[net.lang.forth] FORTH in C the orig. article

clq@omsvax.UUCP (carlos qualls) (05/14/84)

[Yes you may eat this line]

> From intelca!hplabs!hao!seismo!rochester!pkb Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
> From: pkb@rochester.UUCP (Peter Blaser)
> Newsgroups: net.lang.forth
> Subject: portable forth
> Date: Tue, 7-Feb-84 17:15:04 PST
>
>      I have a portable version of Forth written in C which is 83 standard.
> It will also work on non-Unix systems without the I/O module and it has
> a portable assembler of sorts.
>      Instead of machine code being the heart of the Forth system, the C
> switch statement uses an integer to decide the next instruction to be
> performed.  The integers then become Forth machine opcodes if you will,
> and you can define code words which are portable to other machines.
>      This system is not applications oriented, but it makes a good research
> tool and teacher.  It is possible to change the behavior of the machine
> quite easily since the code is very small.  New implementations of Forth
> can be experimented with and many people can learn Forth.
>      This system was recently developed from an older system demonstrated at
> the last Rochester Forth Conference (I learned from my mistakes), and it
> should be available via the uucp near the end of February by the latest.
>      As for a previous writer's comments on Forth on Unix as being a toy or
> a cheap calculator, I submit that it is a very powerful model from which
> all Forth programmers can learn or develop new ideas.
>
> 				Peter Blaser
> 				rochester!pkb
> 				pkb@rochester

The above article was what I was going by when I asked for any information
on FORTH in C. As you can see from the article the program was to be posted
in net.sources in Feburary. As far as I know it was never posted. I tried
to contact Mr. Blaser thur the University of Rochester Computer Science
Dept. and found that they had never heard of him. He was listed in the
University phone book, but without a phone number. So if anybody is going
to the Rochester Forth Conference (in June I think) please look up Mr.
Blaser and ask him if he is going to post his program. I could not get
a response via net mail from him. It appears he no longer has access to
the computer at Rochester.

The response to my question was very interesting. I received 10 requests
for copies. There is an interest in FORTH and I would like to see that
interest continue.

Carlos Qualls
USENET: ...omsvax!clq
HOME PHONE (503)359-5785