[net.micro.atari] Rogue and Empire for Atari

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (03/11/85)

*** The Atari scores an excellent hit...you feel delighted! ***

   Epyx, a computer game company, now has both Rogue and Empire available
for Atari computers.  They were announced at the Las Vegas CES show and
are adaptations of their mainframe origins.

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's sort of a threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

freak@ihu1n.UUCP (c e malloy) (03/21/85)

>    Epyx, a computer game company, now has both Rogue and Empire available
> for Atari computers.  They were announced at the Las Vegas CES show and
> are adaptations of their mainframe origins.

While I enjoy playing Rogue, and I enjoyed (past tense [we don't have it
anymore]) playing Empire, two questions come to mind.

1) Will the Epyx versions be *just* like the main-frame versions?
	I think not.  There is not enough memory on the Atari computers
	to run a program as complex as Rogue or Empire.  The code for Rogue
	is over 250K.  There are over 80 monsters in the version that I
	play.  Add to that: various weapons, armor, potions, scrolls, wands
	staffs, rings, etc.  And don't forget about the randomly generated
	rooms, halls, traps, and other things.  It just won't fit in 48K,
	64K or even in the 160K (you can get that high if you have a 128K
	RamPower).

2) Which version of Rogue and Empire will be released?
	There are as many versions of Rogue as there are machines that
	it runs on.  There are two versions on this machine alone.  And
	what about Empire?  Which version will that be?  Will they release
	the original (where you play against the machine) or the version
	that we had here (where different players played against each
	other)?

One final comment.  When I read the article in Antic about the release
of both Rogue and Empire, I called 10 different places that carry Atari
software.  Everyone said the same thing: "Never heard of it."  They may
both turn out to be like BallBlaster.  Lots of copies exist, but you
can't buy one to save your soul.

From inside the Tesseract of
	Clancy Malloy

rroux@spp3.UUCP (Ray Roux) (03/22/85)

> *** The Atari scores an excellent hit...you feel delighted! ***
>
>    Epyx, a computer game company, now has both Rogue and Empire available
> for Atari computers.  They were announced at the Las Vegas CES show and
> are adaptations of their mainframe origins.
>
> ---
> Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

Don't get your hopes up, I talked to the Epyx people at the CES show
and they have no current plans to port these to the Atari. They, like
many others, are taking a "wait and see" attitude. I just got a
retailers information sheet from Epyx and the only new games they show
available for the Atari are the two Lucas games.

Hopefully Atari will be able to convince software developers that the
machine isn't dead and that we users are hungry for new, GOOD,
software.

Has anyone seen Alternate Reality on the shelves yet?

--

   Ray Roux
	{ucbvax|decvax}!trwrb!trwspp!spp3!rroux

kek@mgweed.UUCP (Kit Kimes) (03/22/85)

Just because a software product is announced at the CES show, doesn't
mean it is immediately available.  Many of the games announced at the
Summer CES that I attended last year were not available until almost
Christmas time.  I wasn't able to get Spy-vs-Spy until late November.
In addition, many of the programs will be available mail order before
they are available in your local store.  Many of the owners of these
places are real fans and make an effort to get the newest programs as
soon as they are available.  When did EPYX say these games would ship?
They usually announce availability at the same time.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T Consumer Products
					Montgomery Works
					Montgomery, Il. 60538-0305
					..!ihnp4!mgweed!kek

[............]
>Hopefully Atari will be able to convince software developers that the
>machine isn't dead and that we users are hungry for new, GOOD,
>software.

>Has anyone seen Alternate Reality on the shelves yet?

>   Ray Roux

Here here!  And, no, I haven't seen Alternate Reality yet, but I am
hungrily awaiting same.  What's the news on the Trillium stuff?
Anything happening there?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

peterw@reed.UUCP (Peter Williams) (03/24/85)

In article <212@ihu1n.UUCP> freak@ihu1n.UUCP (c e malloy) writes:
>1) Will the Epyx versions be *just* like the main-frame versions?
>	I think not.  There is not enough memory on the Atari computers
>	to run a program as complex as Rogue or Empire.  The code for Rogue
>	is over 250K.  There are over 80 monsters in the version that I
>	play.  Add to that: various weapons, armor, potions, scrolls, wands
>	staffs, rings, etc.  And don't forget about the randomly generated
>	rooms, halls, traps, and other things.  It just won't fit in 48K,
>	64K or even in the 160K (you can get that high if you have a 128K
>	RamPower).

I wrote a version of rogue 5.2 w/52 monsters and more armor/weapons/stuff,
and it fit (tightly) on one sssd disk.  I wrote it in 6502 assembly, and
with a little disk action for the map generator, and the not-so-often used
strings, it worked fine.  I even had about 3-4k left over for other stuff I
might add.

				Peter Williams
				tektronix!reed!peterw

freak@ihu1n.UUCP (c e malloy) (03/27/85)

> I wrote a version of rogue 5.2 w/52 monsters and more armor/weapons/stuff,
> and it fit (tightly) on one sssd disk.  I wrote it in 6502 assembly, and
> with a little disk action for the map generator, and the not-so-often used
> strings, it worked fine.  I even had about 3-4k left over for other stuff I
> might add.

	I did not mean to infer that it couldn't be done, only that it
could not be as complex as the version that I use on that Unix machine
that it runs on where I work.

From inside the Tesseract of
	Clancy Malloy

[,............]
>I wrote a version of rogue 5.2 w/52 monsters and more armor/weapons/stuff,
>and it fit (tightly) on one sssd disk.  I wrote it in 6502 assembly, and
>with a little disk action for the map generator, and the not-so-often used
>strings, it worked fine.  I even had about 3-4k left over for other stuff I
>might add.
>			Peter Williams

What does it run on?   Are you marketing it or giving it away?  Is
the source available?

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (03/27/85)

In article <212@ihu1n.UUCP> freak@ihu1n.UUCP (c e malloy) writes:
>1) Will the Epyx versions be *just* like the main-frame versions?
>	I think not.  There is not enough memory on the Atari computers
>	to run a program as complex as Rogue or Empire.  The code for Rogue
>	is over 250K.  There are over 80 monsters in the version that I
>	play.  Add to that: various weapons, armor, potions, scrolls, wands
>	staffs, rings, etc.  And don't forget about the randomly generated
>	rooms, halls, traps, and other things.  It just won't fit in 48K,
>	64K or even in the 160K (you can get that high if you have a 128K
>	RamPower).

The Epyx versions will be virtually identical to 5.3 rogue, distributed
with 4.2bsd.

mzk@homxa.UUCP (Michael Zvi Krumbein Consultant ) (03/28/85)

> I wrote a version of rogue ... 6502 machine lang.

Um .. for what machine? You wouldn't be interested in selling it (is that
legal ? ) for a , um, nominal cost so that we can, um, get some work done,
would you ?

BTW, does anyone know how or if one can get the Tech. Ref. Manual (ATARI).
(& the 1200XL supplement) -- I haven't yet managed to get through to ATARI.

axk8358@acf4.UUCP (>> Alex Kriger <<) (04/03/85)

/* acf4:net.micro.atari / peterw@reed.UUCP (Peter Williams) / 10:48 pm  Mar 23, 1985 */
In article <212@ihu1n.UUCP> freak@ihu1n.UUCP (c e malloy) writes:
>1) Will the Epyx versions be *just* like the main-frame versions?
>	I think not.  There is not enough memory on the Atari computers
>	to run a program as complex as Rogue or Empire.  The code for Rogue
>	is over 250K.  There are over 80 monsters in the version that I
>	play.  Add to that: various weapons, armor, potions, scrolls, wands
>	staffs, rings, etc.  And don't forget about the randomly generated
>	rooms, halls, traps, and other things.  It just won't fit in 48K,
>	64K or even in the 160K (you can get that high if you have a 128K
>	RamPower).

I wrote a version of rogue 5.2 w/52 monsters and more armor/weapons/stuff,
and it fit (tightly) on one sssd disk.  I wrote it in 6502 assembly, and
with a little disk action for the map generator, and the not-so-often used
strings, it worked fine.  I even had about 3-4k left over for other stuff I
might add.

				Peter Williams
				tektronix!reed!peterw
/* ---------- */
 When I noticed your note and a question whether you market it, or give it
away, I eagerly looked through the rest of responces, but there was no answer
      Please answer.  I would love to get a copy (trade?)

                         Alex Kriger.
                              axk8358@acf4 (sorry, I do not know the whole path)                                            but maybe my consequent notes would
                                            help!)
I hope you do respond.

axk8358@acf4.UUCP (>> Alex Kriger <<) (04/03/85)

/* acf4:net.micro.atari / axk8358@acf4.UUCP (>> Alex Kriger <<) /  8:00 pm  Apr  2, 1985 */
/* acf4:net.micro.atari / peterw@reed.UUCP (Peter Williams) / 10:48 pm  Mar 23, 1985 */
In article <212@ihu1n.UUCP> freak@ihu1n.UUCP (c e malloy) writes:
>1) Will the Epyx versions be *just* like the main-frame versions?
>	I think not.  There is not enough memory on the Atari computers
>	to run a program as complex as Rogue or Empire.  The code for Rogue
>	is over 250K.  There are over 80 monsters in the version that I
>	play.  Add to that: various weapons, armor, potions, scrolls, wands
>	staffs, rings, etc.  And don't forget about the randomly generated
>	rooms, halls, traps, and other things.  It just won't fit in 48K,
>	64K or even in the 160K (you can get that high if you have a 128K
>	RamPower).

I wrote a version of rogue 5.2 w/52 monsters and more armor/weapons/stuff,
and it fit (tightly) on one sssd disk.  I wrote it in 6502 assembly, and
with a little disk action for the map generator, and the not-so-often used
strings, it worked fine.  I even had about 3-4k left over for other stuff I
might add.

				Peter Williams
				tektronix!reed!peterw
/* ---------- */
 When I noticed your note and a question whether you market it, or give it
away, I eagerly looked through the rest of responces, but there was no answer
      Please answer.  I would love to get a copy (trade?)

                         Alex Kriger.
                            axk8358@acf4 (sorry, I do not know the whole path)
                                            but maybe my consequent notes would
                                            help!)
I hope you do respond.

mcb8391@acf4.UUCP (mike b) (04/09/85)

  hello there.... i dont know if you saw the earlier note i left you,
but i would be interested in buying a copy.   Would love to have rogue
at home.    Thnx.
              Mike Bassman