[net.micro.atari] Apple suing people, protection of ideas

ravi@eneevax.UUCP (Ravi Kulkarni) (10/21/85)

In article <184@circadia.UUCP> dave@circadia.UUCP (David Messer) writes:
>> Now, if this is the case, doesn't Apple deserve some reward
>> (aside from flattery) for making something that somebody else copied?
>
>Don't forget the Apple stole most of the ideas in the mac (as well
>as quite a few engineers) from XEROX-PARC.  Should XEROX sue Apple?
>
>> Now of course Xerox is another story.  But the Mac doesn't use the same
>> sort of pictures as Xerox products like the star, and the Mac certainly
>> wasn't claiming to be "like a Xerox".
>
>No, Apple claims to have invented it all themself.  Many people
>believe them.
>
>As far as looking like XEROX, take a look at some of the icons and
>compare them to the STAR.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't XEROX sell the AT&T PC
running GEM as their low end office automation machine? If true
apparently XEROX doesn't give much validity to Apple's copyrights,
patents, etc.

--
ARPA:	eneevax!ravi@maryland
UUCP:   [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!ravi

GMeredith.ES@XEROX.ARPA (10/22/85)

Patents can only be granted for an invention which is clearly "new" and
"not readily obvious to one familiar with the art" based on previous
inventions in the field.

What areas are covered in the Apple patent on the Mac style screen?
Much of what appears has been in use by Xerox, for one, for some time
either on the Alto, where the screen layout for Draw appears to be very
close to that for Mac's graphics, and on the 8010.

Guy