[net.taxes] Non-cash Charitable Donations

jb@druxm.UUCP (BreddanJB) (05/09/84)

Subject: Non-cash charitable donations
Newsgroups: net.taxes

I'm considering donating an old car to charity, and have two questions which
I'd appreciate advice on:

 1) Does anyone know of any charitable organizations that could put it to
particularly good use?

 2) How does one go about getting a reasonably favorable assessment for tax
purposes, and what kind of documentation is needed in case of an audit?  Is
the procedure the same for most any non-cash donation?

Thanks in advance.
                                            Joe Breddan
                                            druxm!jb

cfk@houxf.UUCP (KLEIN) (05/10/84)

You might try donating your car to a high school
with a auto repair course, a technical school, etc.
Typically, they need lots of cars to tear apart
and put together again without risk.
I'm not entirely sure of the charitable status
of schools, but its worth a try. A reasonable estimate
of your car's worth can be found from the retail value
column of the Blue Book found at credit unions, or
from auto ads from newspapers.

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (05/11/84)

Subject: donating a car to charity for the tax deductions

1.  Where to donate:  Vocational high schools use donated cars
for their students to learn auto mechanics.  Last year I tried
to make two such donations.  After checking several schools, I
found one that would take one of my cars because it was front
wheel drive (which is rare in older cars); I couldn't find
a similar home for my other car.  It seems that a lot of
people want to get a tax deduction when they get rid of older
cars.

2.  How much to deduct:  The school gave me a rcpt. for the car,
but would not quote a value.  According to IRS, the deduction should
be fail market value, so I used the then current NADA used car price
guide to estimate the price (these are usually available in the
public library).  I'll let you know if I get audited on it!

Bill Hery