[net.micro.atari] *Cheap* modems revisited

pickle@nmtvax.UUCP (10/08/85)

   A while back I posted an article about the Atari modem advertised in
Computer Mail Order for $30.00 and asked for info.  For the folks who
were wondering, here's a short overview of what all happened....
   October ANALOG was mentioned;  spent a few days getting a copy (Socorro
is Spanish for "One Horse Town":-), then called CMO.  A nice(!) lady named
Vicki answered everything she could--the cheap modem is sold out, the 1030
has it's software on disc, and the 850 interface is not needed.
   I really don't need a modem, so the 1030 was more than I wanted to spend.
A few pages later was the Atari ad I was informed of--in the mail now is
a check for the 830 Acoustic modem + cartridge.  At $25, you can hardly go
wrong....  When it arrives, I'll let everyone know how it works.
   MPP Microbits modem was recommended, but I couldn't find out anything
about it.  Apparently it plugs in through the 4th joystick port (a problem
on the XL series, which have only 2).  If anyone knows anything about it,
I'd like to here.
   One final thing: could someone send me some info on controlling the modem
from software.  I'd like to write a VT52 emulator with an Atari-sized window
into a full size screen.
   One other final thing: CMO has some fantastic deals.  I didn't buy the
modem from them, but I will send for the 410 recorder and a bunch of cartriges.
   I trust most of the info above is correct, but some of it comes from seeing
which way people duck when they duck my questions.  Anyone who knows otherwise,
please let me know.

Thanx for all the help,
Patrick H. Madden | "Dan said 'You're a 20-Hack', and I said 'No, I'm not a
New Mexico Tech   |  Hack, could you get me a DSR?' and he said 'No, you're a
Box 2244          |  hack.'  All I wanted was a DSR, but Dan wouldn't give it
Socorro, NM 87801 |  to me.  Just one DSR, and he wouldn't give it to me."
                              -- Sung to the tune of "Institutionalized."
       {Reality}!cmcl2!lanl!unm-cvax!nmtvax!pickle  **I've moved again.     **
                      !ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!pickle  **So, like now I'm here.**

djk611@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/11/85)

the micro bits mpp 1000e will plug into the 2nd joystick port and will work with everything up too and including an 800xl, i havent got my 130xe yet but will expect it to work with it also....i had some trouble with mine....power spikes coming through the tv and rf modulator would knock the modem off line...loose carrier...anyone else have that problem?...the software is pretty good also

turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (10/11/85)

>    A while back I posted an article about the Atari modem advertised in
> Computer Mail Order for $30.00 and asked for info.  For the folks who
> were wondering, here's a short overview of what all happened....
> Thanx for all the help,
> Patrick H. Madden | "Dan said 'You're a 20-Hack', and I said 'No, I'm not a
> New Mexico Tech   |  Hack, could you get me a DSR?' and he said 'No, you're a
> Box 2244          |  hack.'  All I wanted was a DSR, but Dan wouldn't give it
> Socorro, NM 87801 |  to me.  Just one DSR, and he wouldn't give it to me."
>                               -- Sung to the tune of "Institutionalized."
>        {Reality}!cmcl2!lanl!unm-cvax!nmtvax!pickle  **I've moved again.     **
>                       !ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!pickle  **So, like now I'm here.**

I was just over at the Atari store looking at the $27 modem, it looks good,
it plugs into the serial loop (back of the disk drive) and comes with window
software on disk which allows you to configure, print screen and xfer files
using xmodem protocal, it also has autodial with the ability to save a
directory of numbers. it also comes with a packet of free time on
compu-serve and dow-jones new retrival service. only one down side, best i
can tell its 300 baud only but for $27 who cares !!!!!--
			god bless Lily St. Cyr
			 -Rocky Horror Picture Show

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
	Santa Clara, CA 95052-9400
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!negami!turner

hugh@hcrvx1.UUCP (Hugh Redelmeier) (10/17/85)

(Context later, meat first.)

In the October ANALOG, Atari advertises an 830 modem for US$24.99.  The
"Blue Book" (a catalogue of Atari-related things (of unknown
reliability)) says that this modem requires an 850 interface unit.  The
cheapest I have seen an 850 is about US$100.

- Is the Blue Book right?
- If so, does this mean the 830 is an ordinary RS232C-to-Bell202 modem,
  usable on an ordinary (non-Atari) computer or terminal?
- Is this also true of the 835 that is no longer available from
  Computer Mail Order (see October ANALOG ad)?

Canadian prices from CMO seem to be double US prices!  And they put the
charges through your charge card when they take the order, not when they
ship (I got the statement with the charge already, but they say they
have not yet shipped!).  And they seem to have little of what interested
me in their ad.

In article <1799@saber.UUCP> turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
> I was just over at the Atari store looking at the $27 modem, it looks good,
> it plugs into the serial loop (back of the disk drive)...

What is the name of "the Atari store"?  What is the model number of
"the $27 modem"?

Hruschak.WBST@XEROX.ARPA (10/18/85)

When we decided to buy a modem for ours 800XL, the MPP Microbits was
highly recommended and difficult to acquire.  When we checked further we
learned that Microbits was going out of business and the manufacturer's
pipe line had dryed up, - our dealer could not order one.  After
checking around, another Rochester dealer located several of them, at a
significant price reduction.

We purchased and it worked well, plugging into the 800 XL joystick
connector (#2);  eventually the phone plug became disconnected from the
circuit board giving me a reason to look at it more closly.  Having
reason to open the case, I was amazed at the lack of workmanship (the
I/O connectors are glued in place, indicators are mounted on cardboard,
the AC cord strain relief grommet is mounted on cardboard).  Once I
repaired the plug (remount, solder and glue - the manufacturer clearly
missed it when glueing the I/O connectors in place).  It's now back in
service and works well - I have resolved to eventually relace the
cardboard with something more substantial.

tdn@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Thomas Newton) (10/22/85)

The Atari 830 modem is just a standard Novation CAT 300-baud acoustic modem
with Atari's name on it.  The modem has a DB-25 connector and it comes with
a DB-25 to DB-9 cable which is meant for connecting it to an Atari 850 (the
850's serial ports don't use normal-size connectors).

                                        -- Thomas Newton
                                           Thomas.Newton@spice.cs.cmu.edu