[net.micro.atari] Infoworld's Dvorak and the Amiga, and Big, Slimy Atari Ads

davidl@teklds.UUCP (David Levine) (10/02/85)

In article <438@gumby.UUCP> foust@gumby.UUCP writes:
>Has everyone seen the latest ad from Atari on the back of the latest
>(Sept. 9) Infoworld?
> [...]
>The ad has pictures of a Mac, an AT, and an Amiga (not a picture, a
>sketch in blueprint blue) across the top.  The ad says "There's only
>one word for these prices: Rip-off."
> [...]
>		Atari ST	IBM AT		Mac	Amiga
>Price		799		4675		2795	1795
> [...]
>color		640x200		640x200		None	640x200***

I realize it's only a $200 difference, but I think it's awfully slimy to
quote the monochrome price and brag about color...

Personally, I'm amazed they would even release a color display with
such a strange ratio of vertical to horizontal resolution, never mind
feature it in the ads.  I mean, the document icons are so tall and
skinny that they look more like drinking glasses than pieces of paper,
and the text looks like it's all Courier Ultra Condensed.  Ick.  One of
the hallmarks of Xerox Star (now called "Macintosh") user interface
technology is the square-pixel-ratio bitmap.  Hasn't anyone learned
that it takes more than little pictures to make an interface easy to
use?

David D. Levine       (...decvax!tektronix!teklds!davidl)    [UUCP]
                      (teklds!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA/CSNET]

Fischer.pa@XEROX.ARPA (10/04/85)

    One of the hallmarks of Xerox Star (now called "Macintosh")
    user interface technology is the square-pixel-ratio bitmap.
    Hasn't anyone learned that it takes more than little pictures
    to make an interface easy to use?

Sure, have you seen the successor to the Star from Xerox?  Its called
Viewpoint and is a complete rewrite of the Star software.  Its really
amazing!  Kind of like a grown up Mac interface.

(ron)

turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel @ The Houses of the Holy) (10/07/85)

> In article <438@gumby.UUCP> foust@gumby.UUCP writes:
> >Has everyone seen the latest ad from Atari on the back of the latest
> >(Sept. 9) Infoworld?
> > [...]
> >The ad has pictures of a Mac, an AT, and an Amiga (not a picture, a
> >sketch in blueprint blue) across the top.  The ad says "There's only
> >one word for these prices: Rip-off."
> > [...]
> >		Atari ST	IBM AT		Mac	Amiga
> >Price		799		4675		2795	1795
> > [...]
> >color		640x200		640x200		None	640x200***
>
> Personally, I'm amazed they would even release a color display with
> such a strange ratio of vertical to horizontal resolution, never mind
> feature it in the ads.  I mean, the document icons are so tall and
> skinny that they look more like drinking glasses than pieces of paper,
> and the text looks like it's all Courier Ultra Condensed.  Ick.  One of
> the hallmarks of Xerox Star (now called "Macintosh") user interface
> technology is the square-pixel-ratio bitmap.  Hasn't anyone learned
> that it takes more than little pictures to make an interface easy to
> use?
>
> David D. Levine       (...decvax!tektronix!teklds!davidl)    [UUCP]
>                       (teklds!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA/CSNET]

the answer to the question of resolution is right there before your weak
eyes, (hint! check the res in col 2) now as to why IBM chose that res is a
good question. As to how pretty the pictures are, i dont care if they look
like soda straws just so they function properly, keep your eyes on the donut
not the hole etc.
--
			god bless Lily St. Cyr
			 -Rocky Horror Picture Show

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
	Santa Clara, CA 95052-9400
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!negami!turner