[net.micro.atari] unix on atari?

rfc@mhuxt.UUCP (CMELIK) (10/21/85)

does anyone know if somebody is porting unix
to the atari 520 st?

bob cmelik
allegra!rfc

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (10/22/85)

Just went to a meeting where the president of atari software, Sigmund
Hartmann, said an Atari Unix machine is on the way (did he say in 5-6
months?) as well as other models with more memory (1 MB or more) and
improved graphics.

--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

ted@inmet.UUCP (10/24/85)

Atari Corp. has purchased the licence for unix system V, but I don't
really know what they intend to do with it.  They may try to host a
derivative on the 520ST or they may target it for the 520TT (32/32bit).
Time will tell...
					ted@inmet

jmc@ptsfa.UUCP (Jerry Carlin) (10/24/85)

In article <1223@mhuxt.UUCP> rfc@mhuxt.UUCP (CMELIK) writes:
>does anyone know if somebody is porting unix
>to the atari 520 st?

According to Computer Systems News, 10/21/85, page 8 Atari has signed
a Unix System V source license. The article states that Unix will
be on the 1040ST (1040??) which "is slated to be unveiled during the
first quarter of 1986" and "on the company's long-promised 32 bit line."
It will not be on the 520ST (unless a third party does it).
--
voice= 415 823-2441
uucp={ihnp4,dual,qantel}!ptsfa!jmc

calway@ecsvax.UUCP (James Calloway) (10/27/85)

I recently asked Sam Tramiel about the rumour that AT&T was negotiating
to sell 520STs under its own label, and he said that was not true.
Then he said, "But we are negotiating with AT&T, and they have several
520STs. We are going to license UNIX...for the ST series and our
second-generation (TT series) computers."
Tramiel said Atari plans to have 1-meg and 2-meg ST machines in 1986.
Back in June he had told me the TT computer(s) would definitely use
the National 32032, but this time he said Atari still was choosing from
among 3 chips. He wouldn't comment further.

--

James  Calloway
The News and Observer

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (10/30/85)

> Atari Corp. has purchased the licence for unix system V, but I don't
> really know what they intend to do with it.  They may try to host a

Who knows. A point to consider is that Apple has has both UNIX and SmallTalk
licenses for quite a few years.
--
Name: Peter da Silva
Graphic: `-_-'