[net.micro.atari] origin of "personal computer"

D-ROGERS@EDWARDS-2060.ARPA (11/05/85)

From: ulysses!mhuxr!mhuxt!houxm!mtuxo!drutx!druhi!lbl@ucb-vax.berkeley.edu  (LocklearLB)

>     No, I don't remember when "PC" meant "a personal computer" in any
>generic sense.  And I doubt if you do either.  The only PC's that existed
>before IBM were "Pocket Computers".  IBM coined the term personal
>computer.
>Excuse me, but I certainly hope you meant to put a :) after that sentence.
>If you didn't, I'm sure that you never heard of an Apple personal computer
>or a Radio Shack personal computer.  Both were introduced years before
>IBM entered the market.  Neither of these was the first personal computer
>by a long shot.  The term "personal computer" has been around a lot
>long than IBM's PC has.

I hope to shout!  How about the PDP-1, PDP-8, & PDP-11 by Digital Equipment
Corp.  The PDP stood for "Personal Data Processor" and was probably the first
standalone interactive computer that didn't require massive resources needed
to support a mainframe.  I believe the first dates to the early 60's.
-------

MRC@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Mark Crispin) (11/06/85)

1) The term "personal computer" has been around since at least the early
70's.
2) A PDP-n from DEC is a "Programmed Data Processor", not a "Personal Data
Processor."  The name came about because DEC was selling to organizations
which had managerial problems in buying "computers" (which were multi-million
dollar machines even though DEC's machines weren't) but could easily purchase a
"programmed data processor."
-------

hen@bu-cs.UUCP (Bill Henneman) (11/07/85)

To the best of my recollection, DEC didn't use the word personal in
conjuction with computer until the late 70's: they certainly weren't
using it in the 60's.  I qoute from my 1963 edition of the DEC PDP1
handbook:

  PDP stands for *Programmed Data Processor* and is a trademark
  of Digital Equipment Corporation.

The same quote appears in my July, 1969 edition of DEC's
  Introduction to Programming
    PDP-8 Family Computers
and my 1970 edition of DEC's
  Small Computer Handbook

I can find no expansion of the PDP acronym in any DEC manual with
a publication data later than 1970.

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (11/07/85)

In article <12156932787.14.MRC@SIMTEL20.ARPA> MRC@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Mark Crispin) writes:
>1) The term "personal computer" has been around since at least the early
>70's.
>2) A PDP-n from DEC is a "Programmed Data Processor", not a "Personal Data
>Processor."  The name came about because DEC was selling to organizations
>which had managerial problems in buying "computers" (which were multi-million
>dollar machines even though DEC's machines weren't) but could easily purchase a
>"programmed data processor."
>-------

Just a few more tidbits (from DEC's _Guide to Personal Computing_):

   DIGITAL made quite a sensation in 1960 by announcing the first "personal"
   computer, the PDP-1.

   The PDP-1 was different in another more important way.  Users could change
   its programming midstream and "talk" to it through a simple keyboard.  It
   answered  by displaying messages or data on a small video screen or by
   typing on a printer.  [Ed. note: What a concept!]  The PDP-1 was the
   first commercial computer to offer this capability.

It also has a picture, which looks sorta like a heathkit product from
ten years ago.  Interesting.

 - joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)