[net.lang.prolog] Forwarded from Pereira at SRI

bts (12/11/82)

	Date: 10 Dec 1982 1449-PST
	From: PEREIRA at SRI-AI
	Subject: [PEREIRA at SRI-AI: Re: Prolog]
	To: bts.unc at UDEL-RELAY

Some of the infomation on the following message might be useful
for the prolog newsgroup.
                ---------------

CProlog is a system for serious work, and is relatively well
developed. I am continuing to improve and debug it here at SRI.
For legal reasons, I cannot distribute the system, except to
people that have already a license from Edinburgh. I don't have
the time to send copies of my improved version of the system to
other people on a regular basis, but I will be glad to answer
any specific queries and gripes.

CProlog was designed to run on large address space machines,
and so it would be very difficult to port it to the Onyx
machine, as it gives only 128k bytes per process. However,
there is another Prolog in C that will run on a Z8000, UNSW
Prolog from

	Claude Sammut
	Dept. of Math and Computer Science
	Saint Joseph's University
	5600 City Avenue
	Philadelphia
	PA 19131

That system has also a number of nice features in its interface with
Unix, that CProlog lacks (on the other hand, CProlog has floating
point numbers and some powerful database features that other Prologs
don't have). Overall, the two systems are very nearly compatible.

Although there are network connections with Edinburgh from the US, it
is two painful to send large files through them (I have given up ...).
However, the mail connections are reasonably good: some machines in
the UK are on USENET, and there is also an Arpanet gateway that allows
mail between various nets in the UK and the US.

Prolog is being used at many universities and companies in the US.
Here is a sample: Syracuse, Kentucky, Stanford, Caltech, Rochester,
Duke, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Yale; SRI, DEC, IBM, HP.

		Fernando Pereira (pereira@sri-ai)
-------
-------