[net.taxes] id AA12739; Wed, 22 Feb 84 05:23:25 pst

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (02/22/84)

Date: Wednesday, 22 Feb 1984 05:20:22-PST
From: erlang::whalen  (An Italian at heart)
To: net.taxes
Subject: Re: Q on Refunds of State & Local Taxes (1040 line 10)

I'm wondering about this one too.  This year is the first year I've been
able to itemize, and that line will mean something to me next year.  My
gut feeling on it is this:  If you got a refund from the state (or local)
so that you paid the state less taxes than you stated on schedule A then
you report the refund.  Here is an example;  Massachusetts took out $1700
from my pay last year.  After figuring out my state tax I found out that I
overpaid $85.  On my schedule A I put down that I paid the state $1615.
Though I did get a refund I would say that I don't have to report it
because I only deducted the amount of tax actually paid.  I don't have any
substantiation for this belief, I read the instructions a few times and
still didn't know how to deal with it.  I gave up because it doesn't
affect me this year, but I'm going to find out for sure before sending off
my return next year!

Rich Whalen
Digital Equipment Corporation
UUCP:   ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!erlang!whalen

halle1@houxz.UUCP (J.HALLE) (02/23/84)

You only need to report any state or local tax refund to the extent
it reduced your tax.  If you did not itemize, ie you took the standard
deduction, you do not report it at all.  If you did itemize and declared
a deduction for the taxes paid, you must report the refund as income,
WITH ONE EXCEPTION.  Suppose your itemized deductions totaled $3500,
including $900 for state tax.  (Just example numbers.  Assuming
married so standard deduction is $3400.)  You received a $300 refund.
Only $100 of this is reported, as the remaining $200 did not reduce your
tax.  (I doubt that this exception ever happens, but it is part of the code.)

mark@elsie.UUCP (02/23/84)

One other exception (as I understand the tax code). If you only deduct the
amount of state tax you actually owed, rather than what you payed out in the
taxable year, then the refund is not taxable since it did not affect the
tax you payed for the previous year. Generally, you're better off deducting
the state tax (withholding + estimated) acutally *paid* in the year. Tax on
the refund gets deferred until the next year (or at least 3 months if you
have to pay estimated).

--
Mark J. Miller
NIH/NCI/DCE/LEC

jhh@ihldt.UUCP (John Haller) (02/25/84)

You can only deduct actual taxes owed if you file on the accrual
basis.  If you file on the cash basis like most of us, you
must report actual taxes withheld + excess owed from year before
or - refund received.  This means that all (non-federal, etc.)
tax payments made in 1983, whether for 1982 taxes, or 1983
withholding, are 1983 deductions.  Similarly, the payments
received or made for 1983 state tax returns will not have
any affect on the 1983 federal tax return.

		John Haller