[net.micro.atari] File Transfer Protocals

granvold@tymix.UUCP (Tom Granvold) (09/20/85)

-

A couple of weeks ago I posted an article asking how best to transmit
files and programs for machines like the Amiga and ST. These are the
responces that I received. Any more comments? I am going to ask in
net.micro.mac what they use and how well has it worked. I feel like
an infidel about to journey into the holy land :-). I will post any
interesting responces here.

Thanks to all who replied,
Tom Granvold
ucbvax!allegra!oliveb!tymix!granvold

granvold@tymix.UUCP (Tom Granvold) (09/21/85)

_

> [...]

>sub fields:
>
>4a) The "directory info" that would make sense to put in human readable
>(i.e., uncompressed) form.  File name is an obvious candidate here.  If the
>file name is not compressed, it will be readable without unpacking the file.
>Again, this just makes it a little easier to figure out what the transfer
>file contains without taking the time/trouble to unpack it.
>
>*** the fields above this line are in uncompressed, human readable form ***
>
>4b) The rest of the "directory info", in compressed form, if appropriate.
>
>5) The actual contents of the file, converted to ascii and probably compressed
>
>6) A checksum
>
>Anyway, these are just a few random thoughts.  It would be nice to know
>more about how the Macintosh folks do it, and what pitfalls they've
>encountered.  I agree with you that it'd be nice to get something like

Sorry that I ended up sending two copies of the same article.

Tom Granvold
ucbvax!allegra!oliveb!tymix!granvold

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (09/26/85)

I'd think that uuencode/uudecode would be fine. I've gotten IBM programs
that way, and we know there's a 'C' compiler for the Amiga. I'd also like
to suggest that where possible *sources* be posted, in plain text format.
They're much more useful than binaries...