[net.taxes] New Income Averaging form question

dls@panda.UUCP (Diana L. Syriac) (02/06/85)

I've just calculated my taxes for this year and I find for the first time
in all my years of income taxes (< 10 yrs), that we may actually have to
PAY in some additional money to good old IRS.

My question concerns directly the new income averaging form.  This year,
it's using the past three years instead of the past four years, plus, the
numbers to multiply/divide the total past years has changed also and is
figured differently.  Last year (and for at least 3 years before that), it
was calculated by multiplying the total past 4 years by .3 (30%).  This
year, you divide by 3, then multiply by 1.4, which is the equivalent of
multiplying the total past 3 years by .47 (47%).

If I figure my "total average" using the old way, I eventually get a
difference of $12000 of averagable income.  Figuring it the new way I
eventually get a difference of $24 of averagable income (remember, it has
to be greater than $3000 to use the form).

Am I doing something wrong, or is the government just trying to make us
stop using this form?  Have others had this problem as well?

I'd appreciate any info on the new Income Averaging forms.

	thank you.

				Diana L. Syriac
				decvax!genrad!panda!dls

preston@fortune.UUCP (Carol Preston) (02/08/85)

In article <280@panda.UUCP> dls@panda.UUCP (Diana L. Syriac) writes:
>My question concerns directly the new income averaging form.  This year,
>Am I doing something wrong, or is the government just trying to make us
>stop using this form?  Have others had this problem as well?

Yes they are trying to make us stop using this form.  My mom works at H&R
Block.  One of the things she did over the summer was to go through a sampling
of last years forms and see if the people who income averaged last year could
have income averaged using this new method.  She said that only about 1/3 of
the people could.  The thing that makes me the maddest was this would have
been the first year I could have done it the old way.

--
Carol Preston
{hpda, ihnp4, allegra, ucbvax!dual}!fortune!preston

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (02/09/85)

<<<
  Someone at the IRS must have realized that inflation helps anyone who
income averages and helps offset "Bracket Creep". Since they had to give
that up and start adjusting the tax rates for inflation they must have
needed to get the money back somehow.

  What irks me is that 4 years ago I was in school and had some really nice
low income years to average in with my current income. Now Poof! its gone in
the stroke to a pen.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

tower@inmet.UUCP (02/14/85)

Re: New Income Averaging Form

Just another case of Reagonomics:
Take from the middle class, and give to the upper class.

I too am losing out!

-len tower	    UUCP:     {ihnp4,harpo}!inmet!tower
 Intermetrics, Inc. INTERNET: ima!inmet!tower@CCA-UNIX.ARPA
		    USPS:     733 Concord Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA
		    PHONE:    (617) 661-1840

guy@sdcc12.UUCP (Guy A. Lewis) (02/19/85)

> I've just calculated my taxes for this year and I find for the first time
> in all my years of income taxes (< 10 yrs), that we may actually have to
> PAY in some additional money to good old IRS.
>
> My question concerns directly the new income averaging form.  This year,
> it's using the past three years instead of the past four years, plus, the
> numbers to multiply/divide the total past years has changed also and is
> figured differently.  Last year (and for at least 3 years before that), it
> was calculated by multiplying the total past 4 years by .3 (30%).  This
> year, you divide by 3, then multiply by 1.4, which is the equivalent of
> multiplying the total past 3 years by .47 (47%).
>
> If I figure my "total average" using the old way, I eventually get a
> difference of $12000 of averagable income.  Figuring it the new way I
> eventually get a difference of $24 of averagable income (remember, it has
> to be greater than $3000 to use the form).
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is the government just trying to make us
> stop using this form?  Have others had this problem as well?
>
> I'd appreciate any info on the new Income Averaging forms.
>
> 	thank you.
>
> 				Diana L. Syriac
> 				decvax!genrad!panda!dls

  My question is even simplier, "What are the qualifications for being
  able to income average this year?" Last year my wife and I had a gross
  income of ~$6000 ( I was in school full time and didn't work much).
  Not realizing how much we were making this year ( Now that I am
  working full time or there abouts ) we have made in the neiborhood of
  ~$20,000. And worst of all we didn't change our tax status so it looks
  as if we may have to pay in $400. I would really like to at least not
  have to pay, of course getting a refund would be nice too.

  Can anyone help me??

  Thanks in advance,

  Guy A. Lewis

--