[net.micro.atari] Wave form control from ST BASIC

mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) (11/13/85)

Having just received my copy of ST Basic, I've been writing some short
programs to play with the built in sound chip.  The manual page for the
"wave" command is missing the table of various envelopes available for the
sound chip.  Does anyone have such a table handy?

I HAVE figured out a few combinations.  For example this gives you a nice
"ocean wave" effect:

wave &h8,&h1,14,30000,1

Is it possible to set up two or three *seperate* envelopes?  One for each
voice perhaps?  Is I read the manual I don't think you can do it from basic,
but perhaps you could "poke" the settings into the chip?

--Dwight Mckay, ECN Software Support [...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay]

lbl@druhi.UUCP (LocklearLB) (11/13/85)

>Having just received my copy of ST Basic, I've been writing some short
>programs to play with the built in sound chip.  The manual page for the
>"wave" command is missing the table of various envelopes available for the
>sound chip.  Does anyone have such a table handy?

You might try looking at the Nov. 1985 issue of ANTIC magazine.  There is
a pretty good article about the sound chip and how to use it from C.  The
information about the chip is applicable to ST Basic usage also.

>Is it possible to set up two or three *seperate* envelopes?  One for each
>voice perhaps?  Is I read the manual I don't think you can do it from basic,
>but perhaps you could "poke" the settings into the chip?

After looking at the article in ANTIC I am inclined to say that the chip only
has the capability for one envelope.  You would think that if it has three voices
the designers would have given it three envelopes.  Sigh.....

>--Dwight Mckay, ECN Software Support [...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay]

Barry Locklear
AT&T Information Systems Labs
Denver, CO
ihnp4!druhi!lbl

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (11/16/85)

In article <3503@pur-ee.UUCP> mckay@pur-ee.UUCP (Dwight D McKay) writes:
>"wave" command is missing the table of various envelopes available for the
>sound chip.  Does anyone have such a table handy?
>
>--Dwight Mckay, ECN Software Support [...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay]

There is a wonderful article on the ST sound chip in the November issue of
Antic. Patrick Bass (ST editor) wrote a small sound program for testing
the chip, and he includes a beautiful table for the chip itself.
I don't know if that will help you because the program is written in "C".

My problem is that I have Hippo-C and I believe all the ST programs in Antic
are written in DRI-C. One question: Is there a math library (sin,cos,random)
for Hippo-C?

Aloha,
Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,dual,vortex}!islenet!jons
--
Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons

Felton.PA@XEROX.ARPA (11/21/85)

Jonathan,

	Nope, There are no floating point libraries for the Hippo-C compiler.
The cascade program in ANTIC can not be used with Hippo-C.

	John