[net.taxes] Hansen

ins_apmj@jhunix.UUCP (Patrick M Juola) (08/07/86)

In article <1067@masscomp.UUCP> alang@masscomp.UUCP (Alan Groupe) writes:
>In article <2002@mtgzz.UUCP> eme@mtgzz.UUCP (e.m.eades) writes:
>>
>>I have heard of a book by a former Congresscritter (I like that name :)
>>who challenged the IRS.  During his next election, the IRS started
>>investigating him for tax fraud and tax evasion.  He lost the election
>>and the IRS declared that their investigations uncovered nothing and
>>all charges were dropped.  I believe the book was suppose to be
>>autobiographical,  anyone know who the congresscritter was and what
>>his book was called?
>>E.Eades
>
>I believe you are talking about George Hansen of Idaho. The book is
>called "To Harrass our People".

(Aaaauugh, not George's Dragons again....)   Hansen has been in trouble with the
IRS since he was elected.  There's a very simple reason.  The man has the IQ of
a water buffalo and his business ethics make Nixon look like Gandhi.  He lost
in 1984 despite the greatest Republican landslide since Nixon in the second-most
conservative state in the US (Sorry, Utah, but even *we* can't touch you) since
he would have had to serve the first half of his term in Federal prison for
fraud and failure to disclose income.

He's been accused (with evidence) of taking bribes (remember the Hunt brothers
and their silver?  He does...), lying on the witness stand, fraud, etc.  His
election tactics are a collection of the greatest cheap shots since Jackson
discovered the unwashed masses.  After he lost the election in 84, he spent the
next four months (when he wasn't appealing his conviction) trying to persuade
the state of Idaho to have a *second* recount, based on about thirty voter
registration cards in one county that he felt weren't *legal* voters.  (probably
Democrats.)  (BTW, the first recount *doubled* his opponent's lead....)

In short, if the IRS actually did investigate him and couldn't find anything,
that's evidence to me that he bought the investigator.  I'd institute a
competency hearing immediately.

--
  seismo!umcp-cs \                      	Pat Juola
    ihnp4!whuxcc  > !jhunix!ins_apmj		Hopkins Maths

	Now accepting applications for a new .signature quote....