[net.micro.atari] 800XL Tape Boot

bsw@whuts.UUCP (WALDEN) (06/10/85)

I just purchased an 800XL due do the sudden price drop.

I previously had an 800, and have a lot of games on tape.
On the 800 to boot of off the tape, you turned on the computer while
holding down the START key. I can't seem to find out in the manual
how to do this on the XL. Doing it the old way still comes up with the
built-in BASIC.

Thanx,

Brian Walden

USENET: ...!ihnp4!whuts!bsw

ARPANET: \
BITNET:   -  You're on your own to get to USENET, because I don't know
CSNET:   /

"No matter where you go, there you are." - B.Banzai

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (06/11/85)

To avoid getting into basic on booting up the XL, hold down the OPTION key.

scott weisman@sdcc13.UUCP (scott " " weisman) (06/11/85)

In article <129@whuts.UUCP>, bsw@whuts.UUCP (WALDEN) writes:
> I just purchased an 800XL due do the sudden price drop.
>
> I previously had an 800, and have a lot of games on tape.
> On the 800 to boot of off the tape, you turned on the computer while
> holding down the START key. I can't seem to find out in the manual
> how to do this on the XL. Doing it the old way still comes up with the
> built-in BASIC.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Brian Walden
>
> USENET: ...!ihnp4!whuts!bsw
>
> ARPANET: \
> BITNET:   -  You're on your own to get to USENET, because I don't know
> CSNET:   /
>
> "No matter where you go, there you are." - B.Banzai

actually, you must hold down the option key(to disable basic)and the
start key(for cassette boot)at the same time. this should work, but if
it doesn't then it doesn't. was that a disclaimer or what?

you can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think! -- unknown

tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (06/12/85)

I haven't tried this, but you might try pressing both START and OPTION when
turning on the Atari.  START by itself causes the Atari to beep (for a tape
load) but probably returns to BASIC afterwards.  OPTION by itself causes the
Atari to lock out BASIC in favor of 8K more of usable RAM.  The combination
might have the same effects as pressing START on an original Atari 800.