[net.rec] What the SCA is

brad@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Brad Spear) (10/30/84)

In article <1049@pyuxa.UUCP> wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) writes:

> I have read several postings mentioning SCA.  Excuse my
> ignorance, but what is SCA?  What do the letters mean?

Early in the SCA's history, an area in a local park could not be reserved by a
group unless that group had a name.  A quick tossing out of ideas led to our
current handle.  The acronym SCA stands for "Society for Creative
Anachronism", which now should make things perfectly obvious (:-)).

Actually, the SCA is an educational/recreational group, whose purpose is to
provide an environment similar to that of the pre-17th century world.  It is
not exactly like that world, rather we try to recreate it as it should have
been.  By this I mean that we don't have periodic famines or plagues, nor do
we have an incredible gap between the nobility and peasantry.

The main events held by the SCA are "tournaments" and "revels".  Tournaments
are similar to tournaments that were held several hundred years ago, except
that we don't use real weapons, and no one dies (except in acting).  Revels
are simply parties held in a medieval style.

There are other events that don't really fit into one of the two above
categories.  The most important is the "coronation" of the new royalty, which
is a very formal affair.

This is a very limited explanation of what we are and do, but if you are
interested, send me a note.  We are an international society, with local
groups throughout the United States, New Zealand and Europe.

Brad Spear
sdcrdcf!brad