[net.micro.atari] Crismire, where are you?

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (08/07/85)

POSTING THIS FOR SOMEONE ELSE!  DON'T RESPOND TO ME!

From: Victor Frank <FRANK@sri-vax.ARPA>
Subject: CRISMIRE, WHERE ARE YOU? (ATARI 520ST)

        <<<<< PLEASE FORWARD TO USENET (net.micro.atari) >>>>>

     I have been waiting almost 8 months for this.  Regarding
cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP, dated 19-Jan-85, by Ernie Longmire,
entitled Crismire Predicts: Atari.

     Ernie, perhaps I'm being a bit premature, but I wonder if you
could keep an eye on this "Crismire" friend of yours.  Just in case
he decides to skip the country, that is!  There are a number of
"Jack" fans out here just dying to see him eat that IBM PC-AT.  We
could probably find a number of dealers that would love to sell him
one for that purpose too.

     I have just received a short extra issue of DTACK Grounded.
Our friend Felgercarb has just purchased a Jackintosh with Color
Monitor over the counter at his local Computerland for $995, and is
sending his $300 for a developer's kit to Atari.  He may yet find a
mass market for HALGOL.  There is no BASIC yet for the Jacki.

     In peeking under GEM, he finds that TOS (Tramiel's Operating
System) is CPM/68K-like.  We wonder, could it be that most
purchasers will opt to spend an extra $200 for the color monitor,
and could it be that a reasonable fraction will ditch the GEM
interface?  Felgercarb says that 20 mouse operations and 8 disk
swaps are needed to copy a disk (single drive, single side).  "THIS
IS MORE USER-FRIENDLY THAN "COPYAB" FOLLOWED BY A COUPLE OF "Y"

     Is this the next hacker's machine?

     Thirty days and counting, Crismire!

                                Regards,

                                Victor R. Frank, Editor