[net.lang.forth] Forth from the Stone Age?

Norman Diamond writes:

>You forgot those of us who can't stand forth, and those of us who
>wonder why a new 50's language is invented in the 70's and still
>promoted in the 80's.  How do I anti-honk?

Well, well.  Just this past week a seminar group here was discussing some
language features and philosophy, and my, my, Forth was brought up as an
embodiment of principles some felt were desirable.  Features, I might add,
that are found in very few languages (such as COMPLETE control over data
types).

As the story has been told to me, I have no trouble understanding why Moore
created the language.  For an 8-bit micro, there simply were no civilized
languages with sufficient power (unless you think 8080 assembly is civilized
:-)); there are hardly any now.

I'll certainly agree that it is one of the most write-only languages since
APL.  Nevertheless, it embodies principles which the ADA-ites and their
Design-the-Next-Great-Language kin have chosen to ignore.  I suspect that
the I/O package for most FORTRANs (dare I mention PL/I?) is considerably
larger than the Forth COMPILER would be on the same machine.

"Forth-- Stay to here is that language a"
[Now pop that off your stack]

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (12/13/84)

Please -- no more non-jokes about forth to net.jokes!  If you follow up a
joke posted to net.jokes with a non-joke, remember to edit the "Newsgroups:"
line.  Thanks.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (12/14/84)

Charley Wingate writes:
> For an 8-bit micro, there simply were no civilized languages with sufficient
> power (unless you think 8080 assembly is civilized :-)); there are hardly any
> now.
> I suspect that the I/O package for most FORTRANs (dare I mention PL/I?) is
> considerably larger than the Forth COMPILER would be on the same machine.
> "Forth-- Stay to here is that language a"

There are people who regard PL/M as a civilized language.  (I am not one.)
Of course, I haven't met a civilized language yet, though some languages
incorporate some civilized features.

Also don't forget, Fortran I/O packages are often larger than even Fortran
compilers.  Of course, any language that doesn't offer run-time support will
not require its libraries to be as large as its compilers.

But of course, Forth is here to stay, as are Fortran and PL/I and APL and
Cobol and Basic (and now to move on to those that are only 75% flawed) C and
Pascal and Ada.

This discussion no longer seems appropriate for net.jokes ... all I wished to
do in my previous submission was to anti-honk, and perhaps we should move to
net.jokes.d ... but first, one observation:

Why will no-one consider the possibility of using 10-year-old hardware --
they always insist on using the latest, 5-year-old hardware -- but they are
perfectly happy using languages that are 20 years old?

-- Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."

wmb@sun.uucp (Mitch Bradley) (12/17/84)

> Why will no-one consider the possibility of using 10-year-old hardware --
> they always insist on using the latest, 5-year-old hardware -- but they are
> perfectly happy using languages that are 20 years old?

I don't want to cause a big argument about this, but I do want to voice
a contrary opinion.  Personally, I like Forth, and frequently chose to
use it in preference to C.  And please, don't think I don't know C well
enough; I used C extensively for 3 years *before* I learned Forth, and
vigorously promoted the use of C at the company I worked at before Sun.

Forth is interactive and extensible, two features that I like very much,
and which are lacking from C.  I find that I can write and debug
non-trivial programs much faster in Forth than in C, precisely because
it is interactive.  I don't like the Forth "screen" concept (source
code is usually kept in 16 line x 64 column format), so I edit my
source code in normal Unix files with Emacs.

As a point of information, Forth is not 20 years old.  It was developed
about the same time as C.  Lisp, however, is 20 years old, and it is
actively being used as the language of choice by much of the AI community,
who like to think of themselves as the cutting edge of computer science.
So, I would claim that newer is not necessarily better, regardless of
the fact the Forth isn't old anyway.

Cheers,
Mitch Bradley (honk, honk)

cdshaw@watmath.UUCP (12/19/84)

Actually, Moore first developed Forth in the sixties on an IBM 360 or 1400
or something. Seems he was sick of barftran.

ron@celerity.UUCP (Ron McDaniels) (12/20/84)

I wish you had the good taste to rot your disgusting opinion of forth!

leach@fortune.UUCP (Geoffrey Leach) (01/03/85)

Forth was first developed in 1967 on an IBM 1130 with a 2250 display.

It was based on ideas developed by Moore while working a SLAC.