[net.rec.bridge] U.S. Wins Bermuda Bowl; Great Britain Wins Venice Cup

wildbill@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (William J. Laubenheimer) (11/05/85)

The United States team of Chip Martel, Lew Stansby, Hugh Ross, Peter Pender,
Bob Hamman, and Bobby Wolff (Alfred Sheinwold, NPC) has won the 1985 Bermuda
Bowl competition, which ended Saturday in Sao Paulo, Brazil, beating the
Austrian team of Jan Fucik, Franz Terraneo, Heinrich Berger, Wolfgang Meinl,
Kurt Feichtinger, and Karl Rohan (Franz Baratta, NPC) in the finals.

Although I do not have the total score at this time, the U.S. was leading
by 78 IMPs with 48 boards to play, and lengthened their lead to 98 IMPs
with 16 boards left.

The U.S. team thus gained a measure of revenge against the Austrians, as
Fucik, Terraneo, Berger, and Meinl were all members of the 1984 Olympiad
team which eliminated the U.S. Olympiad team, of which Hamman and Wolff
were members, in the quarterfinals in Seattle.

The Venice Cup finals also featured a rematch from last year's Olympiad,
as the U.S. #1 team of Kathie Wei, Judi Radin, Jacqui Mitchell, Gail Greenberg,
Carol Sanders, and Betty Ann Kennedy (Dan Morse, NPC), Ladies' champions in
1984, met the British team of Michelle Brunner, Gillian Scott-Jones, Nicola
Smith, Pat Davies, Sally Horton, and Sandra Landy (Grattan Endicott, NPC).
Smith, Davies, Horton, and Landy were part of the British Olympiad team
which lost to the U.S. in the Olympiad finals. The previous result was
once again reversed, as the British team beat the U.S. by a comfortable
110 IMPs.

I will continue to post details on these events, plus results from the Fall
North American Championships, currently under way in Winnipeg, as I
receive them.

                                        Bill Laubenheimer
----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
     ...Killjoy went that-a-way--->     ucbvax!wildbill
Remember: You can always tell a bridge player, but you can't tell him much.

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (11/05/85)

I don't follow tounament bridge, so excuse my ignorance about
this question.

From reading the names of the team members in the Bermuda Bowl and
Venice cup matches, it seems that the Bermuda Bowl is for men and the
Venice cup is for women.  Is that true?  If so, why?  I thought some
of the best bridge players in the world were women, and see no reason
why there should be separate tournaments for men and women.

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (11/07/85)

In article <605@bonnie.UUCP> wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) writes:
>I don't follow tounament bridge, so excuse my ignorance about
>this question.
>
>From reading the names of the team members in the Bermuda Bowl and
>Venice cup matches, it seems that the Bermuda Bowl is for men and the
>Venice cup is for women.  Is that true?  If so, why?  I thought some
>of the best bridge players in the world were women, and see no reason
>why there should be separate tournaments for men and women.

   My understanding is that the Bermuda Bowl is an open tournament. It is
available to both men and women (and I believe some women have played in it
in past years) but the Venice Cup is only open to women.  Thus, while the
concept is sexist, it is biased towards women.

   The reason this probably came about is that most (but not all) of the
better players in the world are men. (For reasons that can be discussed at
a later time)  Therefore, most players representing their country in a
tournament like the Bermuda Bowl are also male. The same concept which
applies to the Bermuda Bowl and Venice Cup also applies in US championships.
e.g. The Vanderbilt and Spingold championships are open and opposite them
are run women's championships.  Each woman must decide for herself whether
she wishes to play in the open or women's championship. Most pick the
women's championship.

   Helen Sobel played many times on the US team and I believe that Dorothy
Truscutt also did. Sobel played with Charles Goren and Truscutt with B. J.
Becker.  Australia has a pair who are marrried (I think their name is
Bolin) who have represented their country many times.  Their have been others
but I can't remember.