[ont.micro] Ontario Micro Digest backissues

ian (12/11/82)

Herewith is the complete back-issue file of the Ontario Micros Digest.
A collectors' item? I doubt it, but ``of possible interest...''

Enjoy it,
Ian
>From ontmicro Wed Jun 16 21:22:31 1982
Subject: ontario micros digest
Newsgroups: ont.general

There is now an irregularly-published ontario microcomputer digest
on usenet. To subscribe, please mail your name, uucp-address,
and micro interests to
	utcsstat!ian
who will add you to the mailing list. The digest is distributed
via mail rather than news since only a few people expressed
interest in having a newsgroup for it.

The mailing list itself will be mailed to all members on it periodically
as well.

Micro people unite, you have nothing to lose but your size!

Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number -2	Wed Jun 16 20:55:55 1982

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Current Topics:
 The Ontario Micro Digest
--------------------
>From utcsstat!ian
Subject: The Ontario Micro Digest

This is the first issue of the Ontario Microcomputer Digest. It will be
send by mail only to those who so request, until & unless there is enough
interest to make it into a newsgroup.

Please, mail me anything that you think would be of interest to
microcomputer users in Ontario. This includes events, sales, rumors, new
Computer Bulletin Board Systems (CBBS, any flavor), new
stores (or closings of old ones), projects you are working on/need help
on/have help to offer on, reviews of systems/products (like what you
have NOW and how you like it!), ideas, trends, or even fantasies.
Don't forward stuff from net.micro or related newsgroups, though.
And please include a "Subject: " header line for the headlines!

My role as moderator will be minimal; usually I will not do anything
to the text. It may even get compacted into the digest automatically,
in which case the digest will be as democratic as the usenet itself.

Please contribute something!
	Ian Darwin
	U of Toronto Computing Services

                            -30-

>From wagner Wed Jun 16 21:31:38 1982
Nothing to lose but your size?
Oh, Ian, how could you say that?

To: utzoo!utcsstat!ian
Subject: Micro digest

I note that was marked vol 0#2.  What hapened to vol0#0&1 ?

Is the '30' at the bottom the number of pages I was *supposed* to have
received ?

Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number -1	Fri Jun 18 10:46:19 1982

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Current Topics:
 Three notes [PET assembler, Victor 8088, PAC-MAN]
 new store in Toronto
--------------------
>From uucp Fri Jun 18 06:34:49 1982 remote from utzoo
>From bstempleton Thu Jun 17 12:09:49 1982 remote from watmath
To: utzoo!utcsstat!ontmicro
Subject: Three notes [PET assembler, Victor 8088, PAC-MAN]

1) For PET owners interested in programming in assembler:
   TemTech Information Products (that's me) is finally offering the PAL
   assembler for the PET.  It fits in 4K but has just all the features
   most people want except for a macro processor.
   Its main feature is convenience, since you use the built in editor and
   environment of the PET that users are already familiar with.  Mail
   me for details, or see my talk at the Toronto PET User's Group meeting
   this Saturday at the Casa Loma Campus of George Brown.

2) Tuesday, some friends of mine and I went out to Victor of Canada in
   Cambridge to see the new Victor 9000 computer.   8088 processor, two
   floppies with 600k each on them, 2 rs-232 ports, one paralell right
   on the back.  128k standard, 4 expansion slots.  The best part is the
   display, which has 800 by 400 bitmap, and you can get 132 columns by
   50 lines text quite clearly.  Fairly full keyboard that is completely
   reprogrammable (they even have code for you to do this)
   Unfortunately, all you can get now is crap like CP/M and MS-DOS.
   They say unix in 83, but perhaps we will see Coherent even sooner, since
   that is on the IBM now.  The bad news (or perhaps good) is the price
   is $7300 about in sinking Canadian funds.

3) Bought the PAC-MAN cartridge for my Atari 800 last weekend.  I never played
   PAC-MAN in the arcades, but it is ok on the 800.  The game is very close
   to the arcade version, unlike the home video computer version which has
   not the graphics resolution.

   Brad Templeton

>From ian Fri Jun 18 10:25:17 1982
Subject: new store in Toronto

There's a new discount parts store just across the road from Exceltronix!
It's called Parts Galore, 316 College St, Toronto, 925-8291.
Mainly surplus; keyboards, a PDP-8(!), other fun stuff. Give em a week
to unpack all their stuff before you go down; they were still unpacking
yesterday. Closed mondays, Tues-Fri 10-6, Sat 9-5.

                            -30-

Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number 0	Fri Jun 18 15:21:01 1982
                            == Special Issue ==

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Current Topics:
 Terminal inventory sale ** this weekend **
--------------------
>From ian Fri Jun 18 15:15:20 1982
Subject: Terminal inventory sale ** this weekend **
Apologies to those of you reading this on Monday; you missed it.
For night and weekend hackers, be advised that there is a
Terminal Warehouse Inventory sale at Data Terminal Mart, 70
Gibson Road, Markham Ont (north of Steeles, west off Warden).

Saturday, June 19th, 10 AM to 4 PM only.

Representative prices: Hazeltine 1552 (w/ vt52 mode) $850,
Hazeltine modular one (editing) $750, ADDS Viewpoint $940.
Also printers (Centronics 730 $450, 739 $825, TI, LA36, Sanders...)
and accoustic couplers (300baud $195; 1200baud $995); 8.5x11
fanfold paper $35/case, etc, etc. ``All sales final. Warranty
available at extra cost. Cash, cheque or VISA only''.
Caveat emptor.

                            -30-

Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number 1	Wed Jun 23 21:45:52 1982

Published irregularly, as news accumulates.

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Today's Topics:
 Compurama '82 June 23-25 Automotive Bldg CNE Toronto
--------------------
>From ian Wed Jun 23 21:39:13 1982
Subject: Compurama '82 June 23-25 Automotive Bldg CNE Toronto

Here's a brief report on the Show; I didn't hit the tech sessions.
A smaller show than most that book the Automotive Building at the
CNE,  Compurama  '82 features very little that is really new. The
most-seen computer was the Apple ][, with  the  IBM  PC  a  close
second.

Lanpar's booth has a range of terminals and  printers,  including
Okidata  printers  and  a  (prototype!) of Northern Technologies'
`Vision' terminal.  Like the VT100 which it emulates, the  Vision
is  planned to be a family of terminals and micros. Like everyone
else, it claims to be `ergonomically designed'. Lanpar  also  has
the Osborne I.

Spectra has the Transterm I, a two line x 64 lcd-display portable
terminal with rs232 to 9600 baud. It weighs very little but costs
$898.

The most interesting (to me) exhibit was the  speech  recognition
unit for Apple ][, demonstrated at the Magdata booth. The unit is
made by Scott Instruments Systems. It is  self-training  to  your
voice  in  the  demo,  and  learns after a few tries on each of a
(rather small) vocabulary. What they've done with it in the  demo
is  rather  limiting  (i.e.,  the `Education' demo is a multiple-
guess test), but if you concentrate on the  technology  it's  not
too bad - a good tool that could be much better used. What is ex-
ceptional is that the people in the booth are competent to demon-
strate  it.  $1500 or so complete with microphone.  Not cheap but
it works - it recognized my voice when I was consistent about in-
tonation.

Very little UNIX stuff at the show;   one company was showing the
ONYX;  a  few  others  8086/88 systems which could be made to run
XENIX. Waterloo is there pushing their Superpet 6502/6809 systems
(one  demo  has it driving a Telidon display). Some large-systems
media suppliers as well as floppy suppliers.  If I'd paid to  get
into the show, I'd have been disappointed.

                            -30-

Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number 2	Thu Jul 29 12:54:25 1982

Published irregularly, as news accumulates.

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Today's Topics:
 S-100 for sale
 demo WICAT single-user systems
--------------------
>From ian Thu Jul 29 12:33:40 1982
Subject: S-100 for sale

I have an S-100 card set for sale:
	S.D. Sales SBC-200 4MHz Z80 with serial & parallel ports
	S.D. Sales Versafloppy 5" or 8" controller
	48K of static S-100 ram
	Asking C$750 for the set, as is, with all manuals.

Add backplane, power supply, disk drive and ascii crt for an
adequate S-100 starter system.
Cheap backplane available locally (Arkon).

Also for sale - Intersystems FDC-II IEEE-std DD DMA floppy controller which
	could be made to work with above cards by simple software
	change and hardware kludge (included). C$400.

Ian Darwin, Toronto 416-534-4510 (tape machine, lv msg if no answer)

>From an outsider Thu Jul 29 12:37:02 1982
Subject: demo WICAT single-user systems

Used/Demonstrators of the single-user WICAT, multibus (pre-IEEE-796-std),
256KB and up, 68000 CPU, winnie & floppy housed in CRT cabinet.

Contact Alison Smith, Cohesive Computer, Ottawa, 613-238-1843.

                            -30-

Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number 3	Mon Aug 23 22:57:40 1982

Published irregularly, as news accumulates.

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Today's Topics:
 cheap non-expandable LSI-11
 Seeking information on local S-100 systems
--------------------
>From south of the border Thu Aug  5 10:02:32 1982
Subject: cheap non-expandable LSI-11
Special for PDP-11 fans: PDT-11/150, a non-Qbus LSI-11, 32kb(kw?),
dual floppies, rt-11 subset (RT^2). These beasties used to list
for $6600 US, but are being flogged off at $0995 US.
Contact Newman Computer, Ann Arbor MI, 313-994-3200, Pat Adams.
For $5 more (U$1000) you can buy it (used??) from American Computer,
Boston, 617-437-1100. They have 11/150-BA and BE at that price,
and 11/150-CA and 11/150-CH at U$1500.

Note that the PDT can't be expanded very much; it's not a q-bus
and it's an 11/2 not an 11/23.
Still, for UCSD or RT-11 this might be a good buy. Price does not
include CRT, but both suppliers have deals on those as well.

For those of you with real LSI-11's  OR OTHER MICROS  both these
companies have inventories of used disks. You could buy
an RK05 from them, and a Q-bus controller, OR the S-100 cartridge
disk controller from someone like Processor Interfaces, 414-785-1245,
and have cheap, removable 2.5M or fixed 5M hard disk.

>From idallen Sun Aug 22 08:08:51 1982 remote from watmath
To: utzoo^utcsstat^ontmicro
Subject: Seeking information on local S-100 systems

I've almost convinced myself that I want to purchase some form of
IEEE-696/S-100 system.  I'd like to know what people know about
such systems.  What's available in Canada?  If I buy USA and get
it shipped, what happens when it dies?  Should I go Multibus instead?
Address all ramblings to utzoo!watmath!idallen and if the response
is wonderful I'll post the bunch to net.micro someday.  -IAN! (Allen)

                            -30-

Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number 4	Thu Aug 26 15:47:55 1982

Published irregularly, as news accumulates.

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Today's Topics:
 Apple assembler job
 S-100 memory boards - info wanted
--------------------
>From bstempleton Tue Aug 24 12:51:29 1982 remote from watmath
To: hcr!utzoo!utcsstat!ontmicro
Subject: Apple job

somebody got back to me on the Apple assembler job I talked of, and I replied
and have as yet received no reply back.  I have forgotten the address of
the person.  Are you out there?

>From ontmicro Thu Aug 26 15:36:56 1982
Subject: S-100 memory boards - info wanted

I may need to buy some extra IEEE-696 8/16 memory. Does anybody have
any experience with any of the current crop? I have a Jade memory
bank (don't like) and a Dual Systems DMEM-256KP (like it). Anything
else out there? Thanks.

                            -30-

Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number 5	Thu Nov 11 11:09:07 1982

Published irregularly, as news accumulates.

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Today's Topics:
 editorial
 microvox voicespeaks
 winchester disks
 Z-80 requeCP/M, Z-80 requests
--------------------
F>Fromt the editor:

INo editorial this montime. Actually have some news this time, do so I
don't need to pad things much. Thanks to those who submitted
(both of tyou). If you like this digest, tell your firiednds!

>From wagner Mon Oct  4 21:35:21 1982
Is anyone considering getting the Microvox speech synthesizer
that has been discussed in the last two issues of BYTE?
Does anyone have it already?  I would be interested in knowing
more about the end-result speech quality.  Thanks in advance.

Michael Wagner, UTCS
(utcsstat!wagner)

>From ian Thu Nov 11 10:29:28 1982

Subject: winchester disks

Computer Dynamics (Greer, S.C 29651, 803-77-7471) is selling 8" 5MB
Shugart winnies for US$600. With the thought in mind that there is only
FST (no duty) on disk drives imported into Canada, this seems to come
to under $800 per drive. Anybody got a better deal? The price drops to
US$500 if you buy 10 of them. Computer Dynamics also have interfaces
(S-100, IBMPC, STD bus) and the WD1001 controller boards, power supplies,
cabinets, etc. Contact me by mail or by phone to see the price list.
Ian Darwin, 978-6134, utcsstat!utcss!ian

>From tjiang Thu Nov 11 10:47:26 1982 forwarded
>From watmath!idallen Thu Nov 11 00:16:59 1982 remote from utcsrgv
Subject: For Ontario Micro Digest

Does anyone have:
1) Access to the CP/M User's Group series of disks?
[Ed note: UTCS/CSS Micro Services has ordered them, rcvd disks 1-30
so so far. Contact Grant Davis, utcsstat!grant, 416-978-5071]
2) Z-80 software to share?
3) Information on FORTH for either Z-80 stand-alone or Z-80 CP/M?

I think I'm getting a Multiflex CP/M system to play with.

	-IAN!   U of Waterloo    (watmath!idallen)

To: t utcsstat!ian

Does anyone have:
1) Access to the CP/M User's Group series of disks?
[Ed note: UTCS/CSS Micro Services has ordered them, rcvd disks 1-30
so so far. Contact Grant Davis, utcsstat!grant, 416-978-5071]
2) Z-80 software to share?
3) Information on FORTH for either Z-80 stand-alone or Z-80 CP/M?

I think I'm getting a Multiflex CP/M system to play with.

	-IAN!   U of Waterloo    (watmath!idallen)

                            -30-

Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number 6	Thu Dec  2 11:46:34 1982

Published irregularly, as news accumulates.

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Today's Topics:
 Apologies
 Votrax Speech Quality
 Cheap Modems
a mailing of V0N5 dated 2 Dec 82. I made a change to the makefile
and introduced an error.  This has been corrected, and the problem should not
occur again.

>From watmath!padpowell Fri Nov 12 23:36:11 1982 remote from utcsrgv
To: utcsstat!ontmicro
Subject: Votrax Speech Quality

The raw Votrax speech quality closely resembles Donald Duck with a
bad head cold.  I have been told that adding inflection improves it
tremendously.
Patrick Powell, CCNG, U.Waterloo

>From wagner Tue Nov 30 16:26:18 1982
Subj: cheap modems

Excelltronix is selling 300 baud originate-only accoustic modems for
$24.  You have to supply power, and it comes in a plastic housing
that was obviously originally part of a terminal of some sort.
[Ed note: I think it's the housing used on the LA36/LA120]. The
box it comes in says DIGITAL in big blue letters.  They have about
200 of them.  You need a little manual dexterity to seperate the
circuit board from the housing, throw the housing away, and build
a proper box for it.  Also a little power supply dexterity to build
the supply.  But a good price if you can get it to work.  It isn't
obvious if it speaks rs232 or ttl levels, but Mark bought one, and will
probably know shortly.  It looked like rs232 from the drawings.

Michael

                            -30-

------------ End of Ontario Micros Digest Volume Zero ----------------
Ontario Micro Digest	Volume 0 Number 7	Fri Dec 10 19:01:27 1982

Published irregularly, as news accumulates.

Address for articles: utcsstat!ontmicro
Address for mail list changes: utcsstat!ian
Address for flames to the editor: utcsstat!ian

Today's Topics:
 The Last Ontario Micro Digest
 Exceltronix $24 Modem
 Votrax Old and New
 Unable to deliver mail
--------------------

>From ian Fri Dec 10 19:00:53 1982
The Ontario Micros Digest is no more. There is now a newsgroup
called `ont.micro'. Please do not mail further items to `ontmicro'
for inclusion; all sites in Ontario should be able to `postnews'
directly to the newsgroup. Thanks for your support of the Ontario
Micro Digest in the past!

Ian

>From idallen Thu Dec  9 05:42:21 1982 remote from watmath
Subject: Exceltronix $24 Modem

I bought one.  It's a Novation modem of some sort, and it outputs
TTL RxD and TxD.  You'll need RS232C buffer chips to make it speak
RS232 (1488,1489 line driver/line receiver).  The plastic cover fits
a DecWriter.  The modem is glued in place -- you have to snap off two
small chunks of glued-on plastic to get it out of the hole it's in.
(I thought it was just a press-fit, but I was wrong.)  There are no
control lines (DCD, DTR, etc.), but it may be possible to use the LED
output to fake them, if desired.  We'll see.   -IAN!

>From idallen Thu Dec  9 05:47:03 1982 remote from watmath
Subject: Votrax Old and New

Votrax has a new voice thingy out (Dec BYTE p. 375) that must be the
upgrade to the old thingy (Dec BYTE p. 493).  The old one is now
$249US and the new one is $395US.  The new one has music, with three
notes in 8 octaves, plus sound effects and downloadable software.
It really has a bunch of stuff -- see the advertisement.  -IAN!

		-That's all there is...-