[net.micro.atari] GEM

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (09/17/85)

In article <71@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdan@ucdavis.UUCP (Dan Gold) writes:

>> I thought that the ATARI was using a variant of CP/M-68K. That was what my
>> fallible sources informed me (confirmation or denials, anyone?).
>
>I believe that the Atari will be using the GEM system or something very
>similiar.
>
>Dan Gold

My understanding is that GEM does not replace the operating system,
but instead provides a common library of window management functions.
(It may also provide a common interface for the basic operating
system calls.)  When you run GEM on an IBM-PC, you are using a
different OS than when you run it on an Atari ST.

For example, if the underlying OS only provided for 8-character file
names, then icons could only have 8-character names.  If the OS
allows file names with spaces in them then icon names can have spaces
in them.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {voder, idi, nsc, ios, mtxinu, dual}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET

aer@alice.UucP (y) (09/20/85)

What does Mr. Franklin mean by "the millions" of CP/M-68K programs out there?

CP/M-68K is the new 68000 mpu (hence 68K) version of CP/M, or an MS-DOS
hybridized son-of-CP/M. Is it true that CP/M-68K programs are actually out
for machines other than the ST? I've never seen any myself, so I must
wonder. And would they be at all compatible with the ST?

A totally unrelated question:
 Please be subjective: What is (barring price) a better deal- an ST or an AMig
D. Rosenberg on Murray Hill /\   ATT/BTL         tel:1-201-464-5269

uucp: ..!ihnp4!alice!aer            My opinions are my own.

ditzel@ssc-bee.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (10/10/85)

Question : given Apple "software piracy"...that is ripping off the icon
nature of the user interface from Xerox's Star ...Can Xerox sue Apple
for copyright infringement??

Observation:
It seems the "new" Apple is trying to do legally what they cannot do
technologically (keep their share of the computer market).  Given the
two year lead time the mac had on the competition it's ashame they
have squandered there time with internal bickering.  Who knows maybe
when the next Apple super bowl ad comes out will get to see "the
open color mac".

On to some other questions ...
What is "portab.h" and "obind.h"?
Are these include files simply accessible to GEM Developers or can
they be acquired and used by people using Hippo C compilers?