[net.lang.forth] 1986 Rochester Forth Conference - Real Time AI

larry@ur-laser.UUCP (Lawrence P. Forsley) (06/03/86)

        1986 Rochester Forth Applications Conference
             Real-Time Artificial Intelligence
              Applications and Implementations

                  University of Rochester
                    Rochester, New York

                     June 11 - 14, 1986

     In its sixth year,  the  Rochester  Forth  Applications
Conference is being held at the University of Rochester with
an open day for the public on June 14th for vendor exhibits,
panel  discussions  and poster sessions.  It is sponsored by
the Institute for Applied Forth Research, Inc.  in  coopera-
tion with the Laboratory for Laser Energetics of the College
of Engineering and Applied Science at the University and the
IEEE  Computer  Society.  200 attendees from the US, Canada,
Europe, South Africa and Japan are  expected  with  over  50
presentations  on  the  Conference  theme, as well as on the
full range of Forth applications.

     The conference chairman is  Mr.  Lawrence  P.  Forsley,
computer  systems  group  leader at the Laboratory for Laser
Energetics.  His invited lecturers this  year  will  address
the  application  and implementation of two different Forth-
based expert  systems,  and  the  possible  use  of  object-
oriented programming in AI:

  Mr. Jack Park, consultant
  "Toward the Development of a Real-Time Expert System"

  Captain Steven LeClair, Wright Patterson Air Force Base
  "The Application of AI Technology to Process Control"

  Dr. William Dress, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
  "REAL-OPS--A Real-Time Engineering Applications Language
   for Writing Expert Systems"

  Mr. Charles Duff, Whitewater Group
  "Development of a Threaded Object-Oriented Language"

     Other AI related talks include the use of a Forth-based
Prolog  to support the IML-1 Spacelab mission, Park's Expert
2 for selecting specialty steels, Dress's OPS5 for  interro-
gating simulated satellite trajectories, and the integration
of Forth with conventional  knowledge  workstations.   Other
application  talks range from an authoring system for physi-
cians to a Forth Analog Computer Simulator  modeled  on  the
University  of  Arizona's  DARE.  An entire session is being
devoted to space-based Forth  applications.   Implementation
talks  include  benchmarks  of  the  Novix and Metaforth Ltd
engines in actual applications and the development of  Forth
for new and conventional computer architectures.

     For more information or  registration,  please  contact
Thea  Martin  at  the  Institute for Applied Forth Research,
Inc. at (716)-235-0168.  Registration is $325, with  special
rates  of  $200  for  full  time  students and $275 for IEEE
members and University of Rochester staff and faculty.

gregl@tekgen.UUCP (Greg Lacefield) (06/04/86)

In article <125@ur-laser.UUCP> larry@ur-laser.UUCP (Lawrence P. Forsley) writes:

>        1986 Rochester Forth Applications Conference
>             Real-Time Artificial Intelligence
>              Applications and Implementations
>
>                  University of Rochester
>                    Rochester, New York
>
>                     June 11 - 14, 1986
>     The conference chairman is  Mr.  Lawrence  P.  Forsley,
>computer  systems  group  leader at the Laboratory for Laser
>Energetics.  His invited lecturers this  year  will  address
>the  application  and implementation of two different Forth-
>based expert  systems,  and  the  possible  use  of  object-
>oriented programming in AI:
>
>  Mr. Jack Park, consultant
>  "Toward the Development of a Real-Time Expert System"

I've heard this guy talk at the 1984 FORML conference.  "_EVERY_
program is an expert system at some level."  Direct quote.  Am
I missing something, or is that statement incorrect?  His reasoning
was that basically, if you have a lot of IF...THEN...ELSE (or to
be more Forth-like, IF...ELSE...THEN... :-)  constructs, you have
an expert system.  Uh-uh.  Sorry, I don't believe that.

Personally, I don't put much credibility in him.  But it might be
interesting to attend his presentation to see if he's changed his
thinking or line of reasoning.  After all, it's been a year and a
half!  Maybe he can convince me otherwise (or vice-versa).  But I
doubt it.

Greg Lacefield  :-)
...!tektronix!tekgen!gregl