all can't just relax and take it easy ... eas
... eas ... Eastern Bums And Creeps Out Of The West!    B-)

     Oops, sorry.  I lost it for a moment, but I'm alright now.  Anyway, gotta
run.  Me and some of the other dinosaurs are off to play in the tar pits.

Gary.                                                   grothman@uc.ucalgary.ca