[net.micro.atari] Misc. comments about ST & ST questions

randy@nlm-vax.ARPA (Rand Huntzinger) (10/15/85)

I want to keep this short and sweet:

    1.  I think it's time we stopped comparing the ST and the Amiga and
        get down to business.  Both are nice machines, and this 'which is
	better' discussion is tiresome.  I feel sorry for those in this
	newsgroups who have 400/800 machines and have to wade through all
	of this.

    2.  I will post the source of my program to make a bootable DS/DD disk
	for the ST as soon as I can upload it and provide minimal docs.

    3.  The TOS system calls are similar to the MS-DOS version 2.x calls.
	If you have Hippo C and don't understand their terse docs, MS-DOS
	documentation could fill in the blanks until ST internal docs can
	be had.  The developer's license agreement keeps us mum on this.

    4.  The developer's package has Kermit, but I don't know if is a public
	domain implementation.

Too much talk already.  Randy.

kek@mgweed.UUCP (Kit Kimes) (10/17/85)

	>I feel sorry for those in this
	>newsgroups who have 400/800 machines and have to wade through all
	>of this.

I own an 8-bit ATARI and use it regularly.  Many of you know me from my
various comments and uploading the Table of Contents from ANTIC magazine
every month.

Even so, I hope to own an ST some day (probably the 260STD) so I am
greatful for all the information that is posted here every day on the
ST line of computers.  Especially am I greatful to the few that upload
information from CompuServe and other BBS's with information that we
might not see for months if at all.

Don't assume we don't appreciate this if we own an 8-bit computer.  I
mean this an no flame to the poster since I know he meant well.  Please,
if the information is primarily for the ST, so state in the subject
line as I try to do.  That allows others to skip over them if they
have no interest.  In short, I was beginning to worry about this
newsgroup until the release of the ST computers.  I'm just glad to
see it so active even if few of the articles are specifically for the
8-bit machines.  Happy computing...

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T Information Systems
					Montgomery Works
					Montgomery, Il. 60538-0305
					..!ihnp4!mgweed!kek

randy@nlm-vax.ARPA (Rand Huntzinger) (10/21/85)

In article <21045@mgweed.UUCP> kek@mgweed.UUCP (Kit Kimes) writes:

>>I feel sorry for those in this
>>newsgroups who have 400/800 machines and have to wade through all
>>of this.

>Even so, I hope to own an ST some day (probably the 260STD) so I am
>greatful for all the information that is posted here every day on the
>ST line of computers.

My point was not that we should stop talking about the ST on net.micro.atari,
but that one particular discussion (a very partisan comparison of the ST vs.
Amiga) was becoming tiresome.  That discussion seems to died down about now,
and I'm looking forward to seeing some more interesting technical discussions
of the ST.