[net.taxes] Fun with the Taxman

jmsellens@watmath.UUCP (John M Sellens) (01/11/85)

Since tax time is coming up (no - not again!!) I thought I would
pass this along.

In Canada (at least), Revenue Canada must keep *everything* that you file
with your tax return.  So, being the semi-respectable accountant that I
am, a couple of years ago I drew a nice little picture (in my red and
green auditing pencils - natch) of something like a smiley face and
captioned it something like "Have a nice day, and thanks for looking
at my return!".  And what did I do with it?  Why, staple to my return,
of course.

So, lighten up a tax auditor's day - send him a nice little drawing in
crayon this year!

John

p.s. Of course, it would be imprudent (not to mention financially silly)
to overdo it ...

ler@ihu1e.UUCP (Litzhoff) (01/11/85)

To all US taxpayers who get the royal shaft from the Uncle Sam, might
I suggest a little fun with the Tax Man for the upcoming years.
Instead of sending a smiley along with your tax return to the
Tax Man, staple your tax return to a large piece of wood and enclose it
in a wooden crate. Remember you are only penalized if you send in a
late return. The law does not state how it has to get there.

karn@petrus.UUCP (01/12/85)

> To all US taxpayers who get the royal shaft from the Uncle Sam, might
> I suggest a little fun with the Tax Man for the upcoming years.
> Instead of sending a smiley along with your tax return to the
> Tax Man, staple your tax return to a large piece of wood and enclose it
> in a wooden crate. Remember you are only penalized if you send in a
> late return. The law does not state how it has to get there.

Please note the section in the latest 1040's about the penalties for
"filing a frivolous return". Obviously, this is an unconstitutional
rule (who the hell defines "frivolous"??), but they've got more lawyers
than you do.

Phil

rhesmith@wlcrjs.UUCP (Richard H. E. Smith II) (01/13/85)

In article <371@ihu1e.UUCP> ler@ihu1e.UUCP (Litzhoff) writes:
>To all US taxpayers who get the royal shaft from the Uncle Sam, might
>I suggest a little fun with the Tax Man for the upcoming years.
>Instead of sending a smiley along with your tax return to the
>Tax Man, staple your tax return to a large piece of wood and enclose it
>in a wooden crate. Remember you are only penalized if you send in a
>late return. The law does not state how it has to get there.

If I were Mr. Taxman, and I was in a bad mood when your return arrived
in its crate, I'd consider the penalty for filing a "frivolous return".
No, I'm not sure that it applies, but I'd guess that it could.  Besides,
you're going to end up paying for the postage to ship the box to the IRS...
and why bother.  Somehow, I doubt if they'd save your wood; they probably
don't save envelopes either.

--
Dick Smith						..ihnp4!wlcrjs!rhesmith