[net.micro.atari] --- TOS & GEM

nep.pgelhausen@AMES-VMSB.ARPA (09/27/85)

This msg was meant to clear up a few misconceptions, although I think
it added at least one...:

> Subj:	 Notes on the Atari ST (about 60 lines)
>
> This is in response to an article by Rex Ballard which was a reply to a reply
> on Amiga memory management.  Since the topic is the Atari ST I decided to post
> You also mentioned TOS, which is reportedly a version of CP/M-68K.  According
> to the documentation I have, it is not.  TOS is a variant of a Digital
> Research operating system called GEMDOS, which looks very much like a 68K
> implementation of MS-DOS (or PC-DOS if you prefer).  Like MS-DOS, it has a

GEM (not GEMDOS) is NOT an operating system.  It is an operating environment
which is run on top of an operating system.  TOS (which may-or-may-not be
a variant of CPM-68k) is the operating system.  It would look very much
like the IBM PC-DOS in its structure, as GEM was originally intended for
use on the IBM-PC.  The GEM running on the ST IS the DR operating environ-
ment, not a variant thereof.

I think that covers it.....

			-Richard Hartman
			max.hartman@ames-vmsb