[net.lang.prolog] TOO MUCH TRAFFIC

avg@diablo.UUCP (06/17/86)

Please don't post lengthy articles to this newsgroup (net.lang.prolog)
and also to prolog-digest@su-score.  You will note that Prolog Digest goes
to this news group anyway.  Lately the redundancy and volume have been
very high.  People who pay phone bills will soon start cancelling
net.lang.prolog unless we clean up our act.  Please be considerate.

Also, when someone asks a question consider responding to the asker
instead of to the net, especially when (A) the answer is long, or
(B) the question is not of particularly general interest.

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (06/20/86)

> Please don't post lengthy articles to this newsgroup (net.lang.prolog)
> and also to prolog-digest@su-score.

That's not what people are doing. The moderator of the Prolog Digest
is picking up articles of interest from net.lang.prolog and putting
them into the mailing list for the ARPAnet (often with mangled
return addresses, but that's another issue). Then the Digest gets
gatewayed back onto Usenet. I've had several articles appear twice
in this way.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this newsgroup. The
signal-to-noise ratio is very high by Usenet standards. (And let's
all shut up from now on about whether there's too much traffic,
since we just create more traffic by talking about it.)

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave