	Date:  1 Dec 1982 1157-PST
	From: PEREIRA at SRI-AI
	Subject: Re: Prolog for the VAX
	To: bts.unc at UDEL-RELAY
	cc: PEREIRA at SRI-AI

The information on how to get my Prolog for the VAX follows:

                              HOW TO GET CPROLOG

CProlog  is a Prolog interpreter written in C for VAXes. It will run both under
Unix and VMS. CProlog is almost entirely compatible with DEC-10 Prolog and also
very similar to the dialect of Prolog described in  the  book  "Programming  in
Prolog" by Bill Clocksin and Chris Mellish.

Copies of CProlog, for research and teaching only, can be obtained from

            EdCAAD
            Dept. of Architecture
            University of Edinburgh
            20 Chambers Street
            Edinburgh EH1 1GZ
            Scotland

At the moment, there is no  mechanism  to  distribute  CProlog  for  commercial
purposes.  However, if you would like to use CProlog commercially, please write
to Aart Bijl at the address above giving details of your  interest.  This  will
help to speed up the release of CProlog for commercial use.

    Fernando Pereira

    EK245
    AI Center
    SRI International
    333 Ravenswood Ave.
    Menlo Park, California 94025
    USA

    Phone: (415)859-5494
    ARPANET: PEREIRA@SRI-AI
-------

bts (12/02/82)

Here's more information, on how to get Prolog and why you might
want to.  Thanks, once again, to Fernando Pereira, at SRI.

					Bruce Smith, UNC-CH
					duke!unc!bts
					bts.unc@udel-relay

	Date:  1 Dec 1982 1210-PST
	From: PEREIRA at SRI-AI
	To: bts.unc at UDEL-RELAY
	cc: PEREIRA at SRI-AI

Info on Prolog systems for Unix:

Why should I want Prolog?
=========================

Prolog is a simple but powerful programming language for symbolic
computation based on a computationally treatable subset of logic. It
can be seen as a clean combination of the concepts of symbolic
programming languages such as Lisp and those of relational databases.

Prolog was born at the University of Marseille in the early 70's.
After 8 years of comparative obscurity in a small community of
dedicated implementers and users, Prolog has been brought to the
attention of the wider world by its surprising adoption as
the starting point for the Japanese 5th generation computer research
effort.

Prolog has been used for (order of items doesn't imply any form of
ranking):

	- natural language interaction with computer systems
	- architectural design
	- drug design (very successful commercial application
	  in Hungary)
	- VLSI circuit analysis
	- artificial intelligence research
	- compiler writing (Prolog itself, APL)
	- algebraic computation
	- database access and data description languages
	- discrete event simulation
	- program development systems
	- expert systems

and certainly more that I can't remember or don't know about.

I have a Unix system; how do I get Prolog?

Please note that Prolog, like other interactive symbolic languages
requires more space to run than lower-level languages. Don't
expect miracles on a PDP-11.

For the PDP-11 UNIX V6 or V7:

	- Chris Mellish's system, obtainable from

		Dept. of Artificial Intelligence
		University of Edinburgh
		Forrest Hill
		Edinburgh
		Scotland

	- Very compact and reasonably fast, will run substantial
	  programs even without separate I/D space.
	- As far as I know, its development has been frozen.
	- Writen in PDP-11 assembly code.

For the VAX UNIX 4.1 BSD or Eunice under VMS:

	- CProlog, obtainable from

		EdCAAD
		Dept. of Architecture
		University of Edinburgh
		20 Chambers St.
		Edinburgh EH1 1GZ
		Scotland

	- Designed for machines with 32 bit addresses; requires
	  at least 750K of virtual memory to run comfortably.
	- it has an extensive set of system predicates.
	- still being developed and improved: if you get the
	  initial license from EdCAAD, you may ask me for
	  bug fixes and improvements.
	- Written in C and Prolog.

Forthcoming:

	For the VAX and Z8000:

	- POPLOG, combined POP-11 and Prolog from the University of
	  Sussex (available now only for VMS).
	- Reported to be somewhat faster than CProlog.
	- Written in POP-11 and VAX assembly code.

	For 68000:

	- EdCAAD's CProlog is being ported.

All these systems comply broadly with the syntax and reportoire
of system predicates described in "Programming in Prolog"
by Bill Clocksin and Chris Mellish, Springer Verlag 1981.
This is the book to get if you want to get into Prolog.

Others:

	There are several other more or less portable Prolog
	systems written in C or Pascal, but they are rather
	experimental and I cannot recommend them for general
	use.

If you have information about other Prolog systems, want to know more
about Prolog or have bug reports on CProlog, write to:

	Fernando Pereira
	Artificial Intelligence Center
	SRI International
	333 Ravenswood Ave.
	Menlo Park, California 94025
	USA
	Phone: (415)859-5494
	ARPANET: PEREIRA@SRI-AI

*** Stop Press:

Another Prolog in C, for VAXes, PDP-11s, 8086s, etc...

	UNSW Prolog, obtainable from

	Claude Sammut
	Dept. of Math and Computer Science
	Saint Joseph's University