[net.micro.atari] Atari Prototypes

aegroup@tekigm.UUCP (Dennis Ward) (11/20/85)

******Line eater, eat your heart out.

Does anyone own or have seen any of the following announced Atari computers
(either prototype, early production or ?) that they might be willing to discuss
and/or possibly sell?

The model numbers that I am interested in more information in and possibly
obtaining are:
         1400XL
	 1450XLD
	 1600XL
	 CP/M Module
	 1090XL Expansion Box

Some information has been published on both the 1400XL and the 1450XLD,
catalogs, etc. and there is some evidence that both of these saw limited
production.  I have not been able to find out to much about the 1600XL, but
speculation seems to be that it was the first prototype for the eventual 130XE
put out by the current Atari Corp.   I have seen early prototype 1090XL
expansion boxes that were not complete (i.e. no circuit board cards and
incompete stuffing of components) with no documentation.  Sear's apparently did
sell some of the CP/M modules but how many?  (Sear's did catalog both the
1450XLD and the CP/M module, but admitted to only ever stocking the CP/M module
when I tried to order both--they said that they had never received any
1450XLD's and then later said that they were out of CP/M modules.)

  Where, oh where, is net.micro.st;  let's keep net.micro.atari for 8 bit'ers!

kek@mgweed.UUCP (Kit Kimes) (11/22/85)

 >Does anyone own or have seen any of the following announced Atari computers
 >(either prototype, early production or ?) that they might be willing to
 >discuss and/or possibly sell?

 >The model numbers that I am interested in more information in and possibly
 >obtaining are:
 >       1400XL
 >	 1450XLD
 >	 1600XL
 >	 CP/M Module
 >	 1090XL Expansion Box

I saw working models (prototypes?) of both a 1400XL and a 1400XLD at the
1984 Summer Consumer Electronic Show.  That was the megabuck display just
before WB sold Atari.  The Expansion Box was also there as I recall but I
wasn't really interested.  The 1600XL was just a dream and never made
prototype stage as far as I know.  At least one of the 1400XLD and an
expansion box was put to good use.  It is the basis for the official Atari
bulletin board according to an article I read (maybe in the Atari Explorer).
Obviously, I don't have any of these for sale but I enjoy learning more
about the history of Atari and thought you might also.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T Information Systems
					Montgomery Works
					Montgomery, Il. 60538-0305
					..!ihnp4!mgweed!kek
"Power Without The Price"

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (11/25/85)

[shlurp......]

 -----------

>incompete stuffing of components) with no documentation.  Sear's apparently did
  							------------------------
>sell some of the CP/M modules but how many?  (Sear's did catalog both the

I don't think any of these things happened..  None of these items
ever made it to the market;  the 1450 series never
made it to production, and the CP/M module was dropped while still on
the drawing boards because  1) Atari determined that the market was small
and 2) the ATR8000  and one other CP/M attachment were already out (I got
this info from Atari long long ago..)  Re. the 1600XL, I've actually
only heard one other reference to it before (on SIG-ATARI); it was
slated to follow the 1400's but I don't think it got past the idea
stage either.  The 1090XL expansion box was one of
the attachments lined up for the XL series, but apparently died along
with the 1400 and 1450 when Atari (Inc.) finally went down the tubes.

All in all, it seems like it may have been a good thing after all...
The old Atari was trying to fire up a new product line that was not
significantly different from the old machines, and were based on
processors that were all but obsolete, and certainly would have been
by now, even if they weren't in late 83, considering that the Mac came
out in early '84.  (No flames please; I still use my 1200XL and I'm
not questioning the continued utility of the 8 bitters, only the
currency of their designs).

					-ravi
					{ucbvax,decvax}!mcnc!ravi