[net.rec] a SCAdian call to arms

hobbit@sunybcs.UUCP (Thomas Pellitieri) (10/15/84)

Unto the Good Gentles of the Knowne World does Richard Tyler of Swiftwater
send Warm Greetings!!

It has been a great many days since the Pennsic War, where there appeared
in "The Pennsic Progress" an announcement regarding the creation of an SCA(*)
net.  As I have heard nothing on this network regarding such things, I have
decided to ask the Good People of the Knowne World who use this network to
make a decision:  Shall we use net.rec (which is almost entirely unused in
of itself) to discuss SCAdian issues?  There are a great many things which
could be discussed, as well as allowing SCAdians to interact across kingdom
boundaries fairly easily.  My own Barony is quite close to the Middle King-
dom, and it would be nice to get a bit more information about what is hap-
pening there.  Also, I am sure that many areas would have trouble getting
certain useful information.

It was suggested to me by Chuq Von Rospach that we could use net.rec, as
there is very little traffic there and it is appropriate for the SCA.  Do
we Re-Create the Middle Ages as they should have been, or do we RECreate
in them? :-)  If there is enough traffic for SCA, perhaps net.rec.sca
will be created!  Please limit any future SCAdian articles to that group.
The multiple posting was used since there is very little in net.rec to
read, anyway!

	Yours in the Service of the Crown,
	Richard Tyler of Swiftwater
	Canton of Beau Fleuve, Barony of Rydderich Hael, Kingdom of the East.

Done by my Golem's Hand in Rydderich Hael
this 15th day of October, Anno Societatis XIX

(*) SCA is the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.  It is a non-profit
organization interested in promoting recreation in the Current Middle Ages.

Please reply to:
--
decvax!sunybcs!hobbit  or   seismo!rochester!rocksvax!sunybcs!hobbit

"'Once Upon a Time' should be in the future
 Storytellers keep it in the past
 Dreaming's what improves us, Motivates and moves us,
 You won't be my first love, but you might be my last!"

bob@plus5.UUCP (Bob Simpson) (10/17/84)

		Gee, you guys mind if I watch for a while before I
	start flaming?  B-)

		Seriously, the only contacts I have had with the SCA
	have been extremes.  One group was very laid back, social, and
	open to new members and ideas.  The other was stand-offish,
	insular, and downright rude to new folks.  Considering that most
	of my experiences have been with the second group, my opinion of
	the SCA is not the most flattering.

			Ball's in your court guys...
--
		Bob Simpson		USENET	..!ihnp4!plus5!bob

USPS	Plus Five Computer Services
	765 Westwood Dr.
	St. Louis, MO 63105
ATT	314-725-9492

   __________________   All these opinions are my own...   ___________________

hobbit@sunybcs.UUCP (Thomas Pellitieri) (10/25/84)

[NOTE: This is really from a friend.  I just posted it for him]
[ PLEASE DO NOT USE THE 'r' COMMAND!! ]

First of all, allow me to introduce myself.  I am Dagonell Collingwood
of the Emerald Lake knowne mundanely as Dave Salley.  I am fairly new to
both the SCA and this news.net ( April 1984 and September 1984, respectively )

	Our campus computer is not fully hooked into the net, so I can read
news off the spool, but cannot post except by forwarding to Richard and asking
him to post for me.  So if anyone wishes to mail to me do not reply to Richard,
but address it one step further : ie, ...sunybcs!canisius!salley instead of
...sunybcs!hobbit  .

	This should probably be a private mail message to Bob Simpson, but
I feel that the topic should be open for debate and/or discussion hence
the public posting.  Anything printed here is strictly my opinion, and
should not be regarded as official SCA policy or anything else.

	Bob, If you wish to 'watch for a while' and read SCA postings, by
all means, please feel free to do so.  No one is obligated to post or
read news.  But why do you feel a necessity to flame merely because you
have had a bad personal experience with some SCA chapters?  Do you flame
net.rec.nude merely because you are not personally a nudist?  It amounts
to much the same thing.  I'll admit that any organization that has local
chapters across the nation is bound to have chapters that are 'rude,
stand-offish and insular' but I don't think that's a sufficient reason to
condemn the organization as a whole.

	For the most part, local chapters seem to build around a college
or university.  This is probably because of the resources that are available
there, ie a large hall for fighting, feasting, dancing; a kitchen for feast
cooking; a well stocked library for research; etc.  The local chapter that
I am a member of meets at ( inhale ) The State University College of New York
at Buffalo Classroom Building ( exhale ).  Buff State for short.  The members
are from Buff State, University of Buffalo, Canisius College and the populous
at large.  I have met, and heard of, local chapters that are clickish, but
they seem to be a very small minority to me.  Perhaps they don't have the
variety amongst the members that the more active groups seem to enjoy.
PLEASE NOTE : I am not saying that a local SCA chapter composed solely of
students from a particular university is a click.  I AM NOT.  I know of
examples to the contrary.  I am saying that any organization with a highly
diversified membership will NOT break down INTO a click.

	Even though I've been in the SCA a short time I've had the priv -
ledge of attending the Pennsic War held this summer at Cooper's Lake, Pa.
Bob, In case you don't know what the Pennsic War is, let me explain.  Once
a year, about 4,000 Scadians meet at Cooper's Lake, and have fun.  Sort of
like a medeval fair on a much larger scale.  Fighters battle, jugglers
juggle, singers sing, dancers dance.  Just about any skill, artform, craft
or activity that was done in the Middle Ages was taught, learned, done or
demonstrated at the Pennsic War.  But that's not really the most attractive
thing I found at the War.  It's a chance to exchange ideas and conversation
with people who live on the other side of the continent.  Or even other
continent, I understand there were people there from Europe.

	While at the Pennsic War, I witnessed the following :
	A car got stuck in the mud and seven people started to push it
out almost immediately, without being asked.
	A woman lost her diamond ring in the grass while sitting and singing
around a campfire.  Within minutes, nay seconds, there was upwards of twenty
people down on their hands and knees with flashlights, helping to look.
No one had to be asked. (P.S. The ring WAS found)
	A portable stove caught fire, three fire extinguishers were on it
before the man could scream help.  (No one was hurt)
	I could go on and on citing examples but I won't.  I think you get
the idea.  One last note: As I said there were 4,000 people there. No
security force.  The first aid station did not report any cases of fist
fighting.  Can anyone reading this imagine 4,000 people at a Rock Concert
without any security guards?  If the War was rude, insular and stand-offish,
then I think we need a whole lot more of it in this world!
	One final note, I spent a half-week at the Pennsic, hearing "After
you, M'lord","Excuse me, M'lady","Good Morning, good Sir".  The following
Monday morning, on the bus I heard, "Outta m'way #%$#%","Quit pushing, dammit".
I wanted to turn around and go back to Pennsic!!!!
	Oh dear, I've been lecturing again, haven't I?  Oh well, I suppose
I wouldn't have been satisfied until I said it.  I'd like to invite any and
all Scadians out there to feel free to make their own comments and add to
or critize anything I've said.  Are you listening, Bob?  It's your serve.

				Dagonell Collingwood of the Emerald Lake
					-)------

				Kingdom of the East,
				Barony of Rydderich Hael,
				Canton of Beau Fleuve,
				Household of the Emerald Lake.

Done by MY Golem's hand,
In the Household of the Emerald Lake
This 24th day of October,
Anno Societatis XIX.

decvax!sunybcs!canisius!salley            or
seismo!rochester!rocksvax!sunybcs!canisius!salley

[ Posted by Richard Tyler of Swiftwater (sunybcs!hobbit) ]

lee@rochester.UUCP (Lee Moore) (10/26/84)

I, too, would like to comment on the SCA.  Several years ago, I tried
to join the SCA chapter here in Rochester, NY.  I had previously been
a member of Markland (a dark ages-viking group) and was looking for something
similar.  I attended meetings for several months at which time I went to
a feast.  At this feast, several of the officers asked me "Who are you?".
They thought I was some stranger from out of town.  The reason they didn't
know who I was is because they were too busy plotting over who was to be
King.  Apparently there was a debated call by one of the referees in the
final match to determine who was to be king.  So now there were two contenders
each of which had his own supporters.  Even though everbody talked about
the succession, nobody was willing to give details... "if you don't know
already, we can't tell you".  Great.  Another detail: when I arrived I was
asked what I did.  When I told them, their reaction was: "Oh no, not another
computer person!"

Ok, Ok, you might say this was just a small group of people and I shouldn't
blast all of SCA just because of them.  While this is true, discussions
with other people at other schools bring out similar experiences.  The
SCA is the only organization that I know of that actually LIKES to create
bureaucracy.  You can only wear approved colors and you must act your
station in life.  While authenticity is a reasonable goal, it is often
used as a means to put down people.  People take the SCA too seriously.
They should remember (that like Science Fiction Fandom) it's just a
goddamm hobby.

Here is an SCA joke that I heard in my Markland days:
	Q: Why can't SCA women get pregnant?
	A: They can't stand to be out of period for nine months.

--
Internet:	lee@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo}!rochester!lee

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (10/26/84)

I have read several postings mentioning SCA.  Excuse my
ignorance, but what is SCA?  What do the letters mean?
I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.  Could
one of you folks explain, it would be more interesting to
read if I knew what SCA was.  Thanks.
T. C. Wheeler

brad@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Brad Spear) (10/30/84)

In article <2566@rochester.UUCP> lee@rochester.UUCP (Lee Moore) writes:

>    ...    I attended meetings for several months at which time I went to
> a feast.  At this feast, several of the officers asked me "Who are you?".
> They thought I was some stranger from out of town.  The reason they didn't
> know who I was is because they were too busy plotting over who was to be
> King.  Apparently there was a debated call by one of the referees in the
> final match to determine who was to be king.  So now there were two contenders
> each of which had his own supporters.  Even though everbody talked about
> the succession, nobody was willing to give details... "if you don't know
> already, we can't tell you".  Great.

You say several officers asked who you were?  How well did you get to know
them during the several months?  If they only saw you once or twice, there is
no reason to expect them to remember your name.  After all, they have to deal
with many SCA people, in addition to their real life.  Most people can't
remember names and faces readily, unless there is something special about the
meeting or the person.

At the Crown Tournament, (when the King & Queen are chosen, for those who
don't know), tension can get quite high, it is by far the most important
tournament in the SCA.  Yes, it is only a hobby, but how many people become
obstinate and un-talkative in the last few minutes of a hotly contested
professional sport, say football or basketball, or after the game when they
feel that 'their' team lost because of what the person considered a bad call
by the referee?  The problem is not intrinsic to the SCA.

> The SCA is the only organization that I know of that actually LIKES to create
> bureaucracy.  You can only wear approved colors and you must act your
> station in life.  While authenticity is a reasonable goal, it is often
> used as a means to put down people.

There is no SCA regulation forcing people to wear approved colors, which
makes us a little more lenient than the age we are trying to recreate.  If
one wanted to wear certain colors in the medieval world, or certain metals
or gems, one had to be in the proper class, or at least willing to pay
through the nose.  The only true 'dress code' in effect is that one must
"wear pre-17th century dress of any period or culture" (Corpora of the
Society for Creative Anachronism, 8 Nov 80 Revision), or at least to have
made a serious attempt at it.  This is only natural, since we are trying to
recreate something of a pre-17th century environment.  Actually, this is
usually stretched up to about the mid-17th century, to allow Cavaliers.

As far as acting your station in life, that is up to the individual.  Everyone
is considered to be a noble until proven otherwise.  If one wishes to show up
as a peasant, it is one's option.  It is reasonable to expect at least the
manners of modern civilization however.  Putting down people is not a goal of
the SCA.  There are 'snobs' everywhere.  Since the SCA has a lot of people,
with a lot of different tastes and abilities, we also have snobs.  Just do
what you would do in normal life.  After all, like the saying goes, "you can
choose your friends ...".  A lot of people have found a lot of friends in the
SCA, and they have found it to be a worthwile hobby.  I hope you do too.

> They should remember (that like Science Fiction Fandom) it's just a
> goddamm hobby.

I know of Fans that forget to drop the act when they go home.

> Here is an SCA joke that I heard in my Markland days:
>	Q: Why can't SCA women get pregnant?
>	A: They can't stand to be out of period for nine months.

Heh, Heh!  I'll have to remember to tell that to my girlfriend. ...  On
second thought, maybe I'd better not.

All in all, the SCA has been around for over 18 years, we must be doing
something right.

Brad Spear
sdcrdcf!brad

traite@wivax.UUCP (Paul Traite) (10/30/84)

> I have read several postings mentioning SCA.  Excuse my
> ignorance, but what is SCA?  What do the letters mean?
> I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.  Could
> one of you folks explain, it would be more interesting to
> read if I knew what SCA was.  Thanks.
> T. C. Wheeler

**  DISCLAIMER **
	The following description is my own and not official SCA, Wang
Institute, or anyone else's pap.
**

	SCA stands for the Society for Creative Anachronism.  It is an
international organization whose members are interested in exploring and
re-creating various aspects of the middle ages (ie midieval times).  This is
done through workshops and guilds in many arts, crafts, and activities such
as (and the following is by no means exhaustive):
	archery, brewers, needleworkers, dance, instumental and vocal music,
	woodworking, metalworking, armory, medieval combat (taught as a martial
	art), cooking, calligraphy, heraldry, luthering (musical instrument
	making); midieval education, medicine, poetry, cosmology, etc.;
	researching and making clothing of the period.

	To bring all the above special interest groups together, events such as
tournaments, dances, and feasts are held.  At these events, members take on an
alternate persona (similar to fantasy role-playing games).  During the event,
they take on the personality, dress, and knowledge of a person who might have
lived in the middle ages (no, you can't be Henry the 1st, but you could be an
anonimous noble in his court).  For the most part, the people at these events
place the most emphasis on having a good time first and being medieval while
doing it.

	As I said above in the disclaimer, these are just my own opinion (I
have been a member of the SCA off and on for 5-6 years).  I believe there are
about 10,000 members, and there are probably 10,000 different opinions on what
the SCA is.  I hope that other SCAdians will post their ideas so that non-SCA
people can get a more balanced picture of the Society.

					Aidien

				(...decvax!wivax!traite)

jon@boulder.UUCP (Jon Corbet) (11/13/84)

[Line eater bugs are strictly out of period!]

This is posted for a friend (Liz Coolbaugh).  Replies sent to me will get
back to her.  Eventually, when I get NCAR on the net, this won't be
necessary....

From:	MRS::AAP1::MANAGER        12-NOV-1984 16:31
To:	MRS::RDSS::CORBET
Subj:	Here is my posting.  Thanks a lot!   Liz

In article <2566@rochester.UUCP> lee@rochester.UUCP (Lee Moore) wrote:

>    ...    I attended meetings for several months at which time I went to
> a feast.  At this feast, several of the officers asked me "Who are you?".
> They thought I was some stranger from out of town.  The reason they didn't
> know who I was is because they were too busy plotting over who was to be
> King.  Apparently there was a debated call by one of the referees in the
> final match to determine who was to be king.  So now there were two contenders
> each of which had his own supporters.  Even though everbody talked about
> the succession, nobody was willing to give details... "if you don't know
> already, we can't tell you".  Great.

First, no one in the SCA can "plot" who is to  be  King  or  Queen  since  the
decision  is  solely  the  outcome  of the Crown Tournament, a contest of arms
using rattan weapons and following rules of safety the SCA has developed  over
the last eighteen years and sometimes including a contest of skill in the Arts
and Science though rarely.  People may have been  concerned  that  unfortunate
circumstances could cause it to be unclear who should have won but they cannot
"plot" what the outcome can be.

Second, there  are  no  "referees"  at  an  SCA  fighting  event.   There  are
"marshals"  on  the  field  but  their purpose is to prevent the fighters from
accidently leaving  the  arena  (helms  are  notoriously  bad  for  peripheral
vision),  to stop the fighting if safety is in question (someone's armor comes
undone - they may not notice but the marshal should) and to protect the people
who  are  watching the fighting.  According to Corpora, (the "constitution" of
the SCA), in the Rules of the Lists, any fighter is honor-bound  to  accept  a
blow  dealt  to  her/him  as  if  it  had  been a real sword.  S/He is in turn
honor-bound to accept the judgement of her/his opponent as to the blows dealt.
This is ONE of the fundamental ways in which honor and chivalry is an integral
part of the SCA.  Obviously, to question  the  outcome  of  a  contest  is  to
question  the  honor  of a fighter in the contest, an emotion charged issue at
best.

These are some of the "details" that people did not tell you about.   Now  you
know.

For better or worse, the Society for Creative Anachronism has many of the same
characteristics of a small town.  You could  easily  debate  (as  many  people
have)  the  advantages  of  a small town over a city or vice versa.  I have no
desire to do so here.   Small  towns  and  cities  are  different.   One  main
characteristic  of  a  small  town  is  the  exaggeration  of  both faults and
defaults.   The  Society  can  produce  friendships,  ties,   kindnesses   and
courtesies  far  in  excess  of  what  you  will find normally in business and
organizations where the  membership  fluctuates  frequently  or  meets  highly
infrequently.

Conversely,  because  of  close association, the enmities between incompatible
personalities tend to reach high proportions.  This reflects poorly in  people
who do not want to talk to new people or who are so occupied in current events
that they do not spend the time with someone new to explain events.

I make no apologies for the Society.  I believe if nothing else  we  are  most
honest in both our faults and virtues.  The addition of one or two people to a
group often changes its characteristics wildly but like  all  things,  wait  a
while and it will change again.

Obviously  the  Society for Creative Anachronism provides a great deal for the
people WHO ENJOY WHAT IT HAS TO OFFER.  I would hope that everyone who came to
an  SCA  event  would  meet  kindness  and  good  people.   I  try  to  extend
friendliness and courtesy to everyone  I  meet.   Unfortunately  for  my  good
intentions,  I  sometimes  meet  people I don't like or don't wish to talk to.
That does not mean that they are  unlikable  or  that  they  wouldn't  make  a
valuable  contribution  to  the  organization  from which I might benefit.  It
simply means that our two personalities are incompatible.  Nothing will change
this.  Everyone cannot get along.  The best thing you can say about the SCA is
that what I think of you doesn't count at all.  You are welcome in the SCA  on
the basis of your own behavior and not on the basis of my opinion of you.  The
only thing that will bar you from an SCA event is to break a mundane law at an
event,  or  to  be  totally  unwilling  to  wear even an attempt at a costume.
Whoever you are and whatever you do, when you stop by an SCA event there is  a
chance  you  will meet some people you like and a chance you will not.  If you
don't the first time you may the second.  The SCA cannot make any promises.

As for "everyone"'s unwillingness to tell you the details of  what  was  going
on, you have to remember this.  You are asking someone who doesn't know you at
all to talk about people they probably know very well.  If  a  stranger  at  a
party asked me to give them the details of my sisters divorce, I would be very
hesitant.  The personalities and background behind  SCA  events  can  be  that
complex  and  can require the same amount of delicacy.  After all, even if you
don't like someone you will probably see them again and possibly work  closely
with  them.   If  I  told  you, a total stranger, what an asshole I thought my
ex-brother-in-law was and it turned out you were actually his old  buddy  from
college  or  you  later  became  a  close  friend  of  his,  I would be pretty
embarrassed and would have been pretty rude to my ex-brother-in-law  to  spout
off my personal feelings to someone I didn't know.

> While authenticity is a reasonable goal, it is often
> used as a means to put down people.

The  debate  among  members  of the SCA as to whether the SCA should emphasize
authenticity or "having fun" has raged since the year one.  It  will  probably
continue  on as long as the SCA exists which currently looks to be a very long
time.  You have  an  opinion  that  authenticity  is  a  reasonable  goal  but
shouldn't  be  emphasized to put down people.  Congratulations!!  Your opinion
is that of probably the vast majority of the people in the SCA who continue to
try and compromise between authenticity and, literally, fantasy.  The point is
to have fun and not to stop other people from having  fun.   Considering  your
opinion  happens  to  be the same as mine, I hope you someday join the SCA and
add to the number of people working towards this goal.  If you  want  to  read
more debates about the role authenticity should play in the SCA, I suggest you
read some official SCA publications since they are  often  full  of  the  same
debate.

Personally  I  think  it  okay to flame about problems in the SCA.  You should
here me flame about the ones I run into.  It is no better and  no  worse  than
anything else but it won't hurt the SCA to have some shortcomings pointed out.
The worst problems are most likely to occur when people forget that a  problem
can  happen  and  therefore  don't  take  the time to listen to people who are
upset.

> Another detail: when I arrived I was asked what I did.  When I told them,
> their reaction was: "Oh no, not another computer person!"

Mea  culpa!   Mea  culpa!   I  think those same words have fallen from my very
lips.  Of course, I myself make a  living  as  a  programmer  which  has  some
influence  on  this fact.  It is a very strange and highly anomalous aspect of
the SCA, an organization known for having at  least  one  representative  from
every  known  profession  on this planet including teachers, bus drivers, bank
clerks, waitresses, contruction workers, artists, etcetera ad  infinitum  that
an  incredibly  large  number  of us are computer programmers.  I really don't
think you should take it as  a  put-down.   Our  soon-to-be  Princess  of  the
Outlands  who  was  until  just recently our Kingdom Herald is also a computer
person.  So is our Organization-wide herald who is also one of the most  famed
bards the SCA has ever produced (For people in the SCA:  I may be exaggerating
but I think I can fairly say this for the kingdoms west of the Mississippi  at
least, certainly my own kingdom (Atenveldt).

My only explanation for most people's reaction to this anomaly is that the SCA
primarily attracts individualists (contrary to the apprehension that it breeds
bureaucracy  -  we  simply  let born bureaucrats run whatever they are good at
running, as long as it isn't us!) and therefore don't like to be reminded  how
predictable they are.  (Ah!  You're a computer programmer!  Then, according to
the stats, there is a 45% greater probability that you will like the SCA  than
if you had been a waitress!  You should try it!)

For  the  people who are reading this, yes, I am long-winded, aren't I?  Maybe
they should have a separate topic for the SCA so you  wouldn't  have  to  read
this unless you wanted to!  (Never accuse me of being obvious.)

I am glad to see some mailings about the SCA showing up on the USENET bulletin
board.  When my friend (who is posting this for me) first showed me  the  list
of  topics  for USENET I was disappointed not to see one for the SCA.  I would
like to extend greetings to  all  people  out  there  who  are  in,  near,  or
interested  in  the  SCA.   One  of  my  favorite  things about the SCA is the
wonderful  people  I  have  met  while  traveling  to  far-away  SCA   events.
Unfortunately, monetarily, I cannot always travel as much as I might.  So, I'd
like to meet a few people through USENET.  After all, if you have anything  to
do  with  the  SCA at least we already have something in common to talk about.
Also, there is also the exciting possibly of getting to meet someone in person
after  knowing them vicariously over several months.  Unlike some of the lucky
people who wrote before me, I have never  made  it  to  Pennsic.   Being  from
Boulder  Colorado  makes  it  tough  to  take  time to travel to Pennsylvania.
However, the more people I wanted to meet the more  reason  I  would  have  to
travel there!  Besides, in 1986 comes the 20th year celebration and I wouldn't
mind at all spending the whole week introducing myself to people from all over
the county that I had met on USENET.

I  am Lady Demelza Felinnoir from the Shire of Caer Galen, Principality of the
Outlands, Kingdom of Atenveldt and I greet you all and wish you well.  In  the
SCA  I  spend  most  of my time as a Lists Officer and in work in the Arts and
Sciences.  I am the Lists Officer for the Principality  of  the  Outlands  and
would  be  very  interested  in hearing the customs for running tournaments in
different areas.  I have been collecting different methods ever since I became
a  Lists Officer but again, have been restricted by the distance I can travel.
I also love costuming, cooking (and eating!), calligraphy, flirtation (maybe I
should  have listed this first!), more flirtation, and having as much fun as I
can get away with.

Please respond ye members of our Society.  Tell me of  yourselfs  and  I  will
tell  ye  of myself, those around and dear to me and any other information you
might request (within the bounds of courtesy and privacy).  May the roads rise
to meet you and the wind blow always at your back!

                                       Lady Demelza Felinnoir
                                       { Liz Coolbaugh }

--
Jonathan Corbet