[net.lang.prolog] Turbo Prolog

vantreeck@logic.DEC (03/06/86)

A recent article in EE Times covered Borland Intl.'s
announcement of Turbo Pascal. An incremental compiler with
a speed of 100KLIPS on an IBM PC and 300KLIPS on an IBM PC
AT. Does anyone know what benchmark was used to obtain
these numbers, e.g., naive_reverse? Or is this just some BS
from Borland's marketing department?

-George

blenko@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Blenko) (03/07/86)

EE Times mentions a 100kLIPs figure and a 300kLIPs figure, the latter
for a compiled, single-clause database. No, they didn't say where the
former figure came from, and yes, it would be nice to know.

I called the number listed and was told that they were providing no
other information at this time. The product is in testing. A further
announcement is scheduled for April, and you can get on their mailing
list for that (I called (408) 438-8400 and asked for information about
Turbo PROLOG).

	Tom

bull@onion.cs.reading.UUCP (Stephen) (03/10/86)

In article <1524@decwrl.DEC.COM> vantreeck@dec-logic.UUCP writes:

>A recent article in EE Times covered Borland Intl.'s
>announcement of Turbo Pascal. An incremental compiler with
>a speed of 100KLIPS on an IBM PC and 300KLIPS on an IBM PC
>AT. Does anyone know what benchmark was used to obtain
>these numbers, e.g., naive_reverse? Or is this just some BS
>from Borland's marketing department?
>
>-George

Come on..... Edinburgh Prolog on a DEC 10 only runs at 40KLIPS .........

              stephen bull

tel:  875123  ex 411   , ex 7203
mail: bull@onion.cs.reading.ac.uk

cdsm@icdoc.UUCP (Chris Moss) (03/10/86)

In article <1524@decwrl.DEC.COM> vantreeck@dec-logic.UUCP writes:

>A recent article in EE Times covered Borland Intl.'s
>announcement of Turbo Pascal. An incremental compiler with
                       ^^^^^^
          you mean Prolog don't you!

>a speed of 100KLIPS on an IBM PC and 300KLIPS on an IBM PC
>AT. Does anyone know what benchmark was used to obtain
>these numbers, e.g., naive_reverse? Or is this just some BS
>from Borland's marketing department?

I gather that Turbo Prolog is basically York Prolog - (which is
of course written in Pascal and thus doubtlessly uses Turbo Pascal).
But it's not fast. I guess they mean 100 LIPS and 300 LIPS
respectively!

--Chris Moss, Imperial College.

rb@ccivax.UUCP (rex ballard) (03/21/86)

In article <1524@decwrl.DEC.COM> vantreeck@logic.DEC writes:

>A recent article in EE Times covered Borland Intl.'s
>announcement of Turbo Pascal. An incremental compiler with
				  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>a speed of 100KLIPS on an IBM PC and 300KLIPS on an IBM PC
>AT. Does anyone know what benchmark was used to obtain
>these numbers, e.g., naive_reverse? Or is this just some BS
>from Borland's marketing department?
>
>-George

Incremental compilers cheat!:-)  They tokenize, resolve references,
and do about 80% of the actual work while you are typing in the program.
Really good ones can link a module change to existing modules.  There
are about 20 other good tricks that incremental compilers can use.
A more honest :-) quote might be bytes of Object created per second.

Of course, since there are only a few incremental compilers around,
any comparison is kind of silly.  The main advantage is the ability
to interactively compile/link/load/run your program almost as fast
as an interpreter can do it.  The main disadvantage is that to get
this blinding speed, you have to use the provided editor. Some of the
older incrementals (Basic-09 et. al.) had LINE editors (yeachh:-)).
If you used a screen editor and "Loaded" the source, the initial load
could take a while (still quite fast).  Basic is an easy language
for incremental compilation, just use calls instead of "tokens".
It will be interesting to see a good structured language in an incremental
form.