[net.micro.atari] i blew it

turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (11/17/85)

I blew it when i posted jim's code to do the bouncing ball, can someone help
me ? how do you post binaries ????

NO flames please

--
			god bless Lily St. Cyr
			 -Rocky Horror Picture Show

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
	Santa Clara, CA 95052-9400
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!negami!turner

randy@nlm-vax.ARPA (Rand Huntzinger) (11/20/85)

In article <1867@saber.UUCP> turner@saber.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
>I blew it when i posted jim's code to do the bouncing ball, can someone help
>me ? how do you post binaries ????

There is no established method for doing this for all the possible readers of
this article.  For folk using Unix, you could post using uuencode to convert
the binary into a text form.  This can be converted using uudecode under Unix
and downloaded using the binary mode of Kermit, PC Intercom, Modem, or what
have you.  Unfortunately, those who don't have Unix probably don't have access
to uuencode/uudecode.

If nobody comes up with something soon, maybe I'll brew something up which
will run on the ST and post the sources in C and/or ST Basic.

I am looking forward to seeing the ST version of the bouncing ball demo, just
to see how close it is to the Amiga demo.

					Randy

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (11/22/85)

In article <1144@nlm-vax.ARPA> randy@nlm-vax.UUCP (Rand Huntzinger) writes:
>... Unfortunately, those who don't have Unix probably don't have access
>to uuencode/uudecode.

I posted public-domain versions of uuencode and uudecode to net.sources
several weeks ago; suggest you look there.  You should be able to download
those sources, compile them on the Atari, and download uuencoded sources
(uudecoding them on the ST).

I strongly suggest this procedure over Kermit, Xmodem, or suchlike.

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (11/23/85)

     There are many hexcode formats around.  I'd like to suggest Motorola 'S'
file format.  It might be possible to standardize on this for 68000 machines.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

guest@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) (11/28/85)

> I blew it when i posted jim's code to do the bouncing ball, can someone help
> me ? how do you post binaries ????

How about using uuencode, the reciever can use uudecode on the unix machine
he is connected to (or write a simple uudecode routine), then use kermit
or xmodem to download from the local host.

rb@ccivax (Rex Ballard - Computer Consoles Incorporated).

guest@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) (11/28/85)

> >how do you post binaries ????
>
> Unfortunately, those who don't have Unix probably don't have access
> to uuencode/uudecode.
>
> If nobody comes up with something soon, maybe I'll brew something up which
> will run on the ST and post the sources in C and/or ST Basic.

May I suggest writing uudecode for the atari as well?  The actual code
should be fairly simple (longs printed out base 96) it is important to
be sure that the byte order is preserved (msb to lsb) which is less of
a problem on a 68000 than on an 8086 or VAX.

The documentation is in the UNIX manuals.  Sure beats using hex format.
Compression is 4/2 rather than 2/1 meaning less traffic.

Format (discussed in detail in uudecode(5) ) is basicly.
------------------------------cut here----------------------------------
/*
	this is an approximation of the encoder from which a
	decoder can be written
*/
uuencode(FileName,*infile)
char *FileName;
FILE *infile;
{
	long xbuf;
	int i,j,count;
	char bytarr[64];
	litbuf[5];
	printf("\nbegin .%s\n",FileName);
	while(count=fread(bytarr,1,62,file)!=EOF)
	{
		printf("%s",count+' ');  /*count between 0 and 64*/
		for(i=0,i<=count,)
		{
		   xbuf=0;
		   for(j=0,j<3,j++) /* pack next three bytes into long */
		   {
			xbuf+=xbuf<<8+bytarr[i++]; /* this prevents "flips" */
		   };
		   for(j=0,j<4,j++) /* push out as printable chars */
		   {
		   	litbuf[4-j]=xbuf%96+' '; /*insures value is printable*/
			xbuf%=96;
		   };
		printf("%s",litbuf);
		}
		printf("\n"); /* this is the end of one line */
	}
	printf("end\n");
}

I'd write the decoder, but I'm out of time.  This routine is not debugged
dress up the interface a little and post it back.  I am using vanilla
K&R because I haven't got the ST yet.  I would be interested in seeing
what won't compile, or what "extras" are needed.

rb@ccivax (rex ballard - Computer Consoles)