[net.taxes] Waiting for my return

peggy@ism70.UUCP (05/03/85)

Anybody out there have any idea how long I should expect to wait for a
federal tax return filed the second week of March?

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (05/08/85)

> Anybody out there have any idea how long I should expect to wait for a
> federal tax return filed the second week of March?

Generally it takes 6-8 weeks to get your refund. It also depends on
the area that you mailed it in to, amount of the check, number of
happy taxpayers who filed at the same time, but the most important
item is the attitude of the clerk/GS*/government worker whatever
their called this year. Which means you will get yours whenever they
are dam well ready to give it to you.(after June 1 they pay 13% penalty
so it wont be to long)

rkl@mtuxo.UUCP (k.laux) (05/08/85)

REFERENCES:  <13400001@ism70.UUCP>

	If you have not received your return from your Federal taxes by
June 1, 1985, then Uncle Sammy has to pay you interest at the rate of 13%.

--

				R. Kevin Laux
				Software Vendor Tech Support

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (05/09/85)

> 	If you have not received your return from your Federal taxes by
> June 1, 1985, then Uncle Sammy has to pay you interest at the rate of 13%.

Just curious:  does the clock start running on June 1 or April 15?
Also, is the interest taxable?  (probably)

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (05/09/85)

In article <678@mtuxo.UUCP> rkl@mtuxo.UUCP (k.laux) writes:
||	If you have not received your return from your Federal taxes by
||June 1, 1985, then Uncle Sammy has to pay you interest at the rate of 13%.

We have it better in Canada. We get our interest from April 30 (filing
deadline), or the date the return is actually filed, whichever is later.
Income Tax Act, s. 164(3).

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (05/10/85)

> REFERENCES:  <13400001@ism70.UUCP>
>
> 	If you have not received your return from your Federal taxes by
> June 1, 1985, then Uncle Sammy has to pay you interest at the rate of 13%.
>
> --
>
> 				R. Kevin Laux
> 				Software Vendor Tech Support
> 				ATTIS Lincroft
> 				mtuxo!rkl
> 				201-576-3610

Before everybody runs out to spend their extra 13% think about it.
The Feds are not that stupid (????) Nobody is going to give anybody
13% of anything on the first day. You will get the good old 13% BUT
the way it was explained to me was that it is prorated over 365 days.
EXAMPLE: Your refund is $700. then 700*.13= 91. 91/365= .247 cents.

Makes you want to sit by the mailmox dosen't it?

dgh@sun.uucp (David Hough) (05/11/85)

In article <3704@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>> 	If you have not received your return from your Federal taxes by
>> June 1, 1985, then Uncle Sammy has to pay you interest at the rate of 13%.
>
>Just curious:  does the clock start running on June 1 or April 15?
>Also, is the interest taxable?  (probably)

The interest is taxable; I think the IRS now sends you 1099 forms the following
year to remind you to report it.  I think the clock starts on April 15, but
I am not sure of that.

The interest rate is the same as that charged on late payments,
and is subject to change every six months.

David Hough

ogre@mhuxl.UUCP (LO COCO) (05/13/85)

> Anybody out there have any idea how long I should expect to wait for a
> federal tax return filed the second week of March?

I just received by refund on May 11th. I sent out my return on Feb. 5th.
You can call (201)624-1223 which is Teletax computerized tax info number.
Supply it with your ss#,filing status and amount of return and it will
give you info on your return. Hint - though - you probably will be referred
to to toll free number for help or tracing possibilities - (800)424-1040.
			Good luck!

stj@calmasd.UUCP (Shirley Joe) (05/13/85)

>> 	If you have not received your return from your Federal taxes by
>> June 1, 1985, then Uncle Sammy has to pay you interest at the rate of 13%.
>
>Just curious:  does the clock start running on June 1 or April 15?
>Also, is the interest taxable?  (probably)

The IRS pays interest from April 15 if they haven't processed your return by
May 31.  Yes.  The interest is taxable.  They will send you a 1099G next
year before you have to file your 1985 return.

--

Spike
{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!calmasd!stj

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/13/85)

> Before everybody runs out to spend their extra 13% think about it.
> The Feds are not that stupid (????) Nobody is going to give anybody
> 13% of anything on the first day. You will get the good old 13% BUT
> the way it was explained to me was that it is prorated over 365 days.
> EXAMPLE: Your refund is $700. then 700*.13= 91. 91/365= .247 cents.

Congratulations, you've just figured out how annual rates go.  You think
they make you pay 14% on your car loan daily?  Consider that they aren't
being all that fair, because they charge you 20% interest when you owe
them money, even if it was their mistake (for example, if they sent you
a refund check that was bigger than what you were supposed to get).

-Ron

rjh@calmasd.UUCP (Bob Hofkin) (05/13/85)

I filed my return on March 11...the refund check came in today's mail
(May 13).  I deal with the Fresno office; your milage may vary.