[net.taxes] Silly us

<Oh oh here it comes.  Watch out boy, it'll chew you up! \
Oh oh here it comes.  The LINE EATER!  [Line eater]>

In article <513@kontron.UUCP>, cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>[Long article speaking of civil liberties abuses related to IRS and taxes]
>I've gone on a long time beating this dead horse -- but those of you
>who are so sure that our civil liberties are intact have got your heads
>inserted into Fantasyland.

**BEGIN RHETORIC**
Silly us.
I cannot help but notice however that all these very alarmist postings
(regardless of whether they are speaking of unprovoked abuses, which some are,
or of cases where the victim was substantially guilty and/or VERY foolish,
which others are) propose nothing as to what they expect the "gentle reader"
to do, if he or she is concerned about these abuses.  I kind of expected that
there would be material on who in Congress and what politicians likely to run
for Federal offices of all kinds support (or fail to oppose) this kind of
abuse and who opposes it, what other legitimate (seek to achieve results within
the law, including revisions to it, not like Posse Comitatus) political move-
ments exist which seek to curb such abuses, and the like.  As these postings
stand, they seek to provoke consternation and righteous indignation in the read-
ers, but do not suggest constructive action.  May I observe that this kind of
provokation can have quite dangerous results.  Witness the bad luck of those
who in a severe case of bullheadedness rather than reason defied the
government in an amateur, obviously foolish manner rather than seeking skilled
help.  Remember that it is our GOVERNment we are dealing with, and if
we blindly bonk our heads into its brick wall, we are likely to smash our
heads and soften the wall not a bit.  (And then, in a true reflection of our
attitudes, act VERY alarmed and surprised.) However, to continue the analogy, we
still have a say, however indirect it be, in the actions of the masons that are
constantly rebuilding and remodeling that wall.  How many of us who look at
these abuses with consternation don't even bother to vote at every election
that we are eligible to vote in, much less become active in a legitimate
political interest body?  After all, who is it that passes the legislation and
then appoints the court judges who arbitrate this kind of thing, other than our
elected officials?  And then we lament our losses of civil rights.
Silly us.
**END RHETORIC**
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (02/21/86)

In article <750@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>>[...]I've gone on a long time beating this dead horse -- but those of you
>>who are so sure that our civil liberties are intact have got your heads
>>inserted into Fantasyland.
>
>**BEGIN RHETORIC**
>Silly us.
>I cannot help but notice however that all these very alarmist postings
>[...] propose nothing as to what they expect the "gentle reader"
>to do, [...]
>Silly us.
>**END RHETORIC**
>dan levy

Silly you, Dan. You say let's get out and vote against these abuses.
1. Maybe that's what these "alarmist posters" want.
2. Maybe the New World colonists should have tried to work things out within
   the system 2 centuries ago, too, before running off half-cocked into a
   revolution. (Or did they?)
3. Did you ever consider that maybe these abuses actually occur? That maybe
   they might not be merely local temporary breakdowns of the system, but
   symptoms of a steadier erosion somewhere? It's certainly a lot easier to
   hide your head in the sand and hope they'll go away. That's an old old way
   of dealing with problems that haven't affected you directly (yet).
Silly you.

--

rb@ccivax.UUCP (rex ballard) (02/26/86)

In article <624@sigma.UUCP> bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
>Silly you, Dan. You say let's get out and vote against these abuses.
>2. Maybe the New World colonists should have tried to work things out within
>   the system 2 centuries ago, too, before running off half-cocked into a
>   revolution. (Or did they?)
Ben Franklin was in King George's court requesting the rights normally
given to Englishmen when the news of the Boston Tea Party was announced.
(Clever timing on the part of the prime minester).  George was about
to grant those rights, when the news changed his mind completely - against
the colonists.  Had the news arrived a little later, we might still be
British subjects today.

Interesting that the basis of the American revolution was the suspension
of rights (required to enforce collection of taxes).

Interesting also that the median tax rate during the revolution was much
lower as a percentage than the median federal income tax rate of 1984.

A New York City resident making $30,000 can pay a tax of over 50% when
Federal, FICA (Not officially a tax, but same effect), State Income, City
Income, Sales (max 7%), Property (Renters pay, but don't get credit), and
Excise tax are all paid.  The employee actually recieves less than 50%
of the actual money spent by the employer on his behalf.  Remember
the employers contribution to FICA, unemployment insurance, workmans
compensation, federally mandated insurances and taxes.

A lottery winner actually won $1 million, and ended up with $20,000
"after taxes".

One invester owned utility has to keep 5 different sets of books to
satisfy federal and state mandated requirements.  Some corporations
spend more on the paperwork of avoiding taxes (deductions), than
their total employee paid income tax.  Many individuals pay more
to their tax accountant than they pay in income tax.

There are two known ways to raise taxes without a congressional vote.
One of those can be done by a person who is not even an elected
official.  The other requires co-operation between non-elected parties.

The group most likely to support "rights" is also the group most likely
to raise taxes.

Is the authority given to the IRS a sign of eroding rights?

Let's put it this way, when a government gets hungry enough, it will
eat anything, including human rights.

In article <433@ccivax.UUCP> rb@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) writes:
>A lottery winner actually won $1 million, and ended up with $20,000
>"after taxes".

I assume the lottery winner won $50,000 a year for 20 years, and ended up
with $20,000 of the first $50,000 payment.  This may be too much of a tax
bite, but it isn't obviously and absurdly so.

rb@ccivax.UUCP (rex ballard) (03/10/86)

In article <1171@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>In article <433@ccivax.UUCP> rb@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) writes:
>>A lottery winner actually won $1 million, and ended up with $20,000
>>"after taxes".
>I assume the lottery winner won $50,000 a year for 20 years, and ended up
>with $20,000 of the first $50,000 payment.  This may be too much of a tax
>bite, but it isn't obviously and absurdly so.

No, actually this was the final amount.  Among the problems, he did not
properly declare the income and paid heavy penalties, he tried to go
to Canada to avoid taxation (it backfired, Canada wanted tax too)
He also had to pay taxes, interest and penalties to two different states
(one of them New York).  If he had just paid his taxes to everybody up
front, he would have gotten about $200,000, and paid sales/excise taxes
depending on how he spent it.
This happened about two years ago.

Note: I found out my perspective may be a little clouded. N.Y.N.Y. has
a 65% higher avarage real tax burdon than the national average.  I heard this
on NPR along with the actual burdon, but can't remember what that was
(around 50% I think).  This did not include F.I.C.A. (not really a
tax, but hurts like one), excise taxes (alcohol, cigarettes, tobacco...),
or indirect taxes like tariffs on imports.

Anybody know which state has the lowest REAL TAX burdon?
What's California like?
Anybody know what the total budget of federal and ALL state and local
governments is?  How does it compare to GNP?

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/17/86)

>>A lottery winner actually won $1 million, and ended up with $20,000
>>"after taxes".
>
>I assume the lottery winner won $50,000 a year for 20 years, and ended up
>with $20,000 of the first $50,000 payment.  This may be too much of a tax
>bite, but it isn't obviously and absurdly so.

	What's the highest tax bracket in the US? I thought it was about
50% or so, but I may very well be wrong. Even with state and local taxes,
I am surprised that anybody only gets to keep 2/5 of their income.

--
					--MKR

Sometimes even the President of the United States must have to
stand naked.    - Dylan