[can.general] Algorithm: A Newsletter for People Who Enjoy Programming

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (01/18/91)

Algorithm: A Newsletter for People Who Enjoy Programming

For one year now, A.K. Dewdney (author of Scientific American's
popular Computer Recreations column) has been publishing a
newsletter (or is it a magazine?) called Algorithm. Appearing bi-
monthly, Algorithm features a wide range of topics in each issue,
mostly centered around fascinating programming projects of the kind
we used to see in Computer Recreations. Besides Dewdney, Clifford
Pickover (JBM's graphic genius), Michael Ecker (formerly of Creative
Computing) and Dennis Shasta (creator of the Dr. Ecco puzzles) also
write columns for Algorithm. Each issue features Algoletters from
vendors with projects and ideas to share, the four programming
columns just mentioned, stimulating articles and reviews of weird
and wonderful programs written by individuals and small
companies.

The basic vehicle of Algorithm is algorithms. By specifying program
ideas in pseudocode, the publication makes them available in a
language-independent form. The emphasis in mainly recreational
and (dare I say it?) educational. Topics range from fractals and chaos
to cellular automata, scientific simulation and computer games. The
scope is wide open and engaging.

Anyone wishing a free inspection copy of Algorithm should drop a
line to Algorithm, P.O. Box 29237, Westmount Postal Outlet, 785
Wonderland Road, London, Ontario, CANADA N6K 1M6. Alternatively,
they can send me e-mail (ndallen@contact.uucp) or reply to this
message, and I'll forward the request to Algorithm.

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan17.231632.24621@contact.uucp> ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) writes:
>Algorithm: A Newsletter for People Who Enjoy Programming
>
>For one year now, A.K. Dewdney (author of Scientific American's
>popular Computer Recreations column)  [ material on Algorithm
                                newsletter deleted ]

Seeing Dewdney's name, I had to mention his incredible book
"The Turing Omnibus" which is a collection of c. 60 short articles
by him on selected aspects of computer science.  (Spline curves,
cryptography, pattern recognition, etc.)  It is from England,
but places such as "John's Picks" carry it.  (Yes, the title is
an intentional pun.)  A fair amount of math is in the book, but
the material is still presented in a very accessable manner.

Also, speaking of algorithms, David Haral's "Algorithmics" gives
a very entertaining overview of Algorithm theory.  It is my
understanding there will be a review of it in an upcoming issue
of "The C Users Journal."

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108

gram@uctcs.uucp (Graham Wheeler) (01/22/91)

Hi - I would like to send you e-mail, but your address is inadequate.
Can you give a better one?

(apologies to everyone else)

Graham Wheeler		      |	"Don't bother me, I'm reading a `Crisis'!"
Data Network Architectures Lab| Internet: <gram@uctcs.uct.ac.za>
Dept. of Computer Science     | Fidonet: <gram.uctcs@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org>
University of Cape Town       |     BANG: <...uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!uctcs!gram>

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan21.220945.11345@ashtate> tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) writes:

>Seeing Dewdney's name, I had to mention his incredible book
>"The Turing Omnibus" which is a collection of c. 60 short articles

Several people have e-mailed me requesting more info:

"The Turing Omnibus", 1989   ISBN: 0-7167-8154-9
Computer Science Press, 1803 Research Bl.
Rockville, MD  20850

Apparently, the book is "really" by W.H. Freeman publishers.
In England, their address is:       (They are in NYC in USA)

20 Beaumont Street
Oxford, England  OX1 2NQ

Btw, another book of perhaps lighter columns by Dewdney titled
"Computer Recreations" is mentioned on the back cover of "The Turing
Omnibus."  Have not seen this one yet.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108