[net.rec.bridge] minor play problem

prm@aplcen.UUCP (Paul McMullin APL x7823) (01/14/86)

N    E     S    W     (N-S VUL)
1c   1s(1) p    2nt
p    3s(2) p    4s(3)     (All Pass(4)): Opening lead, 7clubs.

	    (Dummy), W: Ax
			Qx
			AJ9
S exposed:              KJ8643         N exposed:
7c, 9c                                       Qc, Ac
		You, E: KJT98x
			Jx
			Q8xx
			2

(1): Let's not incite them with a pre-empt... I hate pre-empts
(2): Don't have it (pass! pass! pass! Damn, where's telepathy when you need it?)
(3): Best-hand-at-the-table syndrome...
(4): (I wish I had pre-empted...)

After calmly calling for the "small club" on the opening lead which loses to
the Queen(!), you ruff the club Ace(!) continuation (while the person on your
right gags...) Plan the play to take advantage of their goof (scoring IMPS).

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (01/16/86)

In article <118@aplcen.UUCP> prm@aplcen.UUCP (Paul McMullin APL x7823) writes:

>	    (Dummy), W: Ax
>			Qx
>			AJ9
>S exposed:		KJ8643		N exposed:
>7c, 9c					Qc, Ac
>		You, E: KJT98x
>			Jx
>			Q8xx
>			2

   The situation seems clear; North has three clubs and hence is 4423, 4333,
or 3433.  It is possible that you will be forced to lose a diamond, a spade,
and a club, so you must avoid heart losers.  So you cash KA of spades to draw
South's trumps, and start pitching hearts on clubs.  If North does not ruff,
or ruffs with the queen, you pitch your second heart, and lose at most a club,
a diamond, and a trump.  If he ruffs small you overruff, cross to the board
with the AD, and play another club pitching your heart.
   Note that if North refuses to ruff you plan to simply cash AD and continue
the clubs.  If North ruffs you have no problem with control, and if he lets
you pitch two diamonds you are down to JT9 of trump and QD, and can hardly
lose more than two tricks.

   -- David desJardins

rainbow@ihlts.UUCP (Robert) (01/17/86)

<Newsgroups: net.rec.bridge>	<Subject: minor play problem>

N    E     S    W     (N-S VUL)	IMPS
1c   1s    p    2nt
p    3s    p    4s

            (Dummy), W: Ax
                        Qx
                        AJ9
S exposed:              KJ8643         N exposed:
7c, 9c                                       Qc, Ac
                You, E: KJT98x
                        Jx
                        Q8xx
                        2

Opening lead 7C. North wins QC and continues with the A, south
following with the 9.
There is some info missing. What do they lead from three small?
More importantly, what is their opening no trump range?

I will assume they lead middle from three small and they open 1NT with 15-17.

LHO had three clubs, in particular 975.
RHO does not have both heart honors. Two reasons. RHO would have
cashed them before trying the AC. LHO signalled for hearts with the 9C.
If LHO has a heart honor, the KD is with RHO, else LHO has a negative dbl.
LHO is xx-xxxxx-xxx-xxx, x-xxxxxx-xxx-xxx, x-xxxxx-xxxx-xxx
RHO is xxx-xxxx-Kxx-AQT, xxxx-xxx-Kxx-AQT, xxxx-xxxx-Kx-AQT

Should I finesse spades? Let's see.

Can LHO have the AH? Very doubtful if holding a stiff spade because that
looks like a fine negative double. I would expect a negative dbl even
if holding two spades, AH, and 5+ hearts more often than not. I consider
this unlikely then.

So if RHO has the AH, that accounts for 13 points. No room for the QS.
So I anticipate LHO to be Qx-Kxxxx-xxx-xxx. Following through on this,
I cash two spades ending in dummy expecting the Q to drop. If it does I
run clubs to my hearts(pun intended) content, overruffing when necessary
and using the AD to continue(after drawing any possible remaining trumps).

If the QS doesn't drop, but spades break 3-2, I run clubs again and
use the AD to run some more after RHO ruffs(pitching hearts first)

If RHO shows up with four spades(unlikely in my opinion), I pitch one heart
on a club. Try another club overruffing RHO. AD. Another club pitching my
last heart as RHO ruffs with the QS(note RHO must ruff these clubs else
the hand is over if I pitch too many losers). Now I must tackle the diamond
suit for one loser from my hand, Q8x, opposite J9 with four to the KT
outstanding. Lets see what we know. LHO must have the AH else RHO had a 15
count. LHO had a stiff spade but couldn't find a call.
Is LHO x-Axxxx-xxxx-xxx or x-Axxxxx-xxx-xxx?
Is RHO Qxxx-Kxxx-Kx-AQT or Qxxx-Kxx-Kxx-AQT?
I find either hard to believe, but if I get this far and haven't made
the contract yet, I'll play for 3-3 diamonds. Only a hunch. If LHO is
bad enough not to find a negative double with either hand, then
LHO is bad enough to think they need both hearts and diamonds to make
a negative double. Hence LHO has only three diamonds.

Am I down 1?

Now, what happens if they open 16-18 point no trumps?
That means RHO most likely has QS, AH, KD, AQC. LHO only has the KH.
My above analysis indicates I think RHO is a heavy favorite
to hold the QS. Should I play for 3-2 spades with the Q onside?
I still have the same diamond guess guess if spades are 4-1.
Do I finesse? A definite no. If thats the position(spades 3-2, Q onside)
the above line works just as well. And the above line drops any honor
holding by LHO in spades. Once again I'll play for 3-3 diamonds if
necessary due to the failure to negative double with x-Kxxxx-xxxx-xxx.
Though I wouldn't be confident. I'd watch closely for a count signal by
LHO to maybe change my mind.

Robert

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (01/22/86)

In article <118@aplcen.UUCP> prm@aplcen.UUCP (Paul McMullin APL x7823) writes:

>	    (Dummy), W: Ax
>			Qx
>			AJ9
>S exposed:		KJ8643		N exposed:
>7c, 9c					Qc, Ac
>		You, E: KJT98x
>			Jx
>			Q8xx
>			2

   One point in the play of this hand may be of further interest, as it
illustrates a simple but valuable application of bridge probabilities.
After the club ruff, KA of spades, LHO showing out, J of clubs pitching a
heart, club ruffed small by RHO and overruffed, diamond to the ace, club
ruffed with the QS while you pitch a heart, heart return ruffed in your
hand, the position will be as follows:

		     W: --
			J9
			64

		     E: JT
			--
			Q8x
			--

The question now is how to play the diamond suit for one loser.  Obviously
there are two possibilities, small to the J or small to the 9.

Given that RHO holds the KD, the two lines may seem to have roughly the same
chance of success.  One looks for the TD to be onside; the other looks for
the diamonds to break evenly.  Let's compute the actual probabilities:

   Suppose no diamond honor dropped under the ace, or appears when you lead a
small diamond toward the J9.  Then RHO was dealt one of the following hands
(where H represents either the ace or king of hearts):

     A: Qxxx	     B: Qxxx	     C: Qxxx	     D: Qxxx
	Hxxx	or	Hxx		Hxx	or	Hx
	Kx		KTx		Kxx		KTxx
	AQx		AQx		AQx		AQx

If he has (C) either play will work; if he has (D) neither play will work.
The relevant hands here are (A) and (B).  The number of possible hands of
the two types (and thus their relative probabilities) may be computed as
follows (assume spades and clubs are already determined):

   # of hands = (# ways to choose heart honor) x
	(# ways to choose heart spots) x (# ways to choose diamond spots)

   Pattern A: (2C1)(7C3)(3C1) = (2)(35)(3) = 210 hands
   Pattern B: (2C1)(7C2)(3C1) = (2)(21)(3) = 126 hands

Thus hand A is 67% more likely than hand B, and so the 9 should be played
from the board.

   At the table, it should be easy to see that RHO has only four unknown
cards (apart from Qxxx/H/K/AQx) and LHO has eight unknown cards (he is known
to hold only x/H/-/T9x), so of course the TD is much more likely to be with
LHO.

   -- David desJardins

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (01/29/86)

In article <11492@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> I write:
>   One point in the play of this hand may be of further interest, as it
>illustrates a simple but valuable application of bridge probabilities.

Actually what it illustrates is that too much calculating can prevent
you from looking closely enough at the hand...

>After the club ruff, KA of spades, LHO showing out, J of clubs pitching a
>heart, club ruffed small by RHO and overruffed, diamond to the ace, club
>ruffed with the QS while you pitch a heart, heart return ruffed in your
>hand, the position will be as follows:
>
>		     W: --
>			J9
>			64
>
>		     E: JT
>			--
>			Q8x
>			--
>
>The question now is how to play the diamond suit for one loser.  Obviously
>there are two possibilities, small to the J or small to the 9.
> (long analysis of probabilities)

   Unfortunately I seem to have gone astray at the "Obviously"; the 100%
line is to lay down the QD.  This loses only if one hand holds KTxx (and
ducks), which is not possible since we are assuming that RHO holds the KD.
   Does the fact that no one pointed this out to me mean that nobody saw
it, or that nobody is reading this stuff anyway?

   -- David desJardins