[net.taxes] Schiff

alpert@chovax.DEC (01/23/86)

[]

>Well, as a tax lawyer (albeit Canadian) I think I *will* jump all
>over you.   I would like to see more details before I am prepared to
>believe your assertions about "political prisoners" and "guilty of no
>crime other than...".

The simple fact is that the majority of persons in the U.S. who
are convicted of "tax crimes" are political prisoners.  For example,
as Schiff points out, nowhere in our tax code is anyone "required"
to file "income" tax returns, nowhere is the language "mandatory"
or "required" used in connection with "income" tax returns, nor
is failing to file such returns specifically made a crime with
specific penalties.  In addition, our tax agency regularly breaks
all laws, from the Constitution to the tax code itself, in the normal
course of their business.

The reason a jury could be persuaded to convict Schiff is quite simple,
it is the principle of the Big Lie at work, with a good dose of
fear of the IRS thrown in for good measure.  Justice in tax cases
is nearly unknown in the U.S., one is presumed guilty by the IRS until
proven innocent, the IRS has the courts in their pocket and uses
judges as hatchetmen, and they are certainly not above lying to a jury
in a court of law.  Possibly in Canada things are done differently,
but in the U.S. the IRS has nearly unlimited powers that go far beyond
their actual legal authority.

For more details, see my original Schiff postings, plus the books
by Schiff, "The Biggest Con" , "The Great Income Tax Hoax", and
"The Social Security Swindle".

			Bob Alpert
			...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-chovax!alpert

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/24/86)

>>Well, as a tax lawyer (albeit Canadian) I think I *will* jump all
>>over you.   I would like to see more details before I am prepared to
>>believe your assertions about "political prisoners" and "guilty of no
>>crime other than...".
>>

> The simple fact is that the majority of persons in the U.S. who
> are convicted of "tax crimes" are political prisoners.  For example,
> as Schiff points out, nowhere in our tax code is anyone "required"
> to file "income" tax returns, nowhere is the language "mandatory"
> or "required" used in connection with "income" tax returns, nor
> is failing to file such returns specifically made a crime with
> specific penalties.  In addition, our tax agency regularly breaks
> all laws, from the Constitution to the tax code itself, in the normal
> course of their business.

> The reason a jury could be persuaded to convict Schiff is quite simple,
> it is the principle of the Big Lie at work, with a good dose of
> fear of the IRS thrown in for good measure.  Justice in tax cases
> is nearly unknown in the U.S., one is presumed guilty by the IRS until
> proven innocent, the IRS has the courts in their pocket and uses
> judges as hatchetmen, and they are certainly not above lying to a jury
> in a court of law.  Possibly in Canada things are done differently,
> but in the U.S. the IRS has nearly unlimited powers that go far beyond
> their actual legal authority.

> For more details, see my original Schiff postings, plus the books
> by Schiff, "The Biggest Con" , "The Great Income Tax Hoax", and
> "The Social Security Swindle".
>
>			Bob Alpert

Unfortunately, Schiff's claims are very hard to verify, because
in order to do so one would have to read the entire tax code!
And, I suppose, most people convicted of "tax crimes" are political
prisoners because Shiff says so.  Or is it because you say so?

How about some evidence?  So far, everything I've seen about Schiff
is consistent with two very different possibilities:

	(a) the government has indeed railroaded him, in violation
	of all the applicable laws, or

	(b) he is a criminal lunatic who has gotten what he deserved.

Now, I don't have at my disposal any experiment that I can do to
distinguish between these two cases.  For instance, even if I knew
how to obtain a transcript of the trial, that wouldn't help! -- if
case (a) were true, the transcript would be a fraud.  I certainly
don't have the time or knowledge to read the entire tax code!  So
how do I distinguish?  What independent evidence can I use?

shad@teldata.UUCP (01/27/86)

In article <4874@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:

> Unfortunately, Schiff's claims are very hard to verify, because
> in order to do so one would have to read the entire tax code!

Well, you better read and understand the entire code (USC Title 26)
because, if you are a taxpayer, it is the only 'law' that is
acceptable to the courts.  Even the tax court has thrown out IRS
publications as non-admissable evidence.  A U. S. Supreme Court
case (U.S. vs. Helvering) stated that one accepts the advice of an
IRS agent at his own peril, meaning that you are on your own: even
IRS agents are not accountable for their advice.  Remember the well
founded legal principle that ignorance of the law is no excuse, the
other principle of substantive due process (that the law should be
understandable by one of average intelligence) not withstanding.

---
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.  If you need legal help hire a shyster.
---

--

Warren N. Shadwick
... ihnp4!uw-beaver!tikal!shad

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (01/29/86)

(net.legal readers: this started in net.taxes but is getting into
 general legal issues as well)

In article <662@decwrl.DEC.COM> alpert@chovax.DEC writes:

> (David Sherman writes:)
>>Well, as a tax lawyer (albeit Canadian) I think I *will* jump all
>>over you.   I would like to see more details before I am prepared to
>>believe your assertions about "political prisoners" and "guilty of no
>>crime other than...".
>
>The simple fact is that the majority of persons in the U.S. who
>are convicted of "tax crimes" are political prisoners.

Why is that a simple fact? I see nothing in your posting which makes
clear that it is a fact.

>							For example,
>as Schiff points out, nowhere in our tax code is anyone "required"
>to file "income" tax returns, nowhere is the language "mandatory"
>or "required" used in connection with "income" tax returns, nor
>is failing to file such returns specifically made a crime with
>specific penalties.

I would assume it's up to the courts to determine what is or
is not required by the laws of any given jurisdiction. There is
no question that there is an Internal Revenue Code in your country,
and that it was enacted by your federal legislators. Whether it
requires filing, and what filing it requires, can obviously be
determined by the courts.

>		In addition, our tax agency regularly breaks
>all laws, from the Constitution to the tax code itself, in the normal
>course of their business.

Again, if this is so, the courts should be there to protect you.

>The reason a jury could be persuaded to convict Schiff is quite simple,
>it is the principle of the Big Lie at work, with a good dose of
>fear of the IRS thrown in for good measure.

I have some difficulty with this analysis. First of all, this "Big Lie"
that you allege could certainly be counteracted with appropriate proof
by Schiff's lawyers, assuming they have a legal basis for argument.
Secondly, are you seriously suggesting that jurors are fearful that
they personally will be harassed by the IRS if they come down with a
decision adverse to that agency? I find that suggestion somewhat repugnant,
and would like to see evidence of such activities.  I have no doubt that
if any government agency were to try to interfere with the jury system
in this way, there would be an uproar in the media.

>					Justice in tax cases
>is nearly unknown in the U.S., one is presumed guilty by the IRS until
>proven innocent,

What the IRS presumes is irrelevant once you're into the court system.
The court, not the IRS, makes the determinations of any tax and
criminal liability.

>		the IRS has the courts in their pocket and uses
>judges as hatchetmen,

Again, I have some problems with this statement, and I think many judges
would be offended by it. Can you provide examples?

>		and they are certainly not above lying to a jury
>in a court of law.

Lying to a jury, eh? Well, the issue in the Schiff case, to my knowledge,
is not facts but law - whether, as a matter of LAW, Schiff is guilty
given certain facts.  I'm mystified as to how counsel for one side
could "lie" to a jury about the law, when the other side has all
the tools of argument at its disposal.

To put it another way: if it's as clear as you allege that Schiff
is no guilty, then surely Schiff's lawyer should have been able to
raise a reasonable doubt in the minds of one of the twelve jurors.
The fact that this apparently could not be done suggests, to me,
the obvious. And I will say the same about most criminal convictions.

>			Possibly in Canada things are done differently,
>but in the U.S. the IRS has nearly unlimited powers that go far beyond
>their actual legal authority.

Again, I have some problems with that statement. Americans are not
known for being reluctant to litigate. If the IRS attempts to exercise
powers which "go beyond their actual legal authority", then taxpayers,
obviously, will attempt to stop them by injunction or otherwise.
If the taxpayers succeed, then the IRS's powers have not been shown to
exist. If the taxpayers do not succeed, then the courts have determined
what the legal authority is of the IRS, and hence they are not going
beyond their legal authority.  Q.E.D.

Remember that, whether you are talking about the IRS's powers or
the obligation to file, or anything else involving statutory
interpretation, that the plain words of the statute may not say
all there is to say.  It is the job of the courts, in any case,
to interpret the statute in the context in which a dispute arises.

>For more details, see my original Schiff postings, plus the books
>by Schiff, "The Biggest Con" , "The Great Income Tax Hoax", and
>"The Social Security Swindle".
>
>			Bob Alpert
>			...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-chovax!alpert

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Osgoode Hall
Toronto, Canada  M5H 2N6
(416) 947-3466
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/29/86)

>In article <4874@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:

>> Unfortunately, Schiff's claims are very hard to verify, because
>> in order to do so one would have to read the entire tax code!

> Well, you better read and understand the entire code (USC Title 26)
> because, if you are a taxpayer, it is the only 'law' that is
> acceptable to the courts.

You are right, of course.  Unfortunately, I don't know what to
do about this because I'm sure I'm not going to live long enough
to finish it, at least if I try to understand it.

Doesn't leave me with many choices, doesn't it?

kaepplein@amber.DEC (02/01/86)

I lost respect for the court system when the Supreme Court upheld draft
registration.  Yeah, it was sexual discrimination, but they thought it in
the government's best interest.

Perhaps the US government is a little less lawless than others, but there
is no sense pretending there is justice.

Maybie you would like to talk to my co-worker about IRS harassment.  He
gave his lawyer a $nK pay-off to the IRS to make them stop, but the jerk
lawyer didn't get the IRS to sign saying they had their pound of flesh.
Consequently, the IRS is out for more.  They are in tax court now.

An IRS agent even told my co-worker that his lawyer was a jerk, because
they would have signed and left him alone.

Mark Kaepplein decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!kaepplein

In article <1082@lsuc.UUCP> dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) writes:

>In article <662@decwrl.DEC.COM> alpert@chovax.DEC writes:
>
>>							For example,
>>as Schiff points out, nowhere in our tax code is anyone "required"
>>to file "income" tax returns, nowhere is the language "mandatory"
>>or "required" used in connection with "income" tax returns, nor
>>is failing to file such returns specifically made a crime with
>>specific penalties.
>
>I would assume it's up to the courts to determine what is or
>is not required by the laws of any given jurisdiction. There is
>no question that there is an Internal Revenue Code in your country,
>and that it was enacted by your federal legislators. Whether it
>requires filing, and what filing it requires, can obviously be
>determined by the courts.

	Actually, I think you missed a bet here. Schiff's statements
are actually irrelevent, at least in my understanding of legal
language. The true relevent question is whether the tax code contains
the single word "shall" anywhere in reference to filing returns. As I
understand the accepted usage in legal documents, the word "shall" by
itself is sufficient to create a legal requirement, no other terminology
is needed. I rather strongly suspect that the tax code *does* use the
word "shall" quite frequently throughout, in which case any court in
the US, and probably most other countries as well, would rule that the
code is setting up required actions, even in the absence of explicit
criminal penalties. Also if the language of the sections of the code
creating the IRS is anything like it is for such bodies as the
Copyright Office and the FCC the powers of the IRS are indeed quite
broad as far as making rules and regulations about the income tax.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

mfidelma@bbncc5.UUCP (Miles Fidelman) (02/14/86)

I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe that:

	1. it is *not* mandatory to file an income tax return

	2. if you don't, the IRS can "estimate" your income using
	   whatever information it can get its hands on, an then
	   send you a bill - it *is* mandatory that you *pay* (as
	   opposed to filing) - note: of course if your taxes are
	   withheld, and you don't want any refund, I'll bet the
	   IRS would be happy to keep the excess if you don't file

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/17/86)

In article <1707@bbncc5.UUCP> mfidelma@bbncc5.UUCP (Miles Fidelman) writes:

>I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe that:
>
>	1. it is *not* mandatory to file an income tax return
>
>	2. if you don't, the IRS can "estimate" your income using
>	   whatever information it can get its hands on, an then
>	   send you a bill - it *is* mandatory that you *pay* (as
>	   opposed to filing) - note: of course if your taxes are
>	   withheld, and you don't want any refund, I'll bet the
>	   IRS would be happy to keep the excess if you don't file

	I think you're wrong - I belive it is mandatory to file a return,
but that's not why I'm posting. This message just reminded me of an
amusing story that I thought might provide a chuckle or two...

	I know a guy who, for a seven year period, decided that he didn't
have to file a return. He figured that the IRS was withholding money
from his paycheck, and since they already had his damned money, they had
no business making him file a return - so he didn't. So the IRS finally
decides that this is not a situation of which they are fond, so they
audited him. The funny part is - the audit showed that over those
seven years he had *overpaid* $11,000. (and this is a lower-middle
class guy living in the poor part of town - $11,000 is a BIG chunk of
money to him)

	His big problem was that he filled out his W-4 form claiming two
kids as deductions. Over the next several years there came another 4
kids (his wife was pregnant as long as I knew her), but he never bothered
to update his exemptions.

	The kicker is - because of statutes of limitations, he could only
collect about $3,000 of that 11,000. I hope he learned something from
all of this, but I doubt it.

	--MKR

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (02/26/86)

And friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) replies:

>	Actually, I think you missed a bet here. Schiff's statements
>are actually irrelevent, at least in my understanding of legal
>language. The true relevent question is whether the tax code contains
>the single word "shall" anywhere in reference to filing returns. As I
>understand the accepted usage in legal documents, the word "shall" by
>itself is sufficient to create a legal requirement, no other terminology
>is needed. I rather strongly suspect that the tax code *does* use the
>word "shall" quite frequently throughout, in which case any court in
>the US, and probably most other countries as well, would rule that the
>code is setting up required actions, even in the absence of explicit
>criminal penalties.

No, I didn't miss that point. But those who claim the tax is unconsti-
tutional are entitled to have their claim heard, and that is precisely
what the court is for. As has been pointed out by another poster, the
use of "shall" will not necessarily create an obligation (for example,
if that obligation is in conflict with your Constitution). Again: that's
why we have courts, to interpret the statute. And the courts in the U.S.
have obviously interpreted the Internal Revenue Code and determined
that the obligations it appears to create are indeed valid.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave

jeanette@randvax.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) (02/27/86)

In article <1707@bbncc5.UUCP> mfidelma@bbncc5.UUCP (Miles Fidelman) writes:

>I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe that:
>
>       1. it is *not* mandatory to file an income tax return
>
>       2. if you don't, the IRS can "estimate" your income using
>          whatever information it can get its hands on, an then
>          send you a bill - it *is* mandatory that you *pay* (as
>          opposed to filing) - note: of course if your taxes are
>          withheld, and you don't want any refund, I'll bet the
>          IRS would be happy to keep the excess if you don't file

On top of that, if you don't file, and you DO owe, rather than get a
return or break even, the IRS tacks a charge that accumulated 5% monthly.
This is in Maryland, I'm not sure if that applies to Federal.

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/04/86)

In article <65@randvax.UUCP> jeanette@rand-unix.UUCP (Jeanette Haritan) writes:
>In article <1707@bbncc5.UUCP> mfidelma@bbncc5.UUCP (Miles Fidelman) writes:
>>
>>I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe that:
>>
>>       1. it is *not* mandatory to file an income tax return
>>
>>       2. if you don't, the IRS can "estimate" your income using
>>          whatever information it can get its hands on, an then
>>          send you a bill - it *is* mandatory that you *pay* (as
>>          opposed to filing) - note: of course if your taxes are
>>          withheld, and you don't want any refund, I'll bet the
>>          IRS would be happy to keep the excess if you don't file
>
>On top of that, if you don't file, and you DO owe, rather than get a
>return or break even, the IRS tacks a charge that accumulated 5% monthly.
>This is in Maryland, I'm not sure if that applies to Federal.

	The IRS charges penalties on STATE taxes? The IRS behaves differently
in different states? Hmmmm.

--
					--MKR

If Man were meant to use the metric system, Jesus would have had
10 disciples.

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (03/06/86)

In article <1707@bbncc5.UUCP> mfidelma@bbncc5.UUCP (Miles Fidelman) writes:

>I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe that:
>
>	1. it is *not* mandatory to file an income tax return
>
>	2. if you don't, the IRS can "estimate" your income using
>	   whatever information it can get its hands on, an then
>	   send you a bill - it *is* mandatory that you *pay* (as
>	   opposed to filing) - note: of course if your taxes are
>	   withheld, and you don't want any refund, I'll bet the
>	   IRS would be happy to keep the excess if you don't file

I'm not sure that is correct. I think that sometimes they are more
concerned with following protocol according to the rules rather
than keeping your money. Bureaucrats get very disturbed when
things don't go according to the book ...

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (03/10/86)

In article <12204@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>In article <1707@bbncc5.UUCP> mfidelma@bbncc5.UUCP (Miles Fidelman) writes:
>>
>>I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe that:
>>
>>	1. it is *not* mandatory to file an income tax return
>>
>>	2. if you don't, the IRS can "estimate" your income using
>>	   whatever information it can get its hands on, an then
>>	   send you a bill - it *is* mandatory that you *pay* (as
>>	   opposed to filing) - note: of course if your taxes are
>>	   withheld, and you don't want any refund, I'll bet the
>>	   IRS would be happy to keep the excess if you don't file
>
>I'm not sure that is correct. I think that sometimes they are more
>concerned with following protocol according to the rules rather
>than keeping your money. Bureaucrats get very disturbed when
>things don't go according to the book ...

It is not reauired that you file a return, provided you pay your taxes,
BUT:  The statute of limitations (for auditing purposes) is: 3 years,
provided you filed and paid at least 75% of what you should have, 6 years
if you filed but underpaid by 25% or more.  For fraudulent returns, or
cases where no return is filed THERE IS NO STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS.  In
general it is in your interest to file.

Michael Lonetto    UUCP:(allegra!phri!lonetto)
USMAIL: Public Health Research Institute, 455 1st Ave, NY, NY 10016