[can.general] postings in the French language

miller@uwovax.uwo.ca (Greg Miller) (09/26/89)

In article <1178@mannix.iros1.UUCP>, leonard@pivele.iro.umontreal.ca (Nicolas Leonard) writes:
> Oh, jusqu'ici ca va...
[and subsequent postings in the French language]

Is not the group can.francais more appropriate for these postings,
after all this is not can.politique?

//Greg Miller

tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Tim Nelson) (09/26/89)

In article <3837.251eb4d9@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:
>In article <1178@mannix.iros1.UUCP>, leonard@pivele.iro.umontreal.ca (Nicolas Leonard) writes:
>> Oh, jusqu'ici ca va...
>[and subsequent postings in the French language]
>
>Is not the group can.francais more appropriate for these postings,
>after all this is not can.politique?

Why do you think that we should limit our discussions to a single language?
Granted this is the language of international commerce, but if someone
wishes to converse in any other language, especially the official second
language of this country, why not allow this?
Also, if all French language discussions took place in can.francais, it
would be such a mess that it would be hard to follow any discussions.

If you are still bothered by this, then I suggest a semi-solution:
Anyone posting an article in French also, in the same article, post the
English translation, and anyone posting an article in English also, again
in the same article, post the French translation.  That is if the poster
knows the other language.

Come on now, lighten up. 8-)

=================
tim (nelson)     | uucp        ...!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!tim
ncr canada       | internet     tim@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM
(416) 826-9000   | 6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 2E2
=================
* Have a good day, and a great forever.

schuck@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Mary Margaret Schuck) (09/26/89)

In article <3837.251eb4d9@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:
>In article <1178@mannix.iros1.UUCP>, leonard@pivele.iro.umontreal.ca (Nicolas Leonard) writes:
>> Oh, jusqu'ici ca va...
>[and subsequent postings in the French language]
>
>Is not the group can.francais more appropriate for these postings,
>after all this is not can.politique?

This is just one of several such postings today.  Have I missed
something or is French not still one of our official languages
in Canada?  (Or have these groups been renamed anglophone.general
and anglophone.politics?)

I will be the first to admit that I don't find it very easy to
follow the French postings, but isn't that half the point of
the debate?  If we deny francophones the right to post in
French on a mostly English net, then defending the rights
of the English-speaking minority in Quebec starts to look
like just self-serving hypocrisy.

(Just type slowly, please...:-))

	Mary Margaret.
	My mailer hates everyone.  Try to deceive it if possible.
schuck@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca    {decvax,attcan,watmath...}!utzoo!dciem!schuck

martin@utzoo.uucp (Martin Hofmann) (09/26/89)

In article <3837.251eb4d9@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:
>In article <1178@mannix.iros1.UUCP>, leonard@pivele.iro.umontreal.ca (Nicolas Leonard) writes:
>> Oh, jusqu'ici ca va...
>[and subsequent postings in the French language]
>
>Is not the group can.francais more appropriate for these postings,
>after all this is not can.politique?

The name of this group is can.general not can.english!  Since french is one
of the official languages of canada, I see no reason why one can not write
in french in this group.  I'm sure there are many people who are
sufficiently bilingual to read either english or french postings, and do not
want to exclude those people who feel more comfortable writing in french
(just as I feel more comfortable writing in english).  Those people who cannot
read french, can either skip the article or take a french course at their local
high school.  Il ne faut pas beaucoup pour apprendre assez pour lire.
--
The world is sacred.  You cannot improve it.	| Martin Hofmann, U of Toronto
If you try to change it, you will ruin it.	| martin@zoo.toronto.edu

webber@utstat.uucp (Bob Webber) (09/26/89)

In article <3837.251eb4d9@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:
>In article <1178@mannix.iros1.UUCP>, leonard@pivele.iro.umontreal.ca (Nicolas Leonard) writes:
>> Oh, jusqu'ici ca va...
>[and subsequent postings in the French language]
>
>Is not the group can.francais more appropriate for these postings,
>after all this is not can.politique?
>
>//Greg Miller

Pourquoi pas?  Consider it a challenge (no, better, an _opportunity_) to
learn something about Canada's other official language and other imperialist
running dog founding culture.  Or a chance to make new friends by politely
asking for a translation if your language skills aren't up to par.
--
Bob Webber, Office of the Dean of Arts and Science, University of Toronto
Internet: webber@artsci.toronto.edu; webber@utstat.toronto.edu

sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) (09/27/89)

In article <1989Sep26.153200.959@utstat.uucp> webber@utubrutus.toronto.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
>In article <3837.251eb4d9@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:
>>In article <1178@mannix.iros1.UUCP>, leonard@pivele.iro.umontreal.ca (Nicolas Leonard) writes:
>>> Oh, jusqu'ici ca va...
>>[and subsequent postings in the French language]
>>
>>Is not the group can.francais more appropriate for these postings,
>>after all this is not can.politique?
>>
>>//Greg Miller
>
>Pourquoi pas?  Consider it a challenge (no, better, an _opportunity_) to
>learn something about Canada's other official language and other imperialist
>running dog founding culture.  Or a chance to make new friends by politely
>asking for a translation if your language skills aren't up to par.

This is one of the issues that I consider to be a major problem.
Among anyone but civil servants, 'par' in French is about zip.  I like
it that way.  I don't do any significant business with anyone in
Quebec.  I don't know anyone i Quebec.  No significant amount of work
in my field (computer architecture) is published in French.
Therefore, I am completely un-interested in investing the man YEARS
required to acquire the language to any degree of utility.

On the other hand, it is becoming a standard requirement that any
medium to high level civil servant be bi-lingual.  Since bi-lingualism
is almost completely non-existant outside of Quebec, this creates a
tremendous bias towards people from Quebec.  In a predomenantly
English country, I regard this as un-fair discrimination.  It is also
divicive.  People tend not to like the federal government now.  How
will western Canada feel about it when every time they talk to a
federal civil servant the first thing they hear is 'Bonjoure',
followed by broken english.  It's not fun feeling like an immigrant in
your native country.

Crispin
Login name:	sccowan			In real life: S. Crispin Cowan
Office:		DC3548	x3934		Home phone: 570-2517
Post Awful:	60 Overlea Drive, Kitchener, N2M 1T1
UUCP:		watmath!watmsg!sccowan
Domain:		sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu

"Everything to excess.  Moderation is for monks."
	-Lazarus Long

desaulni@liszt.mpr.ca (Richard W. Desaulniers) (09/27/89)

In article <29431@watmath.waterloo.edu> sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) writes:
>medium to high level civil servant be bi-lingual.  Since bi-lingualism
>is almost completely non-existant outside of Quebec, this creates a
>tremendous bias towards people from Quebec.  In a predomenantly

This will come as a surprise to approximately 20% of the
bilingual franco-phones who live outside of Quebec!

Regards;               |

Richard W. Desaulniers | InterNet: desaulni@liszt.mpr.ca

hwt@.uucp (Henry Troup) (09/27/89)

In article <1989Sep26.132533.12660@utzoo.uucp> martin@utzoo.uucp (Martin Hofmann) writes:
>The name of this group is can.general not can.english!  Since french is one

That's right, it's not can.politics.  Please take this discussion there.
utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not       | All that evil requires
hwt@bnr.ca (BITNET/NETNORTH)         | responsible for  | is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)               | my opinions      | nothing.

ebspencer@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Bruce Spencer) (09/27/89)

In article <29431@watmath.waterloo.edu> sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) writes:
> It's not fun feeling like an immigrant in your native country.

That *is* the point. But for the other side, Crispin.

Why does anybody have to feel like an immigrant? Live and let live.

Bruce Spencer                   CS Dept, University of Waterloo,
				Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L-3G1.

norvell@csri.toronto.edu (Theo Norvell) (09/27/89)

In article <29431@watmath.waterloo.edu> Crispan Cowan writes:
>People tend not to like the federal government now.  How
>will western Canada feel about it when every time they talk to a
>federal civil servant the first thing they hear is 'Bonjoure',
>followed by broken english.
>
>Crispin

What is it you are against (a) Bilingualism in the civil service or (b)
Francophone civil servants.  If (b), you are being incredibly racist in
a predomenantly tolerant country.  If (a), you are likely to hear
'Bonjoure' followed by fluent French.

>It's not fun feeling like an immigrant in
>your native country.

Perhaps. But if you feel that way whenever you are speaking in English to
a Francophone civil servant, you are being really immature.

As a unilingual, I am glad that the civil service has a bias toward people
who can speak to the public in the languages spoken by the public.  That
way I can speak in the language of my choice.

And (back to the original point) I am glad that I can post to this
newsgroup in the language of my choice.  So while I disagree with
the content of the recent French postings, I defend their right
to be posted.

Theo

P.s.  I don't like the federal government either, but more for what
they are saying than for the language they use.

You can write in any language you want.  Mind you, if you don't write
in English, the default language of this net, it would be polite to
put "Language: French" on the header or somesuch.  But that's not too
important.

If you write in French, the result will simply be that the large majority
of the readers here won't read your posting, or in many cases *can't* read.
It's up to you, but posting in such a way to deliberately limit your audience
seems unwise.  I can understand most of the French postings myself, but not
well, and sometimes not well enough to enter the discussion for fear that I
have misinterpreted what I have read.

In fact, since nobody who doesn't read English would be reading this group,
one can only assume that posting en Francais is done to make a point.

Canada has two official languages, but if somebody came to you and asked
directions in English, to respond in French (when you know English) would
be rude.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

andrew@idacom.UUCP (Andrew Scott) (09/27/89)

In article <3837.251eb4d9@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:
>Is not the group can.francais more appropriate for these postings,
>after all this is not can.politique?

I don't mind seeing French postings in can.general nearly as much as I mind
seeing political postings in can.general.

I've seen too many postings about the GST and language laws (among others)
than I care to read in can.general.  The newsgroup can.politics was created
for these topics.  If only people could be convinced to stop cross-posting
to *.general or *.misc newsgroups....
--
Andrew Scott		| mail:	andrew@idacom  - or -
			|	{att, watmath, ubc-cs}!alberta!idacom!andrew
Bo doesn't know hockey.	|	aunro!idacom!andrew

doc@dgp.toronto.edu (Blaine Price) (09/27/89)

In article <22345@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
| If you write in French, the result will simply be that the large majority
| of the readers here won't read your posting, or in many cases *can't* read.

I would disagree (not that this topic won't be beaten to death anyway...).
I think that the vast majority of the people on the net have a high school
education and one would assume that those subscribing to can.* are likely
Canadian and encountered the French language to some extent in school.  I
had a lousy High School education in French and I can still make sense of
the French postings (although I couldn't respond in grammatically correct
French if my life depended on it).
--
Blaine Price  (416) 978-6619, fax: 4765         doc@dgp.utoronto.{ca,bitnet}
Dynamic Graphics Project, Dept. of Computer Sci.         doc@dgp.toronto.edu

kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) (09/27/89)

In article <1989Sep27.020112.15084@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> doc@dgp.toronto.edu (Blaine Price) writes:
>In article <22345@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>| If you write in French, the result will simply be that the large majority
>| of the readers here won't read your posting, or in many cases *can't* read.
>
>I would disagree (not that this topic won't be beaten to death anyway...).
>I think that the vast majority of the people on the net have a high school
>education and one would assume that those subscribing to can.* are likely
>Canadian and encountered the French language to some extent in school.  I
>had a lousy High School education in French and I can still make sense of
>the French postings (although I couldn't respond in grammatically correct
>French if my life depended on it).
  Are you trying to tell me that 3 years of public school, mostly ORAL
french education while conjugating a few simplistic verbs is going to enable
me to EASILY/QUICKLY/I_READ_A_LOT_OF_NEWS_AND_HAVE_NO_SPARE_TIME_TO_WASTE
read Quebecois-french (the schools tend to teach a very clinical french)
more than 18 years LATER? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
This belongs in some sort of humour newsgroup!
As Brad says, nothing wrong with posting, but don't expect them to get read
by the masses out here in a hurry trying to get through the day;
 or to coin a phrase "You're preaching to the converted"
 -ken
--
   - Ken Dykes, Software Development Group, UofWaterloo, Canada [43.47N 80.52W]
          kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu  [129.97.128.1]

brian@jtsv16.UUCP (Brian A. Jarvis) (09/27/89)

In article <3837.251eb4d9@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:
>In article <1178@mannix.iros1.UUCP>, leonard@pivele.iro.umontreal.ca (Nicolas Leonard) writes:
>> Oh, jusqu'ici ca va...
>[and subsequent postings in the French language]
>
>Is not the group can.francais more appropriate for these postings,
>after all this is not can.politique?
>
>//Greg Miller

I should think that since the topic at hand was the "fascism" of particular
governments dictating where and when a person may use either of the
official languages of Canada, the use of French is perfectly justifiable,
and a useful reminder of what the issue truly is.
And your posting is a poignant reminder that there are people who are
willing to dictate which language Canadian citizens must use.

I do not recall any decree from the Net.Gods that Usenet is English only.

Luv,

Brian

--
Brian A. Jarvis,                        J.T.S. Computer Systems,
brian@jtsv16.jts.com,                   Downsview, Ontario

userRED3@ualtamts.BITNET (Steve Wart) (09/27/89)

In article <1989Sep27.020112.15084@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, doc@dgp.toronto.edu (Blaine Price) writes:
>In article <22345@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>| If you write in French, the result will simply be that the large majority
>| of the readers here won't read your posting, or in many cases *can't* read.
>
>I think that the vast majority of the people on the net have a high school
>education and one would assume that those subscribing to can.* are likely
>Canadian and encountered the French language to some extent in school.  I
>had a lousy High School education in French and I can still make sense of
>the French postings (although I couldn't respond in grammatically correct
>French if my life depended on it).
>--
>Blaine Price  (416) 978-6619, fax: 4765         doc@dgp.utoronto.{ca,bitnet}

My high school French isn't good enough to follow these postings with any
reasonable degree of accuracy, and I'm sure that this is probably the norm
for people reading this group. I for one would appreciate it if people were
to post translations with their followups. Understanding the argument is
more important than being impressed by your bilingualism.

-- Steve

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/28/89)

In article <1989Sep26.132533.12660@utzoo.uucp> martin@utzoo.uucp (Martin Hofmann) writes:
>read french, can either skip the article or take a french course at their local
>high school.  Il ne faut pas beaucoup pour apprendre assez pour lire.

Anyone out there know how I can configure rn to automatically skip articles
with french in them :-)

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

TMCLELLA@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca (Tim Mclellan) (09/28/89)

In article <1989Sep26.181439.28060@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, norvell@csri.toronto.edu (Theo Norvell) writes:

>As a unilingual, I am glad that the civil service has a bias toward people
>who can speak to the public in the languages spoken by the public.  That
>way I can speak in the language of my choice.

I dare you to speak to a civil servant in Russian, Japanese, Ukrainian, or
Italian.  See how far you get.  Hardly the language of one's choice.

The french could be conceived as being either the loudest non-English-speaking
group of people, or perhaps the largest non-English-speaking group of people,
or perhaps a desired trophy on the mantels of elected MP's.  Whoever they are,
they are NOT the only non-English-speaking people in the country.

Does anyone deserve more or less consideration from our Federal Government?

--
Tim McLellan                        University of Alberta
                                    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

doc@dgp.toronto.edu (Blaine Price) (09/28/89)

In article <29462@watmath.waterloo.edu> kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) writes:
|   Are you trying to tell me that 3 years of public school, mostly ORAL
| french education while conjugating a few simplistic verbs is going to enable
| me to EASILY/QUICKLY/I_READ_A_LOT_OF_NEWS_AND_HAVE_NO_SPARE_TIME_TO_WASTE
		       this is a contradiction
| read Quebecois-french (the schools tend to teach a very clinical french)
| more than 18 years LATER? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I'm sorry that you had such a poor education, but I think that things might
have improved in the last two decades.  The fact remains that the country is
officially bilingual and if you choose to know nothing about one of the
official languages then you will be missing something--which is entirely
your choice.
--

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (09/28/89)

In article <3837.251eb4d9@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:
$Is not the group can.francais more appropriate for these postings,
$after all this is not can.politique?

Hmm ... this is can.general; no language is implied in the group name, and
we are after all an officially bilingual country.  I personally support
the idea of posting articles to this group in whatever language the poster
wishes to use.  It seems to me that can.francais is more likely for issues
relating to french-speaking Canadians, rather than for articles on any
Canadian topic which just happen to be written in French.

C'est seulement mon opinion, sans doute.

$//Greg Miller

--
Stephen M. Dunn                         cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
       <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) (09/28/89)

In article <22345@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In fact, since nobody who doesn't read English would be reading this group,
>one can only assume that posting en Francais is done to make a point.

Maybe, then again maybe not.  It is possible to be able to read & understand
a language, but not feel comfortable enough about writing it to want to
take a chance to have your ideas misinterpreted.  (For example, I've noticed
that a number of people respond in English to postings in French adding a
note to the effect that they can understand what is written, but they are
not conversant enough with French to reply in the original poster's
language...  That's sounds fine to me.)

>Canada has two official languages, but if somebody came to you and asked
>directions in English, to respond in French (when you know English) would
>be rude.

True.... to a certain extent.  This is generally the policy that I try
to follow (respond to a posting in its original language -- which is
why I'm posting this in English), but then again it is conceivable that
some people might feel more comfortable writing in their mother tongue
even when they respond to a posting in some other language.  The only
risk that they expose themselves to is that the original poster might
not be able to read the response -- but then again, there's nothing so
terrible about that (I'd object if somebody was using a foreign language
to insult or attack somebody who could not respond, but in all other
cases, it would most probably not matter).

Actually, I have had conversations with people where I spoke French and
they spoke English, and it ended up working pretty well (I'll admit it's
fairly rare, but it's happened to me on a few occasions).
--
 Denis Fortin,                            | fortin@zap.uucp
 CAE Electronics Ltd                      | uunet!philmtl!zap!fortin

kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) (09/28/89)

In article <1989Sep27.172943.15615@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> doc@dgp.toronto.edu (Blaine Price) writes:
>In article <29462@watmath.waterloo.edu> kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) writes:
>>   Are you trying to tell me that 3 years of public school, mostly ORAL
>> french education while conjugating a few simplistic verbs is going to enable
>> me to EASILY/QUICKLY/I_READ_A_LOT_OF_NEWS_AND_HAVE_NO_SPARE_TIME_TO_WASTE
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>		       this is a contradiction
  Not really.  I *choose* what I have time for.  Many newsgroups are of
value to my EDUCATION in my chosen field of work. And I choose those social
and political things I am interested in, however -- time is a limited resource
and everything gets put into the "priority list" as it were.  I do not give
high priority to language translations of dubious political topics on a
computer news network.
Yes i have spare time, but i choose the definition of waste.

>> read Quebecois-french (the schools tend to teach a very clinical french)
>> more than 18 years LATER? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>I'm sorry that you had such a poor education, but I think that things might
  I had an excellent education, and i'm sure at the 4-6th years of french
it may become useful after the "ground laying" of the first 3 years.  However
i *again choose* what topics I spend time on, the topics I chose in high
school were very well taught.
(silly me, choosing triple-science credits when a single-science & french
  AND GERMAN IN THE COMMUNITY I LIVE IN
  would be all I need for a happy life; only the most vacuous of people would
 ignore language instruction...)

>have improved in the last two decades.  The fact remains that the country is
>officially bilingual and if you choose to know nothing about one of the
  keyword is *officially*, PRACTICALLY I need german and italian where i
live, portugese would be useful too.
Idealists and Officialists must have some wonderous way of ceating time
for ALL THOSE GOOD THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD DO.  ...or perhaps they have nothing
better to do...

All I was trying to say in my last posting is, *ON PRACTICAL TERMS* if you
want the masses to read it, write in the language of that particular mass.
I HAVE NO OBJECTION to postings in french, fully support your rights, and
am sure many (but not massive numbers) of people get great benefit from it.
To repeat: if you *want* the masses... if don't want them fine. One must be
practical in the REAL world you know -- I hate to be the one to break the
news(-: to you.

And now, in respect for my precious priority list, I will probably not answer
any more messages on this topic since I have already repeated the point i
want to support; but I don't begrudge this one clarification since english
may not be some peoples strongest language, and I want my thoughts easily
accessible :-) :-)

i wonder, can.talk? this sure isn't a very can.general topic anymore, the
same problems can occur anywhere dealing in multiple languages -- and dont
think there arent places with bigger language problems outside this continent.
  -ken
--

}
}I would disagree (not that this topic won't be beaten to death anyway...).
}I think that the vast majority of the people on the net have a high school
}education and one would assume that those subscribing to can.* are likely
}Canadian and encountered the French language to some extent in school.  I
}had a lousy High School education in French and I can still make sense of
}the French postings (although I couldn't respond in grammatically correct
}French if my life depended on it).

I took French in high school *many* years ago. The closest I've come to
encountering it since then is the occasional French film with sub-titles.
I most certainly can't read french.

Feel free to post in french. But you're probably wasting net.bandwidth if
you don't limit the distribution to Quebec. Personally I just hit "n".

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) (09/28/89)

In article <29462@watmath.waterloo.edu> kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) writes:
>  Are you trying to tell me that 3 years of public school, [...]
>is going to enable me to EASILY [...] read Quebecois-french (the schools
>tend to teach a very clinical french)

I think that you will find that written French is as ``clinical'' in
Quebec as anywhere else in the world.  Written French will almost
always look like this:

	"Je pense que vos arguments sont bons, mais malheureusement
	 ils sont base's sur des assertions qui s'ave`rent inexactes."

but never like this:

	"Aille!  Ch'te dis mon chum, ch'pense que c,a pas d'bon
	 sens pan toute c'que tu dis la, tse' j'veux dire!"

And by the way, if there is a French posting that you're having trouble
with, don't hesitate to drop me a note, I'll be happy to help!
--

In article <310@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>Anyone out there know how I can configure rn to automatically skip articles
>with french in them :-)

Well, you can partly solve the problem by putting the name "Tremblay"
in your rn filter (kill file).   ;-)  ;-)
--
 Denis Fortin,                            | fortin@zap.uucp
 CAE Electronics Ltd                      | uunet!philmtl!zap!fortin
 The opinions expressed above are my own. | fortin%zap@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

But you do take a risk that the person you're replying to won't understand,
or understand fully.  You responded to a posting of mine in French.  I read
the reply, and understood most of it, but did not feel confident enough
to reply in either language.   After all, I saw inconsistencies in your
posting, but where they errors in your logic, or errors in my French?  Not
having the energy to go home and get my Anglais-French dictionary, I didn't
reply.

Unfortunately, if I did make an error, people would assume it was my brain
that was at fault, not my French...

So maybe it's a good way to shut people up...   :-)

derome@cs.toronto.edu (Philippe Derome) (09/29/89)

In article <29431@watmath.waterloo.edu> sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu (S. Crispin Cowan) writes:
>In article <1989Sep26.153200.959@utstat.uucp> webber@utubrutus.toronto.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
>>In article <3837.251eb4d9@uwovax.uwo.ca> J G Miller <a4346@uwocc1.uwo.CA> writes:
>>Pourquoi pas?  Consider it a challenge (no, better, an _opportunity_) to
>>learn something about Canada's other official language and other imperialist
>>running dog founding culture.  Or a chance to make new friends by politely
>>asking for a translation if your language skills aren't up to par.
>
>This is one of the issues that I consider to be a major problem.
>Among anyone but civil servants, 'par' in French is about zip.  I like
>it that way.

You seem to have forgotten the francophone populations who also speak some
French. I have to admit that is some parts of the country, their number is
rather small.

>I don't do any significant business with anyone in
>Quebec.  I don't know anyone i Quebec.

>No significant amount of work
>in my field (computer architecture) is published in French.
Same here.

>Therefore, I am completely un-interested in investing the man YEARS
>required to acquire the language to any degree of utility.
>
>On the other hand, it is becoming a standard requirement that any
>medium to high level civil servant be bi-lingual.  Since bi-lingualism
>is almost completely non-existant outside of Quebec, this creates a
>tremendous bias towards people from Quebec.

There are about 7-800 000 francophones outside Quebec, for the most
part in Ontario and New-Brunswick. That's probably nearly as much as
anglophones in Quebec.
There are a fair number of English Canadians who are becoming bilingual in
Ontario. I agree that the percentage of bilingual people outside Quebec
is rather weak, but put together it comes to appreciable numbers.

>In a predominantly English country, I regard this as un-fair discrimination.
This is not discrimination since the bilingual requirement can be satisfied
by any person who has been willing to spend enough time learning the other
(2 others) language. Of course for you, bilinguism is not a qualification
for being a public servant!

>It is also
>divicive.  People tend not to like the federal government now.  How
>will western Canada feel about it when every time they talk to a
>federal civil servant the first thing they hear is 'Bonjoure',
>followed by broken english.  It's not fun feeling like an immigrant in
>your native country.

If the policy were tough enough (I am not judging it), those bilingual officers should be
fluent in both languages so that it should not disturb you. The evidence
suggests the contrary of your statement: bilingual francophones in public
service are more fluent in either language than their counterpart.
This has been recently demonstrated by a figure showing how many bilingual
officers failed their bilingual test so that they could get a bonus
for that special qualification. Among the ``bilingual'' anglophones,
a much larger percentage failed than among the ``bilingual'' francophones.
The interpretation I see from this is as follows: possibly when the
anglophones were hired they met their bilingual qualification by a much
tighter margin than the francophones; or they used the second language
at work much less frequently than the other group. So, in fact, it's
the francophones who would probably more often be served by a not quite
linguistically competent public servant than the anglophones. My personal
experience suggests this state of affairs as well.

>Crispin
>Login name:	sccowan			In real life: S. Crispin Cowan
>Office:		DC3548	x3934		Home phone: 570-2517
>Post Awful:	60 Overlea Drive, Kitchener, N2M 1T1
>UUCP:		watmath!watmsg!sccowan
>Domain:		sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu
>
>"Everything to excess.  Moderation is for monks."
>	-Lazarus Long
>>--
>>Bob Webber, Office of the Dean of Arts and Science, University of Toronto
>>Internet: webber@artsci.toronto.edu; webber@utstat.toronto.edu
>>UUCP: utzoo!utas!webber; utzoo!utstat!webber

Philippe Derome
derome@neat.cs.toronto.edu

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (09/29/89)

Stephen M. Dunn <cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> writes:

> Hmm ... this is can.general; no language is implied in the group name, and
> we are after all an officially bilingual country.  I personally support
> the idea of posting articles to this group in whatever language the poster
> wishes to use.

Toivottavasti voimme sitten keskustella Kanadan suomalaisen vahemmiston
asemasta Quebecissa ranskankielisen enemmiston voimaanasettaman kielilain
voimaantulon jalkeen.  Kaikki suomea high schoolissa ja/tai yliopistossa
opiskelleet osaavat varmasti itse kaantaa taman englanniksi, vaikka tama
onkin kirjoitettu kanadalaisella nappaimistolla.

Tietysti tama on vain minun mielipiteeni ...

					\tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

Number of scientific citations linking smoking to health
       risks, according to the Canadian Medical Association:  7,818
Number of cause-and-effect studies linking smoking to health
       risks, according to Canadian tobacco manufacturers:        0
			-Report on Business Magazine, Oct/89

wendy@sq.sq.com (Wendy Harrison) (09/29/89)

In article <29462@watmath.waterloo.edu> kgdykes@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) writes:
>  Are you trying to tell me that 3 years of public school, mostly ORAL
>french education while conjugating a few simplistic verbs is going to enable
>me to EASILY/QUICKLY/I_READ_A_LOT_OF_NEWS_AND_HAVE_NO_SPARE_TIME_TO_WASTE
>read Quebecois-french (the schools tend to teach a very clinical french)
>more than 18 years LATER? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

How about five years of high-school french, almost 25 years later?
My experience of french in school was hardly oral at all, almost exclusively
written, with *heavy* emphasis on grammar, vocabulary and literature.
(Conjugating many, regular and irregular verbs, etc. etc.)

So, I can't string more than a few words together, and I can't follow a
spoken conversation worth a damn, but I can get the gist of written French.
I bet this is fairly normal.

--

                                  ______
                                 |__    |        SoftQuad Inc.

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (09/29/89)

Steve Wart writes:
$My high school French isn't good enough to follow these postings with any
$reasonable degree of accuracy, and I'm sure that this is probably the norm
$for people reading this group. I for one would appreciate it if people were
$to post translations with their followups. Understanding the argument is
$more important than being impressed by your bilingualism.

   My high school french is good enough to follow these postings with a
reasonable degree of accuracy, and I haven't had the chance to use it for
the past three years.

   I firmly support the right of posters to post in french if they so desire.
If you're a unilingual Anglophone, tough - you can't read the postings in
any language opther than your own.  Look at the other side, though - if
you're a unilingual francophone, well over 99% of Usenet news is unintelli-
gible to you.

   Vive le Canada bilingue!

--

Stuart Lynne writes:
$Feel free to post in french. But you're probably wasting net.bandwidth if
$you don't limit the distribution to Quebec. Personally I just hit "n".

   You may well hit 'n' whenever you see an article in the official language
other than that which you speak;  I do not, personally, and I resent that
someone would suggest that nobody outside Quebec is interested in
reading articles in French and therefore articles in French should be
restricted to Quebec.
--

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (09/29/89)

In article <22345@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

>Canada has two official languages, but if somebody came to you and asked
>directions in English, to respond in French (when you know English) would
>be rude.

That's not to say it hasn't happened. When I lived in Montreal, being
treated that way by bus drivers, directory assistance and government
offices was the exception rather than the rule.

In more recent trips that hasn't happened, ususally because I now ask in
French (1/2 :-). But the memories are certainly vivid, and the technique
was sometimes applied to tourists who didn't know better. I have come
across a number of Americans who won't vacation in Quebec anymore for this
reason.

In this context, the actions were not only rude, but damaging to
both Quebec's reputation for hospitality and its economy.
--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, Brampton, Ontario  -  evan@telly.on.ca
         She was looking for a vacation, and he was the last resort.

mikeb@coho.ee.ubc.ca (Mike Bolotski) (09/30/89)

In article <3301@watale.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

>Toivottavasti voimme sitten keskustella Kanadan suomalaisen vahemmiston
>voimaantulon jalkeen.  Kaikki suomea high schoolissa ja/tai yliopistossa
>opiskelleet osaavat varmasti itse kaantaa taman englanniksi, vaikka tama
>onkin kirjoitettu kanadalaisella nappaimistolla.

Finnish is not offered in most Canadian high schools.  At least not in B.C.

>Tietysti tama on vain minun mielipiteeni ...

Mine too.

Mike Bolotski, Department of Electrical Engineering,
               University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
mikeb@ee.ubc.ca                    | mikeb%ee.ubc.ca@relay.ubc.ca
ee.ubc.ca!mikeb@uunet.uu.net       | uunet!ubc-cs!ee.ubc.ca!mikeb

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (09/30/89)

Mike Bolotski <mikeb@coho.ee.ubc.ca> writes:
> Tom Haapanen <tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu> writes:
> >Toivottavasti voimme sitten keskustella Kanadan suomalaisen vahemmiston
> >voimaantulon jalkeen.  Kaikki suomea high schoolissa ja/tai yliopistossa
> >opiskelleet ...
>
> Finnish is not offered in most Canadian high schools.  At least not in B.C.

It's true that Finnish is not offered in most Canadian high schools, and
French is.  However, the point I was attempting to make was that posting in
French excludes a large portion of the can.general audience.  I did take
French for four years, but do not feel competent enough to rebut a French
posting.  Further, I think a posting originally in French is OK, but I think
it is inconsiderate to take an English thread and turn that into French,
thereby excluding some of the people already taking part in the discussion.

                                        \tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

"I don't even know what street Canada is on"  -- Al Capone

dennis@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Dennis Ferguson) (10/01/89)

I have been following the traffic on language in Quebec, and French
in recent newsgroup postings, and thought I might contribute something
which, while not quite to the point, might help explain why I have
some sympathy for the position of the Quebec government and Francophones
in Quebec.

My home town is Sudbury, in northeastern Ontario.  I suspect the majority
of people in Ontario whose mother tongue is French live in this part
of the province and I'm pretty sure at least half of the population
in Sudbury when I lived there was French.

You could never have told this by looking at the place in the 60's and
early 70's, however.  Or even by living in it.  All signs were in
English.  Many streets had French names, but these were universally
pronounced with an English twang.  If you went shopping you did it
in English.  If you wanted a phone number from Bell information you
asked in English.  Your hydro bills, and tax bills, and whatever
else, all were written in English.

The Catholic school board was large, and perhaps half of their primary
schools (a third of the total) were French.  The public school board
ran no French language primary schools.  Since the Ontario government
didn't fund the Catholic board beyond the primary school level, there
were only two French language high schools out of perhaps a dozen and
a half, neither of which were run by the public school board and hence
had to charge quite steep tuition.  If you wanted to go to high school
in Sudbury you pretty much had to speak English, and indeed had to
speak it as well as those whose mother tongue was English since there
were no special considerations given.  I don't think it is any easier
for a French-speaking person to learn English as a second language than
it is for an English-speaking person to learn French, so the recent
postings may give you some idea of what some of those guys were up
against.  To do as well as an English-speaking person, a French person
would have to work a whole lot harder.  This is in a city where the
majority was likely French.

I liked French, and could usually keep up with and contribute to a
conversation about last Friday's football game, or girls, or whatever
people talked about.  I couldn't have written (or spoken) a completely
grammatically correct sentence if my life depended on it, but then
again neither could a lot of those guys.  In either language.  It was
kind of hard to get a proper, consistant education if you were French.

Even at the time I could remember being conscious enough of the problem
to wonder how the heck some of the old guys who lived out in the valley
and maybe didn't speak a lot of English got along.  How could they
go to court to fight a speeding ticket, or dispute their water bill,
or obtain government services, or even get a phone number that wasn't
in the book?  I don't think this was particularly just, yet a French
person who made any noises about "rights" was likely ignored.  Speak
English, we don't understand you and aren't going to make an effort
to try.  The English in Montreal had it very, very good in comparison
to the French in Sudbury.

Sudbury has changed a lot since.  The place looks bilingual.  You can count
on getting service in French if you want it, both from the government
and, usually, from private business.  English parents fight to get their
kids into French immersion schools.  There are publicly supported French
language secondary schools, the number of which probably matches the
linguistic distribution of the population there more reasonably.  Sudbury
has become more like Montreal.

I guess during the same period Montreal has become more like Sudbury
was.  With great cries about the violation of the "rights" of the English,
and the racism of the French.  If the French in Quebec are Nazis I can't
imagine what we were in Sudbury 20 years ago.  Of course I don't believe
that one corrects an injustice with another injustice, but this is
not an ideal world and in the real world one often reaps what one sows.
And I can't help but feel that maybe the English in Quebec are now
harvesting what was planted by the English outside (and inside) Quebec
20 or 30 or more years ago.

As a consequence of this I am happy to see postings in French and will
make the effort to read them if I am interested in the contents, no
matter how inconvenient this might be to me.  Learning two languages is
always more inconvenient then learning one, more time consuming.  Reading,
or writing, or saying something in your second language is always more
inconvenient than your first language.  Why, then, should people whose
first language is French be asked to suffer more inconvenience than I am
willing to bear myself?  You can ask them to do this, and you might have
all sorts of good, logical reasons why they should, but I wouldn't expect
this to make a big impression.

What goes around comes around.

Dennis Ferguson
University of Toronto

fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) (10/01/89)

In article <1989Sep29.130503.13587@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>In article <22345@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>>[...] if somebody came to you and asked directions in English, to respond
>>in French (when you know English) would be rude.
>
>That's not to say it hasn't happened. When I lived in Montreal, being
>treated that way by bus drivers, directory assistance and government
>offices was the exception rather than the rule.
>[...]
>In this context, the actions were not only rude, but damaging to
>both Quebec's reputation for hospitality and its economy.

Sigh...  I guess the cat is out of the bag and I must now make a confession
(even though it might get me in trouble with Quebec Nationalists :-)

	"Yes, it's true, there are morons in Quebec too!"
	"Oui, c'est bel et bien vrai, me^me au Que'bec il y a des e'pais!"

;-)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that not all Quebecois act the same
way.  I'm sure you could think of at least a few (potentially even a
great many) of your fellow ontarians that act in a way that you do not
approve of...  ;-)
--

durham@handel.mpr.ca (Paul Durham) (10/02/89)

In article <701@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca> TMCLELLA@vm.ucs.ualberta.ca writes:

>I dare you to speak to a civil servant in Russian, Japanese, Ukrainian, or
>Italian.  See how far you get.

Well, if I were in Russia, Japan, the Ukraine, or Italy respectively, thisd
would probably get me pretty far ( although there might well be
a few unilingual Russians in civil service jobs in the Ukraine ).

Civil servants are employees of the state and are supposed to work in the
official language of the state. If you want service in one of the above
languages, you can lobby to get it adopted as the third official language
of the country, or your province. Or, move a to country where it is already
an official language.

P. Durham

alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo Gariepy) (10/02/89)

I think this meta-discussion is getting a little silly.  Communication
is voluntary.  People choose what they say and to whom they say it.
That includes the subject, medium, language, and destination.

When you see someone (in this case a man) post a message in French, you
can assume one or more of the following:

*  He speaks only French.
*  The message requires a degree of precision only achievable in his
   native tongue.
*  He knows there are some French speakers who will read his message.
*  His question is specific to French speakers.
*  He is in France and doesn't know how to limit distribution.
*  He prefers to discuss certain subjects with speakers of French.
*  He is perfectly bilingual, but feels that using a language only partially
   understood by his audience confers some tactical advantage.
*  It was easier for him.

I support anyone's right to use this public network.  If I could eliminate
a category of messages from the net, it wouldn't be on the basis of language.

So let us get back to how the rest of Canada is helping to obliterate the
few remaining dregs of culture in Quebec.

Alonzo Gariepy
alonzo@microsoft

ray@philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) (10/03/89)

>In article <22345@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Canada has two official languages, but if somebody came to you and asked
>directions in English, to respond in French (when you know English) would
>be rude.

In article <1989Sep29.130503.13587@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>In more recent trips that hasn't happened, ususally because I now ask in
>French (1/2 :-). But the memories are certainly vivid, and the technique
>was sometimes applied to tourists who didn't know better. I have come
>across a number of Americans who won't vacation in Quebec anymore for this
>reason.
>
>In this context, the actions were not only rude, but damaging to
>both Quebec's reputation for hospitality and its economy.

The usual anglophone assumption that this is being done to make some sort of
cultural point rather than because the French speaker does not have the
facilities in English to answer, even though the question is understood, is
ridiculous.

Yes, there have been occasions..., but for goodness sake, the majority of
Quebecois are unilingually French!  Should one expect to be answered in
English in France?  No?  Then why do so in Quebec?

I'm not quite sure whether to laugh or cry at the continued whining of
unilingual English speakers that the French wont speak to them in English.
This is hypocritical nonsense, and narrowmindedness of the worst kind.

BTW I *am* unilingual English, with not *nearly* enough French to exist
completely in that langauge (and regularly answer French questions in
English)!
--
Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray@philmt.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray