[net.taxes] Low tax burden

oster@ucblapis.BERKELEY.EDU (David Phillip Oster) (03/14/86)

In article <456@ccivax.UUCP> rb@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) writes:
>Anybody know which state has the lowest REAL TAX burdon?
What is the tax burden in the other English speaking countries?
How do Canada, Ireland, South Africa, Britain, New Zealand, and Australia
compare with us?  (Is everybody crazy or just us Americans?)
--- David Phillip Oster
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (03/17/86)

In article <456@ccivax.UUCP> rb@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) writes:
>Anybody know which state has the lowest REAL TAX burdon?

I don't know about the lowest, but I hear that Washington (the state) has
one of the *highest*, in spite of not having an "income tax". They hit you
for everything else, instead!

On the other hand, by taxing everything else to death you also get to hit up
the tourists, too! Side note: There's a rumour that the Washington highway
patrol (who _love_ to ambush motorists in freeway speed traps) are planning
an extra special effort this summer in honour of Expo '86. A little extra
cash for money-starved Washington..

guy@slu70.UUCP (03/26/86)

In article <655@sigma.UUCP>, bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
> In article <456@ccivax.UUCP> rb@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) writes:
>
> I don't know about the lowest, but I hear that Washington (the state) has
> one of the *highest*, in spite of not having an "income tax". They hit you
> for everything else, instead!

They have one of the highest if not *the* highest liquor taxes in the country.
If you're traveling through, buy your liquor elsewhere.