[net.micro.atari] sources for the OS

rosalia@reed.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (10/06/85)

***** "I'm hungry, give me pizza, not ascii text" *****

    This is a question about what comes with the developers package:
I heard that you get the source for GEM with the package, but I'm
not sure if you get the sources for the underlying operating system.

    Also, is Atari (or DRI) sending updates on the opearting system
and on the development system? It would be really useful since I keep
hearing that there are changes to GEM coming up, and a new text editor
to go with the developers system.

    Are you developers happy with the package? Does it really allow
you to program? How good is Hippo C in comparison? Thank you very
much,
						Mark Galassi
					...!tektronix!reed!rosalia
					...!tektronix!tekig4!rosalia

randy@nlm-vax.ARPA (Rand Huntzinger) (10/08/85)

In article <1974@reed.UUCP> rosalia@reed.UUCP (Mark Galassi) writes:

>    This is a question about what comes with the developers package:
>I heard that you get the source for GEM with the package, but I'm
>not sure if you get the sources for the underlying operating system.

You do not get sources of GEM or the underlying operating system (TOS).  You
do get a listing of the source of the BIOS portion of the operating system and
the boot block (bootstrap loader).

>    Also, is Atari (or DRI) sending updates on the opearting system
>and on the development system? It would be really useful since I keep
>hearing that there are changes to GEM coming up, and a new text editor
>to go with the developers system.

Atari says they'll send updates if you return your signed license agreement.
I haven't received one yet, but there may not have been one to send.  I am
looking forward to getting the icon editor, since then we should be able to
fix those funny looking 640x200 icons.

>    Are you developers happy with the package? Does it really allow
>you to program? How good is Hippo C in comparison? Thank you very
>much,

The developers package is acceptable, but not super.  It's probably CPM 68K
code which has been moved to the Atari environment.  Not too fast, but it does
work and you can develop software with it.  Portions of the library is missing
(no ctype stuff for example) and some things are buggy (stdio printf can
trash memory).  I haven't tried the GEM calls yet, since it takes quite a
while to study them.  Hopefully they are much better debugged.

From what I understand, the contents of the developers package is a moving
target.  Those who received it earlier or later than me may have something
different.  I know they changed editors from Mince to MicroEmacs, and some
folk have complained they don't have standard I/O.

I can't compare the developer's kit and Hippo C since I don't have the latter.