[net.micro.atari] Adding hit points on new levels.

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (10/06/85)

Please advise: when attaining a new level, how is the number of hit
points added determined?  Is it totally random, or does it depend on
other factors (such as how much magic apparatus you're carrying or how
many points you are over the required amount to reach that level)?

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (10/11/85)

In article <> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
>Please advise: when attaining a new level, how is the number of hit
>points added determined?  Is it totally random, or does it depend on
>other factors (such as how much magic apparatus you're carrying or how
>many points you are over the required amount to reach that level)?

Well, in AD&D, you get a die rolled according to class.  Fighters are a
10-sider, so they get from 1 to 10 new HP, magic users 4-siders, thieves
6-siders, clerics get d8's, and monks get d4's.  This is modified by the
constitution of the character, adding new hit points per level- up to 4
per level if you're a fighter with an 18 constitution (sorry, only strength
gets to be exceptional and I don't know if there are any other stats in the
various rogue games- 3.6.1 doesn't have others...).
						Carl Greenberg