[net.micro.atari] Department Store ST-520s?

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (09/16/85)

In my (long and tedious) search for a local ST-520 dealer, I came
across a soon-to-be Amiga dealer.  His customers have seen ST-520s
in Macy's in New York City.

Can anyone confirm this?  ST-520's in department stores would be a
death blow to Atari's chances of finding "serious" dealers (ones who
are willing to service the machines.)
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any

mcewan@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (09/18/85)

> In my (long and tedious) search for a local ST-520 dealer, I came
> across a soon-to-be Amiga dealer.  His customers have seen ST-520s
> in Macy's in New York City.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?  ST-520's in department stores would be a
> death blow to Atari's chances of finding "serious" dealers (ones who
> are willing to service the machines.)

I played with a ST-520 in a department store in Binghamton, NY over
2 weeks ago.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"They're clumsy. They're out of shape. They're dead."

davecl@orca.UUCP (Dave Clemans) (09/23/85)

Some chain (I forget the name; maybe Computerland?) has opened a branch
within a local "high-end" department store.  Maybe you've seen something
like that?

dgc

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (09/24/85)

I have heard that the st is being carried in New England by the 'Lechmere'
department store chain...
ihnp4!inmet!ada-uts!hedger

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (09/25/85)

In article <1758@orca.UUCP> davecl@orca.UUCP (Dave Clemans) writes:
>Some chain (I forget the name; maybe Computerland?) has opened a branch
>within a local "high-end" department store.  Maybe you've seen something
>like that?
>
>dgc

A number of regional dept. stores (Abraham & Straus in NYC metro,
Woodward & Lothrop in DC, etc.) have a 'Computer Depot' department.
When I mentioned to someone in the DC store above that I had seen
a similar department in a different dept. store around NYC, I was
informed they were an independent operation which provided an 'instant'
computer department for such stores.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
ARPA: petsd!pedsgd!bobh@topaz
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "BOO! We changed Coke again! BLEAH! BLEAH!"- The 'Boogums', Bloom County

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (09/25/85)

Is it my imagination, or is 42nd St Photo selling the 520ST at
full price?  They seem to be asking 999 for the version with color
monitor.  I didn't think they ever sold anything at full price.
Has Tramiel found some magic way to bind sellers effectively to
list prices?

--
scott preece
ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece

bfisher.ES@XEROX.ARPA (09/30/85)

Wait for a rainy day in New York in the middle of the week and then give
them a call --  haggling are sometimes in order.

bf