[ont.micro] WordPerfect 5.1 and 5.0

rpbozac@crocus.waterloo.edu (Neill Kernohan) (01/16/90)

Does anyone have the latest WordPerfect Bulletin -- apparently they're advising people not to buy WordPerfect 5.1 because of some "anomalies"  with the program.  Could someone email me the article?

Also, I need drivers - either official or shareware - for the Tandy DWP210 and the Diablo Companion for WordPerfect 5.0.  I would appreciate these also.

Neill Kernohan            ------------       rpbozac@crocus.waterloo.edu
513 Glendene Cres          ----------
Waterloo, ON                --------          Don't accept candy from

peter@isgtec.UUCP (Peter Curran) (01/19/90)

In article <19813@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rpbozac@crocus.waterloo.edu
(Neill Kernohan) writes:
>Does anyone have the latest WordPerfect Bulletin -- apparently they're
>advising people not to buy WordPerfect 5.1 because of some "anomalies"
>with the program.  Could someone email me the article?

Without over-quoting from copyrighted material, the complaints mentioned
in the article include:

   - occasional unexplained serious performance degradation
   - Print View is slow (but higher-resolution)
   - text is not always displayed correctly (especially in columns)
   - extensive use of Graphics Boxes causes strange behaviour
   - excessive Novell Form requests sent when printing on a Novell Network
   - incorrect characters appear when editing file names
   - problems have been reported when using EMS

My brother, a value-added retailer, got a copy of WP 5.1 in December, and
encountered several significant bugs in the VGA driver in the first half-hour
of using it.

WordPerfect Corp. has a well-earned reputation for unadequate product
testing, premature releases, excessive numbers of upgrade releases (often
introducing incompatibilities with previous releases), etc.  I would say
that "wait" is a good strategy, unless the new features are really
important to you.
--
Peter Curran       ...uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!peter      isgtec!peter@censor
A scientist generates new ideas.  A good engineer makes things work with as