[net.taxes] An Immodest Proposal

wolit@alice.UUCP (Jan Wolitzky) (04/03/85)

As many of us have, I've been thinking lately of ways to convince the
Internal Revenue Service to allow me to hold on to a few more of my
hard-earned dollars.  My thoughts have been a bit distracted, though,
by all the news reports of violent protests and terrorist bombings at
family planning centers around the country.  Necessity, as often, being
the mother of invention, this situation has driven me to its own
solution, to wit, a healthy tax break for me, and an end to all this
bickering about what is or isn't life for the rest of society.

The elegance of the solution lies in its simplicity.  The IRS, of
course, allows you to claim your children as dependents.  You get a
nice, big personal exemption for each nice, little one, and a lower
tax rate the more you have, to boot.  Even if the happy event happens
to fall on December 31st, you get the tax benefits of having the child
around all year, without all the extra diapers.  The feds smile on
parenthood even in tragedy:  if your child should die after its first
breath, you still get the tax breaks.  Now even though I personally have
no children, I'd be crazy to campaign against Motherhood (or Fatherhood)
in this country, so I'm going to lobby for a special-interest group of
which I'm not even a member, and support retention of this policy.

The kicker is that, while my wife and I went through 1984
unaccompanied by the pitter-patter of little feet, we did make some
progress in that direction (twice, in fact, but a miscarriage cut short
her first pregnancy).  It suddenly dawned on me the other day that
if the administration in Washington wants to treat an embryo as a
human life, then part of that treatment ought to be the same tax
status enjoyed by any other offspring.  By the reasoning of Reagan,
Falwell, et. al., we should get to claim two additional dependents on
the old 1040 this year!

You see, the big snag in the abortion debate up til now has been over
exactly when the developing embryo should be considered a human being.
Those on the far right claim the moment of conception, those on the far
left the moment of birth, but for most of those in the middle, the argument
has fallen into the muddle of medical hair-splitting, with no dearth
of expert testimony for or against any particular position.  As long
as we allow the question to hinge on such a messy, controversial
point, neither side will be satisfied with the result.

Fortunately, tax laws do not rest on such shaky ground.  The IRS rules
supreme, and if they rule that your three-martini lunch is or is not
deductible, no amount of appeal on its nutritional merits will avail.
I think the same case can be made for the question of life itself
(after all, nothing is certain but death and you-know-what).  If they
won't let me take an exemption for my unborn children, why, that must
mean that they're not really children.  On the other hand, if the
government wants to count fetuses as constituents, it's only
consistent to let their parents claim them as dependents.

We've been barking up the wrong tree all along.  The crucial point in
this whole debate is not, after all, viability, but deductibility!
Feeling a bit like the characters in Douglas Adams' "Hitchhikers' Guide
to the Galaxy," anxiously awaiting an answer from a computer to the
question, "What is the meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything?,"
I am eager to hear what the IRS decides.
--
Jan Wolitzky, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ; (201) 582-2998
(Affiliation given for identification purposes only)

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (04/08/85)

Hmm.  What if we adopted a "flat tax" proposal that did away
with deductions for dependants.  Would that mean the dependants
(born or not) are not human?
--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (04/09/85)

> Hmm.  What if we adopted a "flat tax" proposal that did away
> with deductions for dependants.  Would that mean the dependants
> (born or not) are not human?
> --
>
> Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

No, of course not.  It would simply mean that couples would not get
a tax break for having children.

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (04/09/85)

> Hmm.  What if we adopted a "flat tax" proposal that did away
> with deductions for dependants.  Would that mean the dependants
> (born or not) are not human?
> --
>
> Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

That's right, Paul!  And those who don't qualify to pay federal taxes have
been considered unhuman for years!  Sheesh!

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (04/24/85)

In article <978@ihuxb.UUCP> mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) writes:
>> Hmm.  What if we adopted a "flat tax" proposal that did away
>> with deductions for dependants.  Would that mean the dependants
>> (born or not) are not human?
>> --
>>
>> Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd
>

>No, of course not.  It would simply mean that couples would not get
>a tax break for having children.

No, it means that it is 'open season' on people who don't pay their
taxes.  ;-)

		Matthew Goldman
               ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!goldman

Home is where you take off your hat...    Banzai!