[net.lang.forth] FIGIL DIGEST of November 1985

UMFORTH@WEIZMANN.BITNET (11/14/85)

NOTICE FOR USENET READERS:   This is to remind those of you
      who write directly or indirectly to F.I.G.I.L.
      ( UMFORTH@WEIZMANN.BITNET ) that we are not an ARPANET
      digest, and DO NOT FOLLOW the ARPANET standard of having
      a separate -REQUEST mailing address.   Mail to FIGIL
      addressed as UMFORTH-REQUEST@WEIZMANN might never reach us!

      Please mail to FIGIL ONLY at:  UMFORTH@WEIZMANN.BITNET

      Much Thanks.
For the information of FIGIL participants, BITNET, the widely
used inter-university (and international) network is the host
network for our Digest.  BITNET users are asked to comply
with the network's guidelines.  Since most of FIGIL is not
on BITNET (the majority of our readers are on ARPANET), and
probably these guidelines are unknown to most of you, I've
listed here those "rules" which directly affect FIGIL's operations.

This information comes to you courtsey of:
  BITNET Network Information Center    (INFO@BITNIC.BITNET)
  EDUCOM     PO Box 364, Princeton NJ 08540   609-734-1878

                  BITNET USAGE GUIDELINES

The BITNET Usage Guidelines have  been  established  by  the
BITNET  directors to remind users of the intended purpose of
BITNET, and to offer some solutions to  avoid  abuse.  While
BITNET  has proven an extremely useful network for scholarly
research and communication, it is not and should not be con-
sidered a secure network, and should not be  relied  on  for
transmission of confidential or sensitive data.

-   All  use  of  BITNET must be consistent with its goal to
    facilitate the exchange of non-commercial information in
    support of a member institution's mission  of  education
    and research. Commercial use is strictly forbidden.

-   Large files sent over BITNET may cause traffic problems.
    A  large file will reach its destination, but will do so
    at the expense of  many  other  users.  Therefore,  file
    transmissions   are  limited  to  300,000  bytes  (3,750
    eighty-character records) regardless of the time of day.
    Files exceeding this limit may be divided into a  number
    of smaller files of 300,000 bytes or less, and transmit-
    ted at appropriate intervals.

-   Proprietary software may not be sent over BITNET.

-   Random  mailings  (junk mail), casual contacts ("Who are
    you?"  messages), and job solicitations are discouraged.

Guidelines may change as the need arises. All members of the
BITNET  community  are responsible  for  seeing  that  these
contraints  and  courtesies  are upheld.

If any FIGIL members have questions or problems regarding
these issues or the workings of BITNET, FIGIL will be happy
to clarify (and gather needed information).
-- Tamir   (FIGIL moderator)

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 85 19:33 EST
From: SECRIST%OAK.SAINET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Access to FORTH
Geographic-Location: 36 01' 42" N, 84 14' 14" W

                 TELL THE NET ABOUT YOUR FREEBIE FORTHS !

I would like to compile a list of FORTH implementations that are available
on a not-for-profit basis on net or publically accessable BBS systems for
several net lists (INFO-CPM, INFO-APPLE, UMFORTH [aka FIGIL, bitnet],
INFO-IBMPC and any others that are appropriate or suggested.)

If you have downloaded FORTH from ANYPLACE and found it to be usable and
intact, please send me details on the version of FORTH, what machine it is
for, which standard it follows, THE SYSTEM YOU ACQUIRED IT FROM, the date
you snarfed it or saw it there last, and anything else you care to say
about it. (Sources could include SIMTEL20, CompuServe, BBSes, etc..  The
list will include multiple sources since people do not all have access to
the same places.)

I will post the results in a couple of weeks.  Please send info to:
SECRIST%OAK.SAInet.MFEnet@LLL-MFE.Arpa, with thanks.

                                -- Richard Secrist, President
                                   East Tennessee FORTH Interest Group

>       Date: 21 Oct 1985 12:20:46 PDT
>       Subject: Forth chips
>       From: Barry Megdal <BARRY@CIT-20.ARPA>
>       To: umforth%weizmann.bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA
>
>       I've recently been looking around for pre-programmed Forth
>       microprocessors...  i.e., with some or all of the Forth system in ROM.
>       I have found the Rockwell R65F11/12, and the (barely available) Novix
>       NC4000.  Anyone know of others, or have reviews of the above?
>
>       -Barry

Last June I had the honor of meeting  Chuck  Moore  at  a  local  talk
hosted by the good folks at ORNL, who are getting several of the Novix
Beta Boards for their robotics and AI work.  A review of the talk  and
what  Moore  had  to say about FORTH and the Novix chip is included in
this issue of the ET-FIG news, posted out of sequence in  response  to
Barry's message.  Hope it is of interest to all.

Richard Secrist,
East Tennessee FORTH Interest Group

     P.S.  -- Norman Smith,  who  also  edits  the  ET-FIG  news,
     receives  postings  to  FIGIL from me and can respond to any
     questions regarding his articles as well.

Acknowledge-To:  <UMFORTH@WEIZMANN>