[net.lang.prolog] Availability of prolog?

paul (12/10/82)

	I noticed the existence of the prolog net.  Can anyone out there
bring us up to date on prolog availabilty for 4.1bsd prolog, especially in
C or Pascal?  The Computer Science department here is interested in things
like compiler implementation in prolog, type inference, and AI
applications.  We have an Amdahl 580 which will soon host a non-portable
version of prolog, but we would like one on our Unix system as well.

paul (12/10/82)

	I noticed the existence of the prolog net.  Can anyone out there
bring us up to date on prolog availabilty for 4.1bsd prolog, especially in
C or Pascal?  The Computer Science department here is interested in things
like compiler implementation in prolog, type inference, and AI
applications.  We have an Amdahl 580 which will soon host a non-portable
version of prolog, but we would like one on our Unix system as well.
>From duke!decvax!harpo!zeppo!whuxk!houxm!ihnp4!ixn5c!inuxc!pur-ee!uiucdcs!marcel Fri Dec 10 18:27:18 1982
Subject: Prolog performance comparisons - (nf)
Newsgroups: net.lang.prolo

#N:uiucdcs:29700001:000:1038
uiucdcs!marcel    Dec 10 17:29:00 1982

To those wanting to hear of comparisons between various Prologs
the Digital Computing Lab at U of Illinois/Urbana
has several systems. The following figures are by courtesy
of Scott Renner. They apply to a quicksort of 30 elements.

Ident	  	Machine		Loading system		Execute program
		 	 	  & program

Edinburgh  	DEC-10		1.3 sec   35 Kb		1.2 sec	  47 Kb
Waterloo   	VAX		0.7 sec   17 Kb		0.6 sec	  24 Kb
Micro-Prolog	Z-80		10-12 sec 15 Kb		2.9 sec   28 Kb
Belgian 	CYBER 		0.08 sec  21 Kb		1.4 sec	  21 Kb
CProlog		VAX		1.8 sec	  21 Kb		0.7 sec	  25 Kb

And for those interested in the debate over relative speeds of
compiled LISP vs compiled Prolog, there is a paper in the 1982
ACM Symposium on LISP and Functional Programming which presents
evidence that compiled LISP is frequently twice as fast as compiled
Prolog !!

				Marcel Schoppers
				Department of Computer Science
				222 Digital Computing Lab