[fa.info-vlsi] Compilation of survey on functional testers.

info-vlsi@ucbvax.ARPA (09/21/84)

From: Doug Freyburger <DOUG@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

        A while ago I posted a request for information on functional testers.
I was suprised at how little information is available out there on them.  It
seems that most people only have Tek DAS 9100's.  Some people seem only to
want a DAS.  That suprised me a lot since the DAS has so few channels.  Few
people have ever heard of the Stanford MEDIUM machine, and even then it is
barely more than a rumor.

        The only testers out there that seem in range of what I am looking for
are the Stanford MEDIUM and the Terak tester.  If anyone has manuals on-line
for these, I'd like a copy.  Are they Q-bus, IEEE-488, RS-232 interfaced?  Is
there a good software kernal that goes with them?

        What I am looking for is very many pins, 64 minumim and expanible,
that will work in the 1-4Mhz range.  Anyone willing to fund a project to make
one?  It may actually come down to cutting a proposal to do that.  I think I
can make a simple design for Q-bus that will be under $20K per unit after the
prototype.

------